A work in progress.
Bebop Spoken There
Eddie Harris: "I haven't been given the stamp of acclaim--by whoever it is does the stamping." - (Down Beat June 15, 1966).
Today Tuesday July 29
Always a stomping good session.
Gavin's bands are always interesting and this is well worth the trip.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Suddenly she's everywhere in my life. A BBC documentary (The Jazz Baroness), a DVD of the same plus, a biography by David Kaskin - Nica's Dream - and now this! The Baroness by Pannonica Rothschild's great niece Hannah.
To an impressionable 15 year old whose parents had yet to acquire a television set the idea of a jazz musician dying in the New York apartment of a beautiful Baroness whilst watching other jazz musicians on tv seemed to me to be the ideal way to go! Of course if I'd realised at the time the tragi-drug related circumstances described in the book I may have removed the rose tinted glasses.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
(Review by Lance)
15 & 16 June 2012
13 bands from 8 countries
the Vortex, Gillett Square, Dalston N16
(Review by Russell)
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Monday, May 28, 2012
Sunday, May 27, 2012
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Friday, May 25, 2012
Photos by Kieren (first 4).
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Melody Makers 1920s - 1960s. (over a 1000 pages of jazz and dance music news).
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
The Meantime arr. Gil Goldstein
Strap-Hangin arr. Vince Mendoza
Sumo arr. Dave Stamps
Peep arr. Fred Stride
Itsbynne Reel arr. Chuck Owen
Song For Barry arr. Rich Shemaria
Slings & Arrows arr. Vince Mendoza
Never Alone arr. Fred Stride
African Skies arr. Tony Kadleck
M&B arr. Mike Holober
Madame Toulouse arr. Mark Lopeman
Sea Glass arr. Tommy Smith
First date is in LANARK this THURSDAY 7:30pm Greyfriars Kirk
Monday, May 21, 2012
Sunday, May 20, 2012
Badbone man Dennis Rollins is a busy man with a busy schedule. The trombone funk master stops-off in Gateshead later this week with his Velocity Trio. The band features Rollins with Hammond star Ross Stanley and the sensational young Portuguese drummer Pedro Segundo.
Saturday, May 19, 2012
So if someone can keep me informed, or if Paul reads this, let us know how he's doing.
Get well soon Paul - rhythm sections need you.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Thursday, May 17, 2012
In Celebration of Michael Brecker - presented by the AWARD WINNING SNJO with special guest, Randy Brecker
Jazz Album of the Year - Liane Carroll, ‘Up and Down’
Jazz Ensemble of the Year - Scottish National Jazz Orchestra
Live Jazz Award of the Year - The Spin, Oxford
Jazz Journalist of the Year - Jon Newey
Jazz Broadcaster of the Year - Jamie Cullum
Jazz Publication of the Year - Jazz UK
Jazz Education Award - Gary Crosby OBE
Services to Jazz Award - John Cumming
APPJAG Special Award - Acker Bilk
Congratulations to the winners, condolences to the runners up.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Preview - Jazz at Cafe Society Starring Gwyneth Herbert, China Moses, Max Reinhardt and Alexander Stewart Written and produced by Alex Webb
Monday 16 July – Saturday 21 July 2012
**** ‘A genuine treat’ – The Times
‘Historically fascinating’ – Jazz UK.
'Tailor made for Live Theatre or Sage Hall Two' - Lance (Bebop Spoken Here).
I happened on your website while searching re the recent death of Joe Young, (a real gentleman), who I knew from the old days and played with a couple of times. It raised many memories for me of the Tyneside trad jazz scene of the 50's and later. I was at school with Peter Gascoigne and played piano in an early band featuring him and Ronnie Robinson (about 1952). Before long Peter G left to join Peter Deuchar's Vieux Carré Jazzmen group. Since Deuchar felt that "pure" New Orleans style was derived from marching bands, piano players were a non-requirement so I then joined Eric Miller's Castle Jazz Band in about 1953 , playing piano to support Eric (a fine trumpet/cornet player), Ronnie Robinson clarinet and John Wheatley (tuba) - We played a number of gigs at the Royal Arcade and elsewhere. (The style leaned in the direction of Louis Armstrong and King Oliver). After Ronnie Robinson left to join the Vieux Carre, the Castle Jazz band had difficulty fielding a full team (the VC/Ken Colyer style having more support).
In his Independent obituary he is quoted thus: "I've been extraordinarily lucky, I've made a living out of the two things I loved."
Frank died May 8 aged 83.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Monday, May 14, 2012
Melody Makers 1930-1936.
Joe Jackson to release brand new studio album “The Duke” A tribute album to Duke Ellington Released by earMUSIC on July 23rd 2012 on CD and 12” Vinyl
Sunday, May 13, 2012
Vocally she gets the feel and conveys it well. With a solid rhythm section behind the band rocked and rolled, funked and souled. This was music aimed at the feet rather than the mind - Hoochie Coochie material perhaps?
The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra celebrates a Jazz Titan - with special guest, Randy Brecker on trumpet
Saturday, May 12, 2012
(Photo below from J.C.Hallam)
(Review by Ann Alex).
Friday, May 11, 2012
(Review by Lance).
(Review by Lance).
Thursday, May 10, 2012
(Review by Russell).
Alec Harper (ten); Matt Robinson (pno); Calum Gourley (bs); Dave Hamblett (dms).
