Bebop Spoken There
Cannonball Adderley: "It's almost a rule of thumb that tenor players are long-winded types, and even when we restrict the number of choruses ahead of time the tenor players would seem to run over. No brevity." - (Downbeat November 16, 1967.
J.D. Allen: “What I learned from other musicians is that jazz recordings have a tendency to be too long”. - (Downbeat February 2013)
Today Friday December 9
Monday, January 21, 2013
Debra Milne Ensemble @ The Bridge Hotel. January 20.
- ► 2016 ( 941 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- R.I.P. Patty Andrews
- Walter Smith III @ The Sage
- Keith's Café @ Newcastle University Jan. 29.
- Zoe Gilby @ The Cask, Scarborough. Jan 23.
- Zoe and Andy off to Finland
- CD Review: The Jive Aces - King of the Swingers.
- Jazz Photographers Past and Present.
- Tomorrow's Uni gig directions.
- Ray Chester Funeral Details
- CD Review: Wave Mechanics Union: Further To Fly
- Ex-Extreme @ Splinter @ The Bridge.
- Greg Spero to Return to UK.
- Alan Barnes and John Hallam @ Boston Spa Jan. 26.
- CD Review: Fact Finding Mission Trichotomy
- CD Review: Wayne Shorter - Without a Net.
- The Jive Aces @ The Customs House, South Shields. ...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherrytree, January 21
- Farewell Ray Chester
- Stuart Davies and New Standard @ Hoochie
- Crombie's New Café
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Chillingham. January 2...
- North East heat of the New Brunswick Battle of the...
- Thursday's Millstone Menu includes ...
- Keith's Café @ University Arts dept.
- Mike Papapavlou: Interim Guitar Recital, Newcastle...
- Hoochie Coochie this Thursday
- CD Review: Pamela Hines - 3.2.1.
- A couple of Schmazz/Jazz North East gigs next week...
- Death of a Duke...
- Southport Jazz Festival set to return for a 13th y...
- R.I.P. Vince Bovill
- "Live Music Now" Recruiting Jazz Musicians in Nort...
- Gort @ Hexham Jazz Club. January 17
- Debra Milne Ensemble @ The Bridge Hotel. January 2...
- The Curse of the Banjo and Other Stories
- Stacey Kent meets Jay Livingston
- Radio York Swings
- CD Review: Billy Cobham - Warner's Original Album ...
- Crombie Video by Duncan Davis.
- Digby Fairweather with the Swing City Trio @ Trini...
- The Road to Spaghetti Junction.
- Nick Malcolm Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel. January 1...
- Jazz North Announce Northern Line Ambassadors.
- CD Review: HULLABALOO – DAVE MANINGTON’S RIFF RAFF...
- CD Review: Michael Franks - Original Album Series
- Jazz Café Co-op Update
- CD Review: The Summarily Dismissed: To Each!
- Tonight Jazz North East presents NICK MALCOLM QUAR...
- VCJ in the Saddle
- RIP Jim Godbolt
- CD Review: Pamela York - Lay Down This World: Hymn...
- Reviewers Wanted
- Real book Site
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op
- CD Review: Chris McNulty - The Song That Sings You...
- Evening Chronicle Tribute to KC
- THE BIG SCORE! --JAZZ IN THE MOVIES !
- Farewell My Lovely/ The Long Goodbye Part 2.
- Londonjazz Pays Tribute to Keith Crombie
- Keith Crombie Funeral Arrangements for Tomorrow (M...
- R.I.P. George Gruntz.
- Two Chances to Dig Digby Next Week.
- RIP Claude Nobs.
- Debra Milne Ensemble @ Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Asuka Kakitani - BLOOM.
- Locks Changed at Jazz Café
- Residential Jazz Weekend
- CD Review: So Many Reasons Gerry Richardson’s Big ...
- Vote Now!
- Sadly from Wally Nash
- Mike Carr's Blue Note Band Re-visited.
- There Will Never Be Another Keith
- 10th Anniversary Concerts The Tommy Smith Youth J...
- The Long Goodbye Part One.
- Keith Crombie feature in Sunday Sun today.
- What I Did in the New Year Holidays by Ann Alex
- Best Books.
- Improvisation course in Gateshead.
- CD Review: Dan Phillips BKK Trio + Jakob Dineson -...
- Sunday at the Jazz Café.
- Funeral arrangements finalised.
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone, South Gosfort...
- In Tonight's Chronicle.
- And still the tributes come...
- Sunday's Tribute to Keith
- Crombie's Funeral
- Brian Bennett requests the pleasure of your compan...
- Debra Milne launches new website.
- Bill Harper on Keith Crombie
- Gone With The Wind
- ▼ January ( 93 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)