Bebop Spoken There
“Most trumpet players really like attention. I mean that they like to play high, they like to play fast…and they're the best dressers, usually.” - Ambrose Akinmusire (Jazzwise April 2011).
“I don't even remember learning to read music. I could always do it.” - Henry Lowther (Jazzwise July 2011).
June 23 Ray Chester Tribute Concert.
As most of you already know, sadly, Ray passed away in January this year and as a mark of respect and celebration of his music, the band has agreed to perform one final concert with all proceeds going to St Benedict’s Hospice (Monkwearmouth). It is probably, most fitting that this “Tribute Concert” will be at the Customs House, South Shields where Ray has appeared every year since 2007. A memorable and emotional night truly awaits the band’s last captive audience. The event is being recorded and modestly priced copies can be ordered on the night. Tickets available from the Customs House – 0191 4541234 or www.customshouse.co.uk
More info from the Ray Chester website.
TODAY TUESDAY JUNE 18
Friday, November 11, 2011
Louise Gibbs and Five Pieces of Silver @ Musicon Durham Jazz Festival
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.
- ► 2013 ( 531 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- Tonight on BBC4 - 9:00pm.
- Tommy Henderson Recalls...
- Rahe - Rescue
- New Residency for the Vieux Carré Jazzmen
- CD Review - Tony Crombie and his Friends: Whole Lo...
- Happy Birthday Pete Gilligan
- Djangologie @ The Cherry Tree
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Seb Pipe's Life Experience -Tonight's Splinter @ T...
- Any Jacky Denton tapes out there?
- Change of Day at the Bell and Bucket.
- Frank Brooker @ Blaydon Jazz Club. November 24th
- Claire Kelly Quartet – Hoochie Coochie, Nov. 24
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's.
- Searching for Summertime. BBC 4.
- Tomorrow night it's Blaydon or Hoochie.
- Twisted - Annie Ross
- The Jazz Café Documentary
- R.I.P Paul Motian
- CD Review - Sergio Mendes - Warner's Original Albu...
- Enescu re-Imagined @ The Sage.
- Searching For Summertime
- Wilbur's Fate @ The Bridge Hotel. November 20th
- CD Review - Charles Mingus - Warner's Original Alb...
- Charles Gayle & Han Bennink @ The Lit and Phil. No...
- Tomorrow (Monday Nov. 21) Night at The Sage
- Fiddlers Three
- The After Hours Charles Gayle
- From Paris (France) to Paris (Kentucky) - The Hot ...
- Greg Spero - A Talent Deserving of Wider Recogniti...
- GABRIELE MIT DREI NEW BAND ON THE BLOCK – NOT TO B...
- Three Ringed Circus - Elaine Binney and the Jazz R...
- CD Review: Ben Williams - State of Art
- London Jazz Festival Vocal Jazz Summit - Spice of ...
- London Jazz Festival - Gwilym Simcock @ St. James'...
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum….
- London Jazz Festival - David Sanborn/Joey DeFrance...
- Tisha's Train Ride
- Calling all bassmen
- Preview - Lucian Ban - Enescu re-imagined
- The Real Maine Street Jazzmen @ The Porthole North...
- ACV @ The Bridge Hotel.
- Radio Times
- CD Review: Keith Stephen's Trio and Caroline Irwin...
- Farewell Michael Garrick M.B.E.
- Louise Gibbs and Five Pieces of Silver @ Musicon D...
- Convergence Quartet @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle.
- Hannah and the Narrators @ Hoochie Coochie.
- Silver Threads among the Gold - Maine Street Jazzm...
- Student Performances @ King's Hall, Newcastle Univ...
- Alexander Hawkins & Harris Eisenstadt @ King's Hal...
- If I Were A Bell-Becky Kilgore Group
- Mingus on Mingus
- John Etheridge Gig Cancelled - update re refunds.
- R.I.P. Mito Loeffler.
- Goodbye Joe Frazier
- Brass Jaw @ The Lit and Phil, Thursday Nov. 3 - ta...
- Jazz Singers in the Making at The Sage.
- CD Review; Etta James - The Dreamer.
- John Mayall in Concert - Oli Brown Band @ The Sage...
- Tynemouth to Teignmouth
- Stop Press: R.I.P. Gordon Beck.
- Triple Treat Today. Lindsay Hannon and Two Hannahs...
- Don Fairley and the Friends of Jazz - Ashington Ja...
- ACV Hit The Road Tomorrow
- Today, Sunday Nov 6 @ Whitley Bay Jazz Party
- Vibraphonia - Whitley Bay Jazz Party - Saturday
- Day 2 @ Whitley Bay - Program
- RIP Papa Bue
- Late News - Tonight at Hoochie.
- The Bud Tones at Hoochie Coochie Thursday 3rd Nove...
- Brass Jaw @ The Lit & Phil. November 3rd
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party 2011
- R.I.P. Beryl Davis
- Swing Swing Swing! The Benny Goodman Sextet Revis...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's.
- Things Ain't What They Used To Be
- A Monday Date
- ▼ November ( 78 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.