Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Saturday April 29
1pm: Dean Stockdale Trio. 2:30pm: Abbie Finn Quartet 4pm: Rick Laughlin Trio - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052. 1:00-5:00pm. Free (donations).
Dave O’Higgins with Durham Alumni Big Band - Majestic Theatre, Bondgate, Darlington DL3 7JT. Support set by Durham County Youth Big Band (7:15pm). £12.00. (+ concs).
Late night jam session - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052.10:30pm. Free.
Ruby Turner - Alnwick Playhouse. 7:30pm. £21.00. & £20.00.
Fever & Friends - Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields NE333 3NG. 7:30pm. £12.00. 0191 454234.
Bradley Johnston (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Saturday, April 29, 2017
Thirty minutes in total, Colin is at the start of Part One.
Colin, pictured with Franco Valussi at Blaydon Jazz Club last year, will be returning to the club this summer - watch this space.
Friday, April 28, 2017
Thursday, April 27, 2017
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
(Review by Lance)
A day after the Ella centenary we return to the current First Lady of Song - Diana Krall. Eleven GASbook classics - love songs, so sensual that it makes me wish I was Elvis Costello.
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Blog Charts
- All That Jazz - In Hong Kong
- CD Review: Mark Lewandowski - Waller.
- It's All Happening in Hexham
- International Jazz Day and Globe Anniversary.The G...
- Playtime Collective @ The Jazz Cafe – March 25
- CD Review: Diana Krall - Turn Up The Quiet.
- Remembering Ella
- Ella 100
- CD Review: Louis Sclavis, Dominique Pifarely and ...
- Preview: Darlington Jazz Festival 2017
- Hot Jazz and Blues at The Cumberland Arms - June 6...
- Under the Moon of Love? Ruth Lambert Quartet @ Ush...
- Patrice Williamson Celebrates the 100th Anniversar...
- Brian Molley Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle - Apri...
- Art Invite
- More Phoenix Jazzmen
- CD Review: Jazzmain - Live at the Blue Lamp
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats Crescent Club ...
- Lickety Split @ Blaydon Jazz Club - April 16
- CD Review: Matt Holman - The Tenth Muse
- Forget New Orleans, it all began in Annfield Plain...
- Preview: Indigo Jazz Voices @ The Globe: Thursday ...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 18
- RIP Allan Holdsworth.
- Allan Holdsworth
- Faye MacCalman/John Pope Duo @ Jazz Café - April 1...
- CD Review: David Rees-Williams Trio - Classically ...
- Nicola Farnon Trio @ Gala Theatre, Durham - April ...
- Easter Early Birds @ The Jazz Café – April 15
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Gosforth Jazz Club - April 13
- CD Review: Freddie Gavita - Transient
- Emma Fisk and Paul Edis @ The Witham, Barnard Cast...
- New Saltburn venue for The Jazz Lads
- Carole Clegg and Speakeasy
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Globe - April 13
- RIP Stan Robinson (1936 - 2017)
- Blaydon Jazz Club goes Lickety Split!
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe - April 12
- Tomorrow Night (Thursday April 13) @ The Globe - A...
- CD Reviews: Frank Kohl Quartet – Rising Tide. Sand...
- The Eales Report - Doings down in Darlington & Dur...
- Big Bad Wolf @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle. April 9. J...
- CD Review: Brian Molley Quartet - Colour and Movem...
- CD Review: Tomasz Stańko New York Quartet – Decemb...
- GIJF Day 3: Tomasz Stańko Quartet - Sage Gateshe...
- Edis & Wilson @ Café Monk - April 7
- CD Review: Peg Powler Band - Northern Lines
- CD Review: Brass Mask – Live
- GIJF: The (almost) Complete Works.
- Preview: Big Bad Wolf @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - ...
- GIJF Day 1: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Sage Gateshead -...
- GIJF Day 3:: Jazz Africa/Jazz Cuba @ Sage Gateshea...
- GIJF Day 2: Garibaldi Plop and The ICP Orchestra @...
- GIJF Day 1: Laura Jurd’s Dinosaur & Daniel Hersked...
- GIJF Day 3: Paul Edis (Solo piano) @ Sage Gateshea...
- GIJF Day 3:John Pope Quintet @ Sage Gateshead - Ap...
- Berklee Bound
- GIJF Day 3: Family Jazz All Stars with Zoë Gilby @...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 4.
- GIJF Day 2: Three Nations Under One Groove: NYJO, ...
- GIJF Day 2: Miles Mosley @ Sage Gateshead - April ...
- Caravan performed by Dylan & Alex Thompson, Ryan D...
- GIJF Day 1: Binker & Moses @ Sage Gateshead - Marc...
- Triptych @ The Lit & Phil. March 31
- GIJF: All About The Concourse
- GIJF Day 3 @ Sage Gateshead: Jambone with Zoe Gilb...
- Festival Fringing - April 2
- GIJF Day 3: Sulzmann/Iles Duo & Trish Clowes 'My I...
- GIJF Day 2: Double Bill: GoGo Penguin; Shobaleader...
- GIJF Day 3: Alan Broadbent & Georgia Mancio Songbo...
- GIJF Day 2 - Ronnie Scott's All Stars Present the ...
- GIJF Day 1 – Sage Gateshead: Clare Teal And Her Ho...
- Jonathan Silk’s Fragment Quartet @ The Jazz Cafe
- GIJF Day 1 - Before and After
- ▼ April ( 75 )
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)