Bebop Spoken There
“I suddenly woke up and found myself old hat. As time went on it was clear that the world was going to go its own way." - Peter Ind (Jazz Journal May 1996).
Jazz North East Crowd Funding Appeal.
Monday, December 31, 2012
Sunday, December 30, 2012
The picture’s no better this year, but concern at the wider canvas has been overtaken today by the sad news of the death of Keith Crombie, owner, proprietor, and chucker-out in chief at Newcastle’s Jazz Café. (I have personal experience of this, having once been refused entry on the whimsical grounds that I looked too old, which seemed pretty ironic coming from a man who had the appearance of Methuselah.)
Saturday, December 29, 2012
Rest In Peace.
PS: Friends, musicians and anyone associated with Keith are invited to meet up outside of the Jazz Café tomorrow (New Year's Eve) at noon for photos, video and memories.)
A tribute concert is being arranged by Peter Gilligan to take place on Sunday afternoon (2pm) January 6 at the Jazz Café.
Sunday Sun Obituary.
Facebook Photos by Kaveh Emami.
Facebook Memorial Page.
Friday, December 28, 2012
Link from Charlie.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Despite that, it was still a grand night for swinging with all four players hitting one hundred and eighty..
No session next week as the room is booked for a "Private Function".
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Monday, December 24, 2012
(Review by Russell).
Sunday, December 23, 2012
Fascinating documentary of a sadly now almost forgotten jazz legend,
Friday, December 21, 2012
Thursday, December 20, 2012
One of the great saloon songs originally done by Nat King Cole and later Curtis Stigers among others. Sinatra and Tormé should also have had a crack at it - I wonder if they did?.
A Schmazz Christmas party double bill of Mercury Prize nominees Roller Trio and local heroes Legohead guaranteed a larger than usual turn-out down at the Ouseburn’s premier music venue. The local lads - Lloyd Wright (guitar), Jon Proud (electric bass) and drummer David Francis - brought along their own following to help boost numbers and they delivered a typically energetic set. Wright’s big chord stretches, riffs and effortless solos wrapped themselves around Jon Proud’s subtle, funking bass lines underpinned by stickman David Francis’ assured performance. The set mixed tunes old (Getaway Driver - a favourite) and new. A debut CD is on the stocks. It will be available in the early part of next year. Definitely one to add to the collection.
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Monday, December 17, 2012
CD Review: MILES DAVIS – “Original Album Series – “Tutu”; “Siesta”; “Amandla”; “Dingo”; “Doo-Bop”, 5 CD set, Rhino / Warner Bros, 2012 .
Miles Davis hated repeating himself. “I have to change, it’s like a curse”, he once said. Leaving aside the albums of the ‘60s where he seemed to play ‘live’ the same tunes (e.g. ‘All Blues’ and ‘So What’) he’d recorded years earlier; on albums such as “At The Blackhawk” or “Live At Carnegie Hall”, he succeeded in doing just that. His experiments with electric instruments led to jazz-rock and fusion, genres which have pretty much been dismissed by purists over the years, but he pointed the way for such as Weather Report, the many incarnations of the Herbie Hancock band and others too numerous to mention.
(Review by Lance.)
Sunday, December 16, 2012
(Review by Ann Alex).
Saturday, December 15, 2012
Friday, December 14, 2012
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Dave Weisser's Take it to the Bridge is also taking a break from The Chillingham and won't be back until January 9.
The Vieux Carré Jazzmen won't be doing Xmas Eve and New Years Eve at the Corner House or the Crescent Cl;ub on Boxing Day or January 2.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Monday, December 10, 2012
Interval time and the bar area soon filled and friends old and new passed judgement.
It was favourable and comparisions were drawn with Georgie Fame and Mose Allison.
Back in Hall Two, Gerry kicked off with Take The T ee Train, African Sunset saw Dave "Highnote" have a blast and Paul Smith got in a parradiddle or two although Paul's piece de Resistance came towards the end with an awesome display of speed drumming.
It was a good, well-attended launch.
Sunday, December 09, 2012
Saturday, December 08, 2012
Friday, December 07, 2012
Thursday, December 06, 2012
(Review by Lance).
Colin Aitchison has kept us up to date with the Hong Kong jazz scene and in particular Ned Kelly's Last Stand - the bar in Kowloon where he has led the China Coast Jazzmen for the past 15 years.
Take It To The Bridge Jazz Workshop, The Chillingham Wednesday December 5 The Blue Jazz Quintet Becomes a Trio with Singers
Darius, Chris, Dan, Catherine and Matthew Brubeck (On Facebook.)
