Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Language of Jazz - The G.S.Wellard Septet

It was raining - felines and canines were falling from the heavens - I had neither Fedora nor umbrella. I stumbled into the nearest shop which just happened to be an Age Concern Joint. I figured I might lay out on some kind of head covering. No such joy apart from a baseball cap promoting The Mets - as if! Instead I hung out and fingered the merchandise until the rain stopped.
A couple of CD's were sitting forlornly on the shelf. I had a look - Bing Sings, Bregman Swings. I remembered it from way back - one of the old groaner's better outings with Sweets and Rosolino in the band plus some tracks with Rosie Clooney. The other one was named The Language of Jazz. Sounded a drag - I guessed it would be one of those 'In the beginning Buddy Bolden created Jass etc...'
Wrong!
The perp was one G.S Wellard - not the jazziest of names - and I prepared to leave it to gather dust. However, it was still raining and I have an aversion to getting wet so I investigated further.
My eyes popped!
Steve Fishwick on trumpet, Ed Jones, tenor, Jim Mullen, hey wait a minute this could be okay and - what the heck - it's only 99p!
Thank you rain! You just done me one big favour.
Recorded in 1999 it's one of the coolest discs I've heard for a long time!
Tunes by Jay Jay, Hank Mobley, Donald Brown and others provide the perfect launch pad for these young bopsters.
Leader, Gordon Wellard, is on drums and he admirably states that the proceeds will go to a project he is involved in to bring jazz into secondary schools across the UK.
I don't know how far this project got but it sounds like it was maybe a worthy aim.
Full personel is: Steve Fishwick (tpt), Mike Feltham (tmb), Bob Martin (alto), Ed Jones (ten), Steve Ashworth/Nick Tomalin (piano), Mike Edmunds (bs/gtr), Gordon Wellard (drums), Jim Mullen (guitar on final track).
Lance.
PS: And then the rain clouds cleared and I hotfooted it back to HQ - tell you what I need more rainy days like this!

No comments :

Blog Archive