
Met up with James Carr this lunchtime at The Porthole, North Shields. James is the son of legendary (North East and far beyond) trumpet player Bobby Carr.For the past eighteen years we've been updating the world about jazz in the north east of England and updating the north east of England about jazz in the world. WINNER of the Jazz Media Category in the 2018 All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards. Contact lanceliddle@gmail.com
September.
Mon 28: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Tue 29: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ Hepscott Parish Hall. 7:30pm. . £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Tue 29: Red Kites Jazz @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 30: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 30: Darlington Big Band @ The Traveller's Rest, Cockerton, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. For one week only the rehearsal night will be at the Traveller's Rest (open to the public).
Wed 30: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ The Hearth, Horsley. 7:30pm. £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Wed 30: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 30: New Ways of Moving in the Counterworlds + Juliana Day & Manon McCoy + Helen Anahita Wilson @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. A BBC Introducing-Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music event.
October
Thu 01: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 01: Rivkala @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. 1:15pm. Free.
Thu 01: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 01: Hot Club de Heaton @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 01: The Scenic Route @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Free.
Fri 02: Alison Gill + Markrokosmos @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music (NFOJAIM).
Fri 02: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 02: Gilby & Hunter + Andy Champion @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 6:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Fri 02: Abbie Finn Quartet @ Saltburn Community Hall. 7:30pm. The Abbie Finn Trio augmented by Dean Stockdale (piano).
Fri 02: Alexia Gardner Trio @ Warkworth Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £15.00.
Fri 02: Zoe Rahman Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 8:00pm. NFOJAIM. SOLD OUT!
Sat 03: New Orleans Ragtime Band @ St Augustine’s Parish Centre, Darlington. 12:30pm. £10.00. Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club. Gavin Lee & co.
Sat 03: Anemone Quartet + Jeepe Zeeburg @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Play Jazz! workshop @ The Globe, Newcastle. 1:30pm. £27.50. Tutor: Steve Glendinning. Caravan. Enrol at: learning@jazz.coop.
Sat 03: Struggle Buggy @ The Peacock, Sunderland. 6:00pm. Free. Excellent blues band.
Sat 03: Bright Street Big Band @ Washington Arts Centre. 6:30pm. £12.50 (inc. bf). Two sets: 7:30-8:15pm & 8:45-9:30pm. ‘Swing Band Dance Night’.
Sat 03: Olie Brice Quartet + Alexander Hawkins + Harper Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 7:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Red Lion, Earsdon. 8:00pm. £3.00.
Sun 04: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Heugh Battery, Hartlepool. 11:00am-12 noon & 1:00-2:00pm.
Sun 04: Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny, Newcastle. 12:45pm. £10.00.
Sun 04: Ian Bosworth Quintet @ Chapel, Middlesbrough. 1:00pm. Free. Quintet w. special guest Bill Watson (trumpet).
Sun 04: Sax Choir w. Rachel Musson @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: Rivkala + Ceitidh Mac + Thatcher & Knowles @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. A NFOJAIM event.
Sun 04: Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Juke Shed, North Shields. 3:00pm. Free. RESCHEDULED from September 27.
Sun 04: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: NUJO Jazz Jam @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm. £3.00.

Met up with James Carr this lunchtime at The Porthole, North Shields. James is the son of legendary (North East and far beyond) trumpet player Bobby Carr.
5 comments :
As I recall, it was the late tenor player, Eric Pollard who was with Bobby when he died. somewhere down near Peterlee, I think.
As I recall,this was in late 1979 or early 1980 and Bobby was working for the alto player Cecil Strain.Cecil lived in Washington and ran a 5/6 piece busking band which worked regularly at Easington club which is where they were probably making for that night.I had worked for Cecil for some time and had recently left the band.I don't know if he was travelling with Bobby or separately.I can't remember Eric in the band but I think the piano player was possibly called Donnelly
This is probably a bit late as I only came across this website today.I must have been only about 21 or 22 when I first came across Bobby at the Rex Hotel Whitley Bay. This would be middle 60's. Sunday night was jazz night upstairs in a back room somewhere. First thing to say is that he was every bit as good as all the tributes say (and better) Bobby was a world class jazzman and consumate musician.
I was star struck !!!! and the rest of the band were top class too. I remember Sid Warren (tnr), Jackie Denton (drms),Derek Dixon (bs), Jimmie Willets or Alistair Atkinson or Jack Sheldon (pno). Sometimes Arthur Mowatt on alto or vibes and Dave Murphy on bass. Jackie was so loud that when he went to London you could still hear him. I think "popeye" Billy Young took the chair after that.
Every Sunday I would be there early watching them set up and chatting with them. One night the bass player didn't turn up and Bobby came to me and asked if would be able to play bass on the guitar. Well I didn't need asking twice and after that night I was able to play with them every Sunday. I remember most of them were not keen on having a young raw guitarist messing things up but Bobby was my champion and persuaded them. He said "let him play and if he doesn't know what to do he will just shut up". And so it was we became friends and I got to play in the best band of the day with his mentorship ( well him and Jimmie Willets).
My memory is a bit hazy but I think at the time he lived with his wife the former Liz Brown in a downstairs flat in Queen Alexander Road North Shields. I have a memory that they were always short of money and my wife and I would occasionally visit and be sure to bring lots of food with us. He was the most open and generous guy and always keen to help young musicians like myself. Of course he was also a bit of a "Jack the Lad" and all those stories are true for sure but when he picked up that trumpet he became almost godlike.
I too was regular at the Wheatsheaf in New York and I remember one Thursday Bobby came in quite late in the evening and sat at the back far away from the band. (I remember Hughie and Leo from those days). He opened the case and got out the trumpet, patiently waiting while all us amateurs did our bit. When he began to play it was almost magical. It was said of Django Rheinhardt that he was incapable of playing a bad note. Well........Bobby was another one like that. I am 70 yrs old now and he remains one the most important people to have been in my life. A true legend....RIP Bobby Carr Trumpet Player
Mike, for more on Bobby Carr and other north east legends go to the RH column and Pages then click on "Memories of Jazz in the North East".
Thanks Lance. Can you find out if anyone remembers Jimmie Willets. He would dep on piano sometimes at the Rex and he taught me a lot. We did some gigs together and would practice at the Black Horse Monkseaton. His family had a business on the fish quay in North Shields
Post a Comment