Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Ambrose Akinmusire: “ I am certainly always aware of what the masses are doing. And when I see too many people going one way, I'm going another way - even when I don't know what's over that way". DownBeat, March, 2024.

The Things They Say!

Hudson Music: Lance's "Bebop Spoken Here" is one of the heaviest and most influential jazz blogs in the UK.

Rupert Burley (Dynamic Agency): "BSH just goes from strength to strength".

'606' Club: "A toast to Lance Liddle of the terrific jazz blog 'Bebop Spoken Here'"

The Strictly Smokin' Big Band included Be Bop Spoken Here (sic) in their 5 Favourite Jazz Blogs.

Ann Braithwaite (Braithwaite & Katz Communications) You’re the BEST!

Holly Cooper, Mouthpiece Music: "Lance writes pull quotes like no one else!"

Simon Spillett: A lovely review from the dean of jazz bloggers, Lance Liddle...

Josh Weir: I love the writing on bebop spoken here... I think the work you are doing is amazing.

Postage

16287 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 16 years ago. 169 of them this year alone and, so far, 41 this month (Mar 18).

From This Moment On ...

March

Tue 19: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Michael Young, Paul Grainger, Tim Johnston.

Wed 20: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 20: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 20: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Thu 21: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Holystone, Whitley Road, North Tyneside. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 21: Castillo Neuvo Trio + Conor Emery & His ‘Bones Band @ The Grove, Ouseburn, Newcastle. 7:30pm (7:00pm doors). £10.00. (£7.00. student).
Thu 21: Remi Banklyn + Chris Corcoran Trio @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.50. Chicago blues. An International Guitar Foundation promotion.
Thu 21: Merlin Roxby @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig. Ragtime piano.
Thu 21: Tees Hot Club @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm.

Fri 22: Vasilis Xenopoulos & Paul Edis @ The Gala, Durham. 1:00pm. £8.00. SOLD OUT!
Fri 22: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 22: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 22: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 22: Nauta + Remy CB + Last Orders @ Hoochie Coochie, Newcastle. 8:30pm (7:30pm doors). Free.
Fri 22: Vasilis Xenopoulos-Paul Edis Quartet @ Traveller’s Rest, Darlington. 8:00pm. £15.00. Opus 4 Jazz Club.
Fri 22: Redwell @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sat 23: Jambone @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 6:30pm. Free (ticketed). End of term performance in the Northern Rock Foundation Hall.
Sat 23: Milne-Glendinning Band @ The Vault, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free.
Sat 23: Red Kites Jazz @ Rowlands Gill Community Centre NE39 1JB. 7:00pm. Tickets: £12.00. (gibsidecommunityfarm@gmail.com). A ‘Build a Barn’ fundraiser. BYOB, tea/coffee available.
Sat 23: New Century Ragtime Orchestra @ Gosforth Civic Theatre, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £20.00. + bf (book in person at venue - no booking fee!). Featuring pianist Martin Litton.
Sat 23: Pete Tanton’s Cuba Libre @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sun 24: Musicians Unlimited @ Park Inn, Hartlepool. 1:00pm. Free.
Sun 24: More Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. Free.
Sun 24: Luis Verde @ Queen’s Hall, Hexham. 3:00pm. Verde (alto sax); Joe Steels (guitar); John Pope (double bass); John Hirst (drums). Alto sax brilliance!
Sun 24: Elsie Franklin @ The Globe, Newcastle. 3:00pm. £10.00. Country blues. An International Guitar Foundation promotion.
Sun 24: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay Metro Station. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 24: Las Vegas Live with the Rat Pack @ The Forum, Billingham.
Sun 24: Ian Millar & Dominic Spencer @ Otterburn Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £12.00.
Sun 24: Lindsay Hannon: Tom Waits for No Man @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 7:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig. Note start time - 7:00pm.
Sun 24: Bold Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm.

Mon 25: Harmony Brass @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 25: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 6:30pm. Free.

Monday, July 08, 2013

Claudia Morris talks to Bebop Spoken Here about her new show and CD.

(Claudia's replies in bold type.)
BSH: Hi Claudia nice to hear from you again. I loved Twelve O’clock Tales it was so fresh and I still play it which is something I don’t do with too many review CDs.
I'm glad you still play it, that makes me happy!
BSH: You have a background of theatre and singing and now you are combining the two. Tell me about this new project – Secret Love. About Doris Day I guess. My very first schoolboy crush!
I think she had that effect on a lot of boys and men!
BSH: True! Tell me how this project came about.
A few years ago I discovered Doris's voice when a pianist I worked with thought there were similarities vocally between Doris and me. I started listening to her and fell in love with her wonderful voice, I have never tired of it. I then felt compelled to read her biography (which I found fascinating) and watch her movies. I knew I wanted  to tell her colourful  life story and sing her songs. Last year I was also asked by actress Tracy Ann Oberman to sing a Doris Day part in her play for BBC Radio 4. She was so thrilled by my singing of Doris - this was the catalyst I needed to start the project.
BSH: Where did you start? 
I hooked up with writer and director Phil Willmott and asked him to write a play where I would sing Doris's songs and have some actors to play the key men in her life. I wanted to portray her real life story as something in between a musical and a tribute. Also I didn't want to impersonate her, but to be myself. I sought out the wonderful Malcolm Edmonstone as musical director - I knew his work and felt confident that he could capture that wonderful era while making it my own. So you will get a taste of Doris's voice occasionally, but plenty of surprises as well! I feel very lucky to be able to work with such talented musicians and such a great director.
BSH:  I'd like to share a video link with our readers.
Here's a link.
BSH: You must have researched this very deeply. Did you contact the lady herself?
As I said, I read the wonderful biography written by Hotchner in Doris's words.

Lots of movies and 100's of her recordings! I've contacted her management to get permission that's all. I will send her my album 'Secret Love' and hope she likes it....         
BSH: I understand she is quite reclusive these days?
I think at 90 that would be understandable don't you? But actually she's very busy, she dedicated the last twenty years to caring for sick and abandoned animals. Her public life was a life time ago to her, she does shun the spotlight unless absolutely necessary as far as I know.
BSH: Songs, films, Doris was at the top in both genres. Do you place more emphasis on one or the other or do you concentrate on the, lets face it, abusive relationships she had?
The songs play a key role in the play linking to her important relationships, including the abusive ones.
BSH: Did she actually have “A Secret Love”?
You will have to ask the lady herself!
BSH: Her image was always of “The girl next door” is that how it is or do we have to wait for the show to find out?
Her image was so far from the truth, it's sad to think she represented wholesome family values but found it hard to find them in her own life.. all will be revealed in the show!
BSH: What size band will there be in the show?
Piano, double bass and drums the perfect combination and fine musicians!
BSH: You’re taking the show around the country – the nearest we get to it on Tyneside is Consett in County Durham – remind me of the date.
We are touring around the UK, 21 dates in total, starting at the Orchard Theatre, Dartford on 25th September and culminating at the Royal Spa Theatre, Leamington on 29th November - Consett Empire Theatre is on Saturday 13th November. Hope to see you there!!
BSH: Thank you Claudia. Perhaps, if I manage to get there I'll come away with a new (ex) schoolboy crush!
Ha Ha.
BSH: Further details on the show and the album can be found on Claudia Morris’ Website 
Lance.

No comments :

Blog Archive