Bebop Spoken There

Gary Bartz: ''Music is nature's gift to man. It's the only religion. We're living in a terrible era, but what a beautiful thing music is. Look how it brings us together like religion is supposed to; and with no language barriers.'' (Jazzwise September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18918 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 782 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 18.) 61.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

September.

Sun 27: Salty Dog @ The Cluny. 12:30pm (doors). Free (donations).
Sun 27: Musicians Unlimited @ West Hartlepool RFC. 1:00pm. Free.
Sun 27: Zach Sewell-Lara Hopper Quintet @ Queen’s Hall, Hexham. 3:00pm. £12.00., £10.00.
Sun 27: Sun 27: Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Juke Shed, North Shields. 3:00pm. Free. RESCHEDULED to Sunday 4 October.
Sun 27: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 27: Alex Hitchcock Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £16.00., £14.00. A Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music event.

Mon 28: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 29: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ Hepscott Parish Hall. 7:30pm. . £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Tue 29: Red Kites Jazz @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Wed 30: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 30: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 30: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ The Hearth, Horsley. 7:30pm. £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Wed 30: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 30: New Ways of Moving in the Counterworlds + Juliana Day & Manon McCoy + Helen Anahita Wilson @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. A BBC Introducing-Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music event.

October

Thu 01: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 01: Rivkala @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. 1:15pm. Free.
Thu 01: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 01: Hot Club de Heaton @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 01: The Scenic Route @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Free.

Fri 02: Alison Gill + Markrokosmos @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music (NFOJAIM).
Fri 02: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 02: Gilby & Hunter + Andy Champion @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 6:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Fri 02: Abbie Finn Quartet @ Saltburn Community Hall. 7:30pm. The Abbie Finn Trio augmented by Dean Stockdale (piano).
Fri 02: Alexia Gardner Trio @ Warkworth Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £15.00.
Fri 02: Zoe Rahman Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 8:00pm. NFOJAIM. SOLD OUT!

Sat 03: New Orleans Ragtime Band @ St Augustine’s Parish Centre, Darlington. 12:30pm. £10.00. Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club. Gavin Lee & co.
Sat 03: Anemone Quartet + Jeepe Zeeburg @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Play Jazz! workshop @ The Globe, Newcastle. 1:30pm. £27.50. Tutor: Steve Glendinning. Caravan. Enrol at: learning@jazz.coop.
Sat 03: Struggle Buggy @ The Peacock, Sunderland. 6:00pm. Free. Excellent blues band.
Sat 03: Bright Street Big Band @ Washington Arts Centre. 6:30pm. £12.50 (inc. bf). Two sets: 7:30-8:15pm & 8:45-9:30pm. ‘Swing Band Dance Night’.
Sat 03: Olie Brice Quartet + Alexander Hawkins + Harper Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 7:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Red Lion, Earsdon. 8:00pm. £3.00.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Willie Payne - a Guitarist's Guitarist .

Roly made reference to Willie Payne trading choruses with Tal Farlow back in the 1980s and seeks more information on the West Indian guitarist who so enlivened the local scene 30 years ago.
I recall many Corner House sessions where Willie left an impression on both audience and musicians yet info on him is so sparse as to be almost non existent.
His name is missing from the jazz guitar tomes and, to the best of my knowledge, recordings probably only exist in privately recorded tapes and cassettes.
If anyone can add any memories or info on Willie we'd love to share them.
Lance.

11 comments :

Roly said...

Yes, it was a real treat to have him playing on Tyneside.
I remember bassist Derek Dixon raving about how he could imply chord cycles, with total control, in his improvisations - he had a very advanced sense of harmony and his Wes styled playing was quite something. I remember his playing from the Syd Warren Quintet's Tuesday Corner House residency.
I do remember he was an Ibanez endorser - there were occasional large b/w photos of Willie advertising Ibanez guitars in Crescendo Magazine. I heard he came over from West Indies as an accompanist with pianist Winifred Atwell and settled in London then came up to Newcastle.
I have very happy memories of those times and had great admiration for his playing.
Roly

Anne Harper said...

Scott (Adair) first met Willie in Trinidad. Scott's parents lived there and he went on holiday, where he met Willie who was playing at the Hilton Hotel. This was c.1959-60.
In 1962 we were walking down Northumberland St and guess who was walking towards us - Willie carrying his guitar case!
He was working with Winnie Atwell for a while (they both came from Trinidad) but I believe it was when he sat in with the EMCEE 5 that his career took off.
He played with the Sid Warren Quintet and did loads of work at the Corner House.
His playing was awesome, he admired Wes Montgomery and the like, although he was short on reading. Willie was the most gentle guy I ever knew.
He set up home with vocalist Peggy Shaw and their life became 'the days of wine and roses' if you catch my drift! Peggy was a sweet person and adored him.
Before that he came to live with Scott and myself for a while - he had lost his driving licence and could no longer do gigs so we 'adopted' him.
He eventually got the dreaded day job at the Ministry, Longbenton, and hated it. Willie's playing became very erratic due to a drink problem and it was difficult to book him then Peggy died suddenly and Willie was on his own.
I had a business in Jesmond and one of my customers let slip that she was keeping an eye on this chap from Trinidad who was ill and not eating - yes it was Willie. She put him on a plane to go home to Trinidad and his family and not long after I heard he had died. This was 1994.
Willie was the only man I cut my nails for - he was teaching me guitar!!
Anne

Mike Carr said...

