Bebop Spoken There
Marian McPartland: "When the Basie band was at Birdland I lived there" - (Melody Maker January 3, 1953). From Colin Aitchison's amazing collection).
Robert Glasper: “I don’t understand how people can record standards, just play them in a standard fashion then expect people to get excited.” – (Jazzwise August 2015).
Today Saturday August 29
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Monday, July 30, 2012
Don Bagley was 85.
Sunday, July 29, 2012
(Review by Lance)
Saturday, July 28, 2012
Friday, July 27, 2012
(Review by Lance).
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Catch 'em young is the motto here - Who knows there maybe a future Pizza Express Star here - either on stage or in the kitchen!
(Review by Ann Alex.)
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Splinter at the Bridge’s season-ending all day festival enticed a good number of folk, some were in it for the long haul - from noon ‘til late - and one keen jazzer made the journey from the west coast (Cumbria not California). The Lindsay Hannon Plus got things under way with a set of tunes drawn from the standard repertoire and beyond including Anais Mitchell’s Old Fashioned Hat and Billy Joel’s Where’s the Orchestra? Hannon’s sensitive interpretation of a lyric and her self-penned lyrics to Joshua Redman’s Wish held the attention. The band - Alan Law (piano), Andy Champion (bass) and Mark Robertson (drums) - went for a lazy saloon bar take on So long, Big Time as Hannon closed a good opening set.
Monday, July 23, 2012
(Review by Ann Alex).
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Saturday, July 21, 2012
The accompanying group were absolutely right on the money and the girls themselves had some instrumental moments with Marcello playing accordion, Kate, glockenspiel and melodica and Stephanie, flute.
Friday, July 20, 2012
(Review by Lance)
Thursday, July 19, 2012
O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from Heavens yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke -- banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.
-- by "William Shakespeare"
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Monday, July 16, 2012
PS: Daryl Sherman is at the Green Man, Norwich tomorrow (July 17) and at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival Friday and Saturday (July 20/21).
Sunday, July 15, 2012
(Review by Lance).
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Jazz North East.
Updated info on show.
Friday, July 13, 2012
There is a small charge of just under £3 for any donation big or small. Clark's money for care runs out in September so time is of the essence.
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Monday, July 09, 2012
Described as an unconventional salute to Ellington it is certainly that! Nevertheless, it isn't an album to dismiss out of hand irrespective of whether you're in the "Duke who?" camp or the "Was he a DJ who had a cat called Tiddles?" care home.
(Review by Lance)
If you have any questions about Jazz in Prague let me know and I'll forward them on.
Sunday, July 08, 2012
Saturday, July 07, 2012
Of course we also wish Andy Murray - a tennis player - well in the hope that we may finally see him smile.
The Golden Highway is a brilliant example of this 'multi-tasking' with splash of grand opera intermingled with latin/motown/jazz and funk plus a few more. Click on the link to learn and hear more.
Oh yes then there's a terrific lyric by Colin Sell:
Chapeaux Colin Sell! and thank you Andrea Picton for bringing this to my attention on Facebook.
Friday, July 06, 2012
Our Guest group for this evening attracted a very good audience of enthusiastic members and new faces. With the musicians warming up like athletes before the concert it was obvious that we were about to experience a superb evening.
The idea was to nip over on the Shields' Ferry to catch Rendezvous Jazz, grab a beer and return - my thirst quenched, my musical taste buds sated. However, suddenly, things did, like the best laid schemes of mice and men, gan awry.
Thursday, July 05, 2012
Wednesday, July 04, 2012
- ► 2015 ( 651 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- Leeds Update
- CD Review: Funkengruven - The Joy of Driving a B3 ...
- Ray Dales w. The Jeremy McMurray Trio @ The Cherry...
- R.I.P. Don Bagley.
- Sophie Milman - My Heart Belongs To Daddy
- Claire Kelly @ The Jazz Café - Newcastle. Saturday...
- Tubby Hayes meets Sal Nistico
- CD Review: Ellington Saxophone Encounters. Mark Ma...
