Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Mon 05: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 05: Saltburn Big Band @ Saltburn House Hotel. 7:00-9:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Friday, June 03, 2011

I Took A Trip On A Train and I wish I'd took the bus!..

There is something about a good big band that draws musicians and listeners together. In the case of the Customs House Big Band, for me, it is the superbly blended sax section, for others it's the power of the brass or the swinging rhythm section - not forgetting Ruth's vocals which were superb tonight. Add the solos and you have as near perfection as you're ever going to get in big band music.
I loved every moment but, boats and buses and trains beckoned so I reluctantly opted out of the second set. I bounced down to the ferry landing, Ruth's Embraceable You jostling with the band's Woodchoppers Ball in my head. Alan 's tenor solos, Jill's gorgeous alto sound, Michael Lamb, the high note guy - the lot - my mind was full of it. South Shield's Metro was full of officials all grouped together so - being in a group mood - I took a photo of them thinking it would add a nice touch to what had been an evening of togetherness both on and off stage and one that the Metro folk's families might appreciate.
I confess that I got that one wrong!
Their spokesman demanded I remove the photo from my camera at once!
I flipped as one would in the circumstances and, in a senior moment, couldn't remember how to delete a photo! - it happens buddy when you reach the silver years!
I got on the train and was ordered off the train. Next thing there were police on the scene. I wondered if I'd accidentally left a hand-grenade in my pocket.
The cop deleted the photo from my camera - I asked him where he was when my my house was burgled or my car stolen but he just shrugged.
What the hell - the band still sounded great and, paradoxically, their first number had been Gordon Goodwin's The Jazz Police! Gig photos.
Lance.

3 comments :

Jazz Album said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the band. I pay attention to a good drummer and piano since I'm a pianist and I like percussion. That picture looks awesome and those songs are great.

Russell said...

Now move along sir. Yes, of course you've been to a big band concert, just come this way...

Russell

Anonymous said...

so who were these officials then? blimey Lance, you do live dangerously, I'd lay low for a while if I were you, they've probably got you on CCTV!!
Liz

Blog Archive