Bebop Spoken There
Jimmy Giuffre: "Jim Hall, Monty Budwig and I will just have to extemporise. I'm always interested in just trying to create. I am not interested in trying to sell music." - (Melody Maker March 5, 1960). From Colin Aitchison's amazing collection).
Antonio Sanchez: “When I was starting as a sideman, it was always exciting when somebody new would call me to work.” – (Down Beat July 2015).
TodayThursday July 30
Vieux Carré Jazzmen - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. Free.
Maine Street Jazzmen - Potters Wheel, Sunniside, NE16 5EE.8.30pm. Free.
Tees Hot Club w. Ray Dales (alt) & Kevin Eland (tpt) - Dorman's, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesbrough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813. 9pm. Free admission.
Strictly Smokin’ Big Band - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7:00pm. 0191 2853429. Free.
Vieux Carré Jazzmen + Doo Wop Dollies – Under the Dome Festival, Spanish City, Whitley Bay. 7pm. £5. 0191 2516720.
Thursday, July 30, 2015
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Monday, July 27, 2015
Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi with the New Century Ragtime Orchestra @ Caedmon Hall, Gateshead - July 26.
(Review by Lance).
Rawicz and Landauer it wasn't, Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons it was - and then some. If you were seeking sounds, I hesitate to use the word music, that were searching for new frontiers you wouldn't find them here and, if you had, the hall wouldn't have been near sold out!
And yet, what we heard tonight was indeed music that broke the mould - in the earlier part of the last century.
Ragtime, stride and boogie woogie by the two guest pianists plus hot dance music and early big band jazz from the finest purveyors of the idiom this side of Slovakia - the New Century Ragtime Orchestra.
The band were straight in, no messing, with The Message, piano chops followed by his solo, solos all round, fours between drums and tenor, smart lively music, which we’ve come to expect from this talented band. And so it continued, music towards the boppy end of the jazz spectrum, playing to a smallish audience – where were you, you’ve all missed a treat?
Sunday, July 26, 2015
Gerry Richardson (Hammond SK - 1/vcl); Adam Sinclair (dms).
(Review by Lance/photos courtesy of Mike Tilley).
- CD Review: Durham University Big Band - overDUBB
- Vieux Carré are out and about today
- OXYD "Plugged in Nirvana" Summer UK Tour
- Schmazz presents the Jonathan Silk Big Band @ The ...
- Schmazz presents The Jonathan Silk Big Band
- Dean Stockdale @ The Vermont Hotel - July 26
- Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi with the New Cen...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Budtones - July 25
- Gerry Richardson & Adam Sinclair @ The Jazz Café -...
- Play Jazz! weekend workshop
- CD Review: Nick Finzer - The Chase
- CD Review: Mark Winkler - Jazz And Other Four Lett...
- The Lighthouse Goes Dark
- CD Review: Slowlight Quartet - Live at Manchester ...
- RIP Van Alexander
- DVD/CD Review: Jazz on a Summer's Day
- Big Band Blitz
- Preview: This Sunday at the Globe - Strictly Smoki...
- Preview: Swing Manouche - Cherry Tree Wednesday Ju...
- Bratislava Hot Serenaders @ Sage Gateshead July 21...
- CD Review: Drifter - Flow.
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Black Bull - July 19
- Summertyne Americana: The McCrary Sisters/Cedric B...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Claire Kelly Trio - Ju...
- Graeme Wilson & Paul Edis @ The Jazz Café. July 18...
- Americana Festival @ Sage Gateshead: James Hunter ...
- RIP John Taylor (1942 - 2015)
- The Early Bird Sessions @ The Lit & Phil. July 18
- Americana Festival @ Sage Gateshead: Emmylou Harri...
- Roy Ayers @ Hoochie Coochie - July 17.
- Sue Ferris Trio @ The Jazz Café. July 17
- CD Review: Miles Davis @ Newport 1955-1975 - THE B...
- Book review: Ray Celestin - The Axeman’s Jazz
- Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller at Carnegie Hall 19...
- Weather Report - Sage Gateshead
- Ravi Coltrane Quartet @ Sage Gateshead - July 15
- Change of Venue.
- CD Review: Colin Aitchison & The China Coast Jazzm...
- This Sunday in Blaydon...
- Harton Soul?
- Book now for weekend workshop 1-2 August at the Gl...
- RIP Ken Gibson
- Jambone/Jazz Attack Summer Workshop Led by Paul Ed...
- RIP Ashington Jazz Club
- Alice Grace and Pete Gilligan @ the Jazz Café - Ju...
- CD Review: Rebecca Kilgore Trio - Just Imagine.
- Getting Monk is a Habit
- The Big Band in the Sky is Getting Bigger...
- Book Review: Simon Spillett - The Long Shadow of t...
- CD review: Alex Hutton Trio - Magna Carta Suite
- Andy Hudson remembers Ken Gibson
- Pilgrim Street Set @ Hoochie Coochie. July 9
- Greg Abate w. Paul Edis Trio @ the Lit and Phil -...
- Vieux Carré International Jazzmen @ The Millstone,...
- Ken Gibson Dead?
- Jazz Café jam session coda – Francesco sings!
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café - July 7.
- Mette Rasmussen and Chris Corsano @ the Lit and Ph...
- Le Jazz Hot
- Colin Aitchison, Franco Valussi & Steve Andrews @ ...
- RIP Bob Whitlock
- Fred Rowe Retires
- The Fox Sessions
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra News
- Blaydon Jazz Club Update
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ Ashington Jazz Club - July 1
- Belinda Voshtina and Alan Law @ The Jazz Café - Ju...
- CD Review: SNJO w. Makoto Ozone - JEUNEHOMME Mozar...
- CD Review: Brianna Thomas - You Must Believe In Lo...
- Paul Edis (New York) Trio with Graham Hardy @ The...
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie - July 3
- Folk Meets Jazz @ The Globe July 2
- Belated news on the passing of Joe McMullen.
- CD Review: The Weave - Knowledge Porridge.
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen w. Colin Aitchison @ The Mills...
- RIP Eddy Louiss
- GP for GIJF 2016?
- CD Review: Better Than TV - Late
- Moonlight Saving Time @ Jazz Café – June 30
- Not the 9 o'clock News - Barking Mad Baker, Archie...
- CD Review:Joel Harrison 5 - Spirit House
- ▼ July ( 81 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.