BLAYDON CANCELLED TONIGHT!
KATE PETERS SEPTET AT HOOCHIE COOCHIE CANCELLED.
Wednesday, December 05, 2012
He didn't always swing, but when he did it was something else! and even when he wasn't swinging it was still something else!
Pete Gilligan brought another one to my attention.
Just click on the listen live link at the top of the home page....http://programme.rthk.
Hope you will be able to listen in, or for you in Hong Kong, pop in and join us.
Tuesday, December 04, 2012
This is the YouTube clip Colin refers to.
Monday, December 03, 2012
You visit the blog, go to the gigs, listen to discs so tell us about your favourites. - who knows it might even promote interest in your favourite club/band!
(Review by Lance)
Sunday, December 02, 2012
(Review by Lance)
Saturday, December 01, 2012
- ► 2013 ( 1030 )
- Andy Hudson on Keith Crombie
- From Paul Bream's Jazz Alert
- the jazz cafe documentary - Posted by John Taylor....
- Keith Crombie Dead!
- Peter Gilligan and Friends at Jazz Café Tonight.
- There'll Be Some Changes Made
- With Our Girl (Daryl Sherman) in Tokyo
- Fontella Bass and the World Saxophone Quartet - In...
- Jazz Jam @ Hoochie
- Tomorrow night on Radio 3 - The Spirit of Django
- Graham Hardy and VCJ at Millstone.
- Jazz Attack
- Sir Richard Rodney Bennett Dies in New York...
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party 2013.
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats' Crescent Club...
- Cartoon from Carstairs.
- JOE ALBANY... A JAZZ LIFE 1980 Complete 60 min. Fe...
- Piano Jazz Xmas Tracks
- Jazz At The Lit And Phil
- Rachel O'Reilly sings 'I Keep Going Back To Joe's'...
- Roller Trio + Legohead @ The Cluny. December 18
- Frosty The Snowman Exposed
- Send me your list(s)
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole
- Jazz North East Update.
- R.I.P.Ana Grace
- A Not so Merry Christmas at The Corner House
- Liverpool's First International Jazz Festival.
- CD Review: MILES DAVIS – “Original Album Series – ...
- Lindsay Hannon Plus/Jam Session @ Splinter @ The B...
- Sector 7: The Sage: Friday December 14.
- Ian Shaw: The Sage, Friday December 14th
- That Was The Year That Was.
- CD Review: Roos Jonker ‘Mmmmm’
- Happy Hour in Hong Kong.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie Thursd...
- Gigs cancelled over holidays.
- New Brunswick Battle of The Blues 2013
- RIP Ravi Shankar
- The 3 B's @ The Sage. Tuesday Dec. 11.
- Preview - Friday night @ The Sage.
- This is What I Do - Gerry Richardson's Big Idea @ ...
- Graeme Wilson Quartet - The Music of John Coltrane...
- ASHINGTON JAZZ CLUB Final word on 2012.
- The Death of Jazz (sic)
- The Earth Moves for Daryl in Japan!
- CD Review: Bruut.
- Two Days Left for Sarah Ellen Hughes.
- New Century Update.
- Rendezvous Jazz @ The Porthole. December 7
- Jazz At Oberlin.
- Santa's Last Stand - Celebrations at Ned Kelly's.
- Take It To The Bridge Jazz Workshop, The Chilling...
- Brubeck Family Statement
- Winter Weather Blues
- RIP Dave Brubeck.
- Ned Kelly's Blues Live on Hong Kong Radio
- The B's Are Back!
- Jimmy McPartland @ The Corner House
- Pete Kelly's Blues
- Katherine Stone Quartet @ The Cherry Tree. Decembe...
- Very Cool: The Art Pepper Legacy Quartet in Italy...
- Gig/CD of year.
- Kings of Cool - now!
- CD Review: New Cool Collective - Eighteen
- More Charlie Smith/Peter Fielding and Dennis Ringr...
- Jiannis Pavlidis Quintet @ The Bridge
- Lickety Split @ The Sage. December 2
- trio VD @ The Sage December 1
- Prudhoe Community Band @ Central Station. December...
- New Cool Collective @ Hoochie Saturday December 1
- Christmas Appeal from Sarah Ellen Hughes.
- Jazz North seeks bands to be touring ambassadors f...
- Jazz in Amsterdam Part 3 (of 3). November 25
- ▼ December ( 76 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.