Bebop Spoken There
Allison Neale: “It’s difficult if you play mainstream in the UK, it isn’t appreciated enough. The current scene seems to focus on musician-composers.” - (Jazz Journal April 2013).
Liam Noble: “I know some people think playing standards is old-fashioned but I love it.” – (Jazz Journal January 2016).
Today Tuesday February 21
Saturday, January 16, 2016
Listen to the Epic (Hype?)
- Lindsay Hannon/ Mark Williams @ The Jazz Cafe – Ja...
- Zoe Gilby (vocals) & Andy Champion (double bass) @...
- NCRO Update
- Debut CD from Huw V. Williams - Hon (Press release...
- Matt Anderson’s Wildflower Sextet @ Ushaw College....
- CD Review: Great American Music Ensemble - It's Al...
- Mark Williams Trio @ The Globe Jazz Bar, Newcastle...
- Music was their Mistress
- Paris-Sur-Tyne Photos
- Be Bop Jazz founders the 'Club Eleven' at a 25th a...
- CD Review: Mike Westbrook & Company The Uncommon O...
- CD Review: Gerard Presencer & the Danish Radio Big...
- NMBB Marching to Hoochie Coochie
- On the player...
- CD Review: Sam Crockatt Quartet – Mells Bells
- Alice Grace Quintet @ Jazz Café - Jan. 26.
- PARIS-SUR-TYNE @ The Lit & Phil January 24 (Aftern...
- PARIS-SUR-TYNE @ The Lit and Phil January 24 (Even...
- Jazz Café