Foreign Land. Harper has a dry sound that suited the mood of the piece. Another original - The Last Episode - moved things up a notch with some fast, hard-blowing tenor that would have done credit to Ernie Watts last night at Ronnie's. He dug in deeply justifying the applause that followed. Another epic performance came from pianist Robinson who displayed a Tyneresque approach that didn't hurt a bit.
Tuesday, May 08, 2012
(Review by Lance)
Monday, May 07, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
(Review by Russell)
Sunday, May 06, 2012
(Review by Peter S.)
My Funny Valentine.
The other clip I got on the same disc was of George Evans with the Arthur Mowat Big Band at the Corner House in the 80's too - lots of familiar faces to spot in the band too!
Moonlight in Vermont.
Saturday, May 05, 2012
Friday, May 04, 2012
- ► 2014 ( 635 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- Fireflies @ Hoochie Coochie
- Blaydon Bulletin
- Lots of music from Zoe here.
- Book review: The Baroness by Hannah Rothschild.
- Mini-Big Band at the The Customs House, South Shie...
- Dionne Warwick @ The Sage
- Alexander Stewart w. Alex Webb Trio @ The Sage.
- Match and Fuse - WORLDSERVICE PROJECT's bigger ban...
- Drummer seeks band
- Troyka @ The Central Bar, Gateshead. May 29
- The Sage is number 2 Concert Venue.
- Scarborough Jazz Festival
- Bird Lives - in Hong Kong
- The Andy Champion Ensemble @ The Bridge Hotel. May...
- Info on Green Festival wanted.
- Corner House Tonight.
- Wherever Ye Gan You're Sure to Find a Roly
- Composer of the Week
- The Groove-A-Matics @ The Magnesia Bank, North Shi...
- Diamond Jubilee Jazz Picnic @ Great Whittington
- Wylam Music Course on Great American Songbook
- What's in a Name?
- Randy Brecker w. SNJO and Edinburgh Schools Jazz O...
- Deep Joy Quartet @ Central Bar, Gateshead. Friday ...
- Jazz Bar Quartet @ Jazz Bar, Edinburgh. Thursday M...
- Dennis Rollins’ Velocity Trio @ The Sage. Thursday...
- Tommy Smith and SNJO Funding.
- Melody Maker Update
- Third Granddaughter for Bobby Carr.
- Revised Date For Cancelled Sage Session
- D Day Approaches - Daryl's UK Concert Dates
- JAZZ BRINGS SUMMER TO DURHAM
- On Safari in Pink Lane.
- Tommy Smith (on Facebook).
- Graham Hardy w. Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry Tree.
- Alan Barnes/Greg Abate Quintet @ Corner House, New...
- Matt Anderson Quartet - Second Set
- The Matt Anderson Quartet @ The Bridge First Set.
- Gig preview: Dennis Rollins’ Velocity Trio @ The S...
- Get Well Soon Paul Grainger
- Deco Heart @ The Lit and Phil. Friday May 18.
- Sweet and Hot on June 4.
- CD Review: Clara Ponty "Into The Light"
- Watson, Walker and Edis - Lunchtime gig at the Lit...
- Ray Dales' Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie. Thursday May...
- In Celebration of Michael Brecker - presented by t...
- APPJAG Parliamentary Jazz Awards 2012 - Winners
- Tyneside Dialect Songs
- Preview - Jazz at Cafe Society Starring Gwyneth He...
- More Local Jazz History.
- End of the innings for Frank Parr - wicket keeper ...
- CD Review - The Tingvall Trio: Vagen.
- Wigan Jazz Festival Talk.
- When Harry (Connick jr.) Met Roly (Veitch).
- More Melody Maker Archive Update.
- Joe Jackson to release brand new studio album “The...
- What A Day This Has Been... Singin' The Blues in M...
- Joe Young Funeral Details
- The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra celebrates a ...
- Peter Fielding and his Band - Oxford Galleries 193...
- Lyndsay Hannon Plus at Hoochie Coochie Thursday M...
- CD Review: Nicky Schrire - Freedom Flight.
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party - Sold Out!
- L’Entente Chordiale @ The Lit & Phil. 10 May
- Howard Alden Quintet @ Bois(terous)dale. May 10.
- L’Entente Chordiale @ The Lit & Phil. May 9.
- Jenny Williams Quartet/Alec Harper Quartet @ The S...
- Ernie Watts Quartet/Ronnie Scott All-Stars @ Ronni...
- TASTES - More Tales From The Widow's Kitchen by La...
- Dean Stockdale Quartet @ The Cherry Tree.
- Gabriele mit drei @ The Bridge Hotel. Sunday May 6...
- R.I.P. Mighty Joe Young
- James Taylor Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie
- Ruth Lambert Quartet. Ashington Jazz Club. Wednesd...
- My First Ever Jazz Record Request.
- Memories of George Evans.
- Bud (Powell) Goes to My Head.
- Jazz North East Newsletter.
- Jazz on BBC Radio and closer to home
- Lickety Split @ The Lit and Phil
- Fryering tomorrow night (MAY 5) not next week!
- NHAM @ Morden Tower. May 3
- Jammin' @ The Hoochie
- Watts On @ Ronnie Scott's
- Customs House Big Band. Open rehearsal @ The New C...
- Alexander Stewart joins Dionne Warwick as support ...
- The Stu Brown Sextet - Twisted Toons: the music of...
- The Gospel According to Mahalia Jackson
- More on the Jazz Baroness DVD.
- CD Review - Dagda Quartet: DAGDA ((w. Michael Buck...
- One Morning in May - today perhaps?
- ▼ May ( 91 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.