Willie and I played together in the 60s and much later on, at that time he was an outstanding Player very much in the Wes Montgomary style and he worked with me at La Dolce Vita in Newcastle and had he stayed off the booze he could have been a great player. The last time he played was on a tour with me and Kenny Clarke on drums and he didn't play so well as he had a secret Whisky problem. Maurice Summerfield I think gave him a guitar for the gig, I can't be sure if it was a free gift. He also did some European gigs in Germany and Belgium I think with my trio and also worked with me at Ronnie Scott's Club with Irene Reid the New York vocalist who was Count Basie's singer in the early '60s.
He worked in Newcastle at the large pensions department for possibly 20 years and when he left to return to his roots in the West Indies, I heard a rumour that he passed on but I can not tell you the date.
He was Winifred Atwell's guitarist probably in the '50s touring Australia and also working with her here.It was this time that I met him.
That's the best that I can tell you right now.
Mike

Mal Maddock said...

I worked with Willie very early in my career...& one of the gigs was a defining moment..... It was a trio gig Organ, Guitar (Willie) & drums (The late Ron Studholme)
It was a ballad, not sure what, but I played a solo & it was the first time I felt a true jazz connection with the piece... Afterwards Willie leant over & said " Great solo man " I felt on top of the world.. I was about 17....Someone as good as Willie thought I played good....He still is one of the best guitarist I have ever heard or played with.... the essence of what Jazz is or should be..... Sad to hear he passed away.... Mal Maddock

Dave The Rave said...

I have fond memories of hearing Wilie play with Sid Warren and other great players, like Bill Harper. Actually, when the Willie Payne Quintet played support for Slim Gaillard at the Corner House in Heaton (12 December 1982), I was doing the sound mixing for the gig and Willie graciously invited me to join them on trumpet, and we played "Games" by Nat Adderley. Earlier the quintet had played Jimmy Heath's "The Voice Of The Saxophone", and unfortunately these two are the only ones I have recordings of. The Slim gig was recorded in its entirety. Dave The Rave

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

Lance said...

What site is that?

cranhpc said...

In 1967 I played guitar (badly) with the resident band in the infamous BirdCage Club in Stowell Street. Willy Payne used to come in late on & would sometimes listen to us from the bar. I first recognised him from his appearances on Tyne-Tees TV where they would put in a local musician as a continuity filler around the news time.

I did have pretensions to playing a jazz guitar style & Willy kindly offered to take me under his wing for tuition. By then, however, I had decided that I really wanted to go to university & declined his offer. Eventually, I spent most of my working life in Academia but often wonder what might have happened, had I accepted Willy's offer of help?

Really sorry to learn of his decline, he was quite a nice guy to talk to. I had long wondered what became of him before I chanced upon this thread.

Unknown said...

I'm pleased to see that Willie Payne is so well respected and remebered.
I first watched Willie on TTT where he used to sit in the canteen with his guitar until an announcement said “willie to Studio?”
He would go to the studio and play solo jazz as long as needed. This was in the days of unedited TV.
The saddest thing I heard him say was, when he was in the resident band at the Sands Club, Whitley Bay he was thinking of swopping his jazz guitar for “one of those electric things” so he could fit into the band better. Hope he never did.
My other local hero was Charlie Smith. I took over studio guitar after Charlie [with Ken Maddison}]
Charlie told me he was a banjo player but got a gig on guitar so he pawned his banjo and tuned the guitar like his banjo. He thought afterwards, there must be more to the guitar than this and a long term love started.

Pauline Crowley said...

I met Willie in Auckland New Zealand when he was playing with Winifred Atwell. I was 17 years old and totally enamoured with Winifred’s style of music. She and her band played on contract for 6 months in a cafe restaurant off Queens Street Auckland.

I became a fan and every Friday would sit for hours listening to them. Eventually the Kiwi kid was invited backstage to meet Winifred and her band. I was star struck and totally amazed at the talent of Winifred and her guitarist/drummer Willie Payne. I was a constant Friday night listener and friend and went out with Willie for the 6 months they were in NZ. He was a gentle and lovely man. Winifred offered to fly me to London as in those days entertainers could not take their earners out of NZ. I was so tempted but at 17 knew my parents would be horrified. Willie wrote to me for sometime afterwards and I was so happy his career took off. I was a privilege to meet them all. Pauline Crowley, Zieltjes NZ

Mike Farmer said...

I heard Willie Payne just once at the Birch Hall Oldham with Mike Carr and Kenny Clarke and he made a lasting impression on me. He had the sound I love to hear on guitar.

Blog Archive