Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Now This is What I Call a Library!
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Followed by Thirteen @ Jazz Café. February 25
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Chillingham. February ...
- James Birkett & Bradley Johnston @ The Lit & Phil....
- EP Review: Jamie Smith - Kinesis
- CD Review: Matt Newton Trio - Within Reach
- RIP Franny Beecher and Paco De Lucia.
- CD Review: Nick Vayenas - Some Other Time.
- R.I.P. Mick Danby
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Update on Globe Project
- EP Review/Gig Preview: Johnny Hunter Quartet - App...
- Expect the Unexpected – Jam Session @ Salsa Cafe, ...
- Kurt Elling & Scottish National Jazz Orchestra - S...
- Continuing the Beguine - Latest from Our Man in Ho...
- Let Spin @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle February 23.
- Latest Releases From Babel
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Jazz Café. February 22
- CD Review: Introducing Nelson Pari.
- CD Review: Sandro Zerafa - The Bigger Picture
- ‘Jazz Study Links Music And Language’
- CD Review: Pat Metheny Unity Group – Kin (<->)
- Off Key Big Band @ Beamish Museum February 21
- Zara McFarlane @ Sage Gateshead. February 20.
- Darlington Jazz Club Present - Jazz @ The Forum Mu...
- CD Review: Roan Kearsey-Lawson - Presence in Mind....
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café, Newcastle February 18
- Death of an Informer
- RIP Frank Wappat
- Emcee 5 Remembered by the Safe Sextet @ Bridge Hot...
- Budtones @ Salsa Café February 15
- Now This is What I Call a Library!
- Jason Rebello Line-Up
- More on Pink Lane Jazz Co-operative Share Initiati...
- Paul Edis Trio – Jazz Café February 14 – Valentine...
- CD Review/Concert Preview: Zara McFarlane - If You...
- Two Is an Odd Number! - Paul Edis and Graham Hardy...
- Share Invitation from Pink Lane Jazz Co-operative
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie February 13
- Jeux de Mots! Djangologie @ Bishop Auckland Town H...
- CD Review: Ian O'Beirne - Glasswork
- Murder Trial Verdict
- RIP Alice Babs
- CD Review: Let Spin - Let Spin.
- Second Ending by Evan Hunter
- Tom Harrison/Jamie Taylor Quartet @ The Bridge Hot...
- Dear Bix and other Emotive Music
- PG3 + 2 @ Salsa Café February 8
- CD Review: Tord Gustavsen Quartet - Extended Circl...
- CD Review: Chris Ingham Quartet - Hoagy.
- Alter Ego @ Ashington Jazz Club. February 5
- Elkie Brooks @ Sage Gateshead February 9
- Jamil Sheriff Trio with Josh Kemp @ The Lit & Phil...
- Natalie Williams @ Hoochie Coochie + CD Review: Na...
- CD Review: Jason Anick - Tipping Point.
- Wild Flower Sextet Launches Crowdfunding Campaign
- Ashington Jazz Club Milestones
- It Pays to Advertise Particularly if you don't hav...
- Friday Night at Hoochie (Feb 7)
- CD Review: Tim Hegarty - Tributes.
- Jazz UK - Current Issue 115
- Jazz Café Jam February 4
- CD Review: Lauren Kinhan – Circle in a Square
- CD Review: Bob Dorough - Eulalia.
- Tommy Smith: In the Beginning Age 20.
- January's most viewed posts
- Ant Law Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel. February 2
- Djangologie @ Jazz Café. February 1
- The Lindsay Hannon Plus @ Jazz Café January 31
- Dave Rae’s New Orleans Quartet @ Jazz at the Fell....
- CD Review: Arild Andersen - Mira
- ▼ February ( 69 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)