Bebop Spoken There
Stan Kenton: "Bands with guts will play what they like; a tonal picture of the American way of life...everyday sounds put to music. In two years time no one will remember what "Home on the Range" was like." - (Down Beat November 19, 1947).
Bobby Sanabria: “Many young players today are technically brilliant but lack historical perspective.” – (Jazz Times November 2014).
Today Wednesday November 26.
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
New Orleans Jazz. Raffles and a jolly afternoon.
Ferry from South Shields quarter to and quarter past. On the hour and half hour coming back.
Sitters in welcome.
All welcome. Keyboards, free buffet, drinks tokens for performers, real ale, real music.
LEVEE RAMBLERS NEW ORLEANS JAZZ BAND - Springwell Village Hall, Fell Rd., Gateshead NE9 7RP. 0191 4162630. 9pm. £2.
New Orleans style.
The Teesside Hot Club swinging at the Bay.
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Monday, November 24, 2014
Jazz North East & Splinter @ the Bridge present Sean Noonan & The Suwalki String Quartet @ The Bridge November 23.
Sunday, November 23, 2014
BSH regulars will, I'm sure, give us their support in the Jazz Media Category (Best Blog etc.) But this is also an opportunity to draw attention to some north east talent worthy of greater recognition by the rest of the country.
Saturday, November 22, 2014
Friday, November 21, 2014
- Julie Sassoon (solo piano) + Travelers @ Jazz Café...
- I've Got Those Didn't Get to LJF Blues
- More Plaudits for Bebop Spoken Here
- Vinyl Review: Nucleus with Leon Thomas – Live 1970...
- New Hartlepool gig.
- CD Review: Ken Thomson and Slow/Fast - Settle.
- Jazz North East & Splinter @ the Bridge present Se...
- Vasilis Xenopoulos w. Paul Edis Trio & Black Bull ...
- Globe Bar Prices
- Election Time - Vote Now!
- Jazz Coop At The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz: Saturday ...
- DVD Review: Fred Hersch - My Coma Dreams
- Things Ain't What They Used to Be!
- Vasilis Xenopoulos with the Paul Edis Trio @ Opus ...
- More from Durham University Big Band
- Jazz UK to cease publication immediately.
- John Wilson Orchestra - Cole Porter in Hollywood. ...
- Benn Clatworthy Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle.
- Abdullah Ibrahim - Solo Piano Recital @ Sage Gates...
- THE 2014 BRITISH JAZZ AWARDS: THE RESULTS
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café - November 18.
- Scots recreate two classics – with strings attache...
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Fenwicks, Newcastle
- RIP Buddy Catlett.
- Pete Churchill Workshop @ Durham on Nov. 27
- Jason Isaacs @ Bonbar, Newcastle. November 16.
- CD Review: Jeremy Platt Jazz Soul Moment - Sometim...
- Jazz Latin Groove @ The Globe 15/11/14
- Ruth Lambert & Dean Stockdale @ The Jazz Café. Nov...
- Roy Willis in Hong Kong - The Truth!
- Friday Gigs to have 8pm start on Fridays from Dece...
- Big Bands Are Like Buses
- Hebrides Ensemble: Dead Elvis @ Sage Gateshead. No...
- Kate Daniels Quartet @ Lit & Phil - November 14.
- Steward banjoed at Jazz Party!
- Herbert ‘Herbie’ Sargent : 8 January 1934 – 9 Nove...
- No Coochie @ Hoochie tonight.
- Mike Durham's Classic Jazz Party News
- Fumi Okiji’s Old Time Jazz Band Northern Tour Date...
- The Quartet Grew Smaller + Improv Jam @ Jazz Café
- CD Review: Hank Marvin - Django's Castle.
- Some LJF Gigs.
- Jazz Co-op Workshop Featuring the Samuel Eagles Qu...
- Be Quick, Quigley at Sage Gateshead!
- Preview: Kate Daniels Quartet @ Lit & Phil Friday ...
- The Geordie Boys
- Coming soon to Blaydon...
- Pannonica @ The Bridge Hotel. November 9
- Am Jam @ The Globe. November 9
- No Chilli This Wednesday
- CD Review: Leo Appleyard – Pembroke Road
- CD Review: Simon Purcell – Red Circle
- Jack Bruce Tribute.
- RIP Manitas de Plata
- The Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ Ashington Jazz Club. Nov....
- Havana Club 5 @ Empty Shop, Durham. Nov. 6
- From the Village Hotel to the London Jazz Festival...
- Classic Jazz Party - Day 3
- Jazz Party - Day 2 [Afternoon] Report. Nov. 8
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. November 7
- Today [Saturday] @ The Classic Jazz Party
- Richard Pite - Boisdale Interview.
- Jazz Party - Afternoon.
- Paul Edis @ The Lit & Phil. November 7
- Today @ Classic Jazz Party
- Josh Lane @ King’s Hall Newcastle Uni. November 6
- The Shoeshop Quartet @ King’s Hall Newcastle Uni. ...
- The Jazz Repertory Company and the EFG London Jazz...
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café or Drummers Anonymous
- Don't miss Jason Isaacs - in London or in Newcastl...
- WEA Jazz Courses: We need YOU!
- Bluebut @ The Bridge. November 2
- CD Review: Clark Tracey Quintet - Meantime
- Zoe Gilby @ Hoochie Coochie November 2.
- James Harrison, Ian Simpson and Friends at The Jaz...
- CD Review: Euan Burton - Too Much Love
- RIP Acker Bilk
- Clark Tracey Drum Workshop - The Globe, Newcastle....
- Clark Tracey Quintet @ The Globe, Newcastle, Novem...
- RIP David Redfern
- Barber for Sage Gateshead
- Nigel Price Trio @ Ushaw College, October 31
- Philip Clouts Quartet - Jazz Café. October 31
- ▼ November ( 83 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.