- A memory from the '80s
- The Honey Bop Trio @ Hoochie Coochie
- A Ship Without a Sail by Gary Marmorstein
- Sneak peek of a school visit at the PizzaExpress j...
- CD Review ‘METROPOLIS’ Peter Cincotti
- Record Review from December 22, 1939 Jazz Informat...
- A Very Long Splinter @ The Bridge Hotel. Sunday Ju...
- Montreux Jazz Festival 2012. Triple Bill July 11.
- Wanda Jackson at the Sage Summertyne Americana Fes...
- Doctor John and the Lower 911 @ The Sage Americana...
- Lover Man by Keith Armstrong
- The Puppini Sisters @ The Americana Festival, The ...
- Jenny O - The Sage Summertyne Americana Festival.
- The Sage Outdoor Stage @ the Summertyne Americana ...
- More on the Magnolia Club
- John Hiatt & The Combo - Americana Festival, The S...
- Pete Molinari, The Sage Summertyne Americana Festi...
- BBC Under Fire in York.
- The Funkalleros @ Hoochie Coochie
- When did the Magnolia Club blossom?
- Anna Luca and her band, Library Theatre, South Shi...
- "...and you Shake(speare) it all about"
- Power Cats Organ Trio @ The Cluny. Tuesday July 17...
- GFA to Honour Maurice Summerfield
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen Going West
- CD Review: Hannabiell and Midnight Blue. With Us.
- Carrying Cole To Newcastle - Daryl Sherman @ The S...
- Alter Ego @ The Bridge Hotel. Sunday July 15.
- ACV and Zoe at Swanage Jazz Festival.
- Hannabiell and Midnight Blue @ Hoochie Coochie
- Pete Gilligan Trio @ Jazz Café
- Of Mice and Jazzmen. July 14, 2012
- The end of Jazz North East as-we-have-known-it?
- WIN TICKETS FOR - The remarkable new musical Jazz ...
- Mike Durham update on Daryl Sherman - only 3 days ...
- Clark Terry Donations
- Greg Abate/Alan Barnes w. Stu Collingwood Trio @ C...
- CD Review: Anna Estrada - Volanda.
- Help – I can’t get to the Daryl Sherman gig – she ...
- Remembering Eric. The Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole...
- International Jazz Talent To Perform South Shields...
- Two Mighty Gigs in Store
- RIP Lol Coxhill
- CD Review - “Benoit Viellefon Hot Club live at the...
- Art Pepper: Tastes from the Widow's kitchen
- The Bridges Festival 2012 Jazz Boat: West Jesmond ...
- Welcome aboard Desmond.
- "The Pope's" Birthday.
- CD Review: Joe Jackson - Duke.
- CD Review: Sleepers - Keith Jarrett.
- Manchester Jazz Festival News
- Czech These Sites Out.
- Peter Fielding Lives with Little Lady Make Believe...
- Jesus just left Chicago headed down Ouseburn way....
- Mark Williams Trio w. Zoe Gilby. Bridge Hotel, New...
- Great Website For Django Fans
- From the archives
- CD Review: Træben - Push.
- Bradley Wiggins in Yellow
- The Golden Highway - The Grand Union Orchestra
- Caption wanted.
- Djangologie @ Ashington Jazz Club. July 4
- Rendezvous with Our Man in Hong Kong in North Shie...
- Relaxin’ at Blaydon Jazz Club with James Birkett/G...
- Hoochie Coochie Jam Session
- JAZZ UNITES THE HOUSE AS YAMAHA HONOUR 2012 JAZZ S...
- Ray Chester Concert Cancelled at Customs House
- Clark Terry
- Happy Birthday to Steve Andrews.
- RIP Fritz Pauer
- New track: The Narrators - The Statement.
- Bulletin From Blaydon
- Ruth Lambert w. Stu Collingwood Trio @ The Cherry ...
- Guisborough Big Band SATNAV Concert this Friday
- Paul Edis Trio w. Roly Veitch @ Bridge Hotel.
- Paul Edis Plays Bill Evans/Roly Veitch Plays Jim H...
- CD Review: Idle Words - You Are The Song
- The Jive Aces "Bring Me Sunshine"
- ▼ July ( 88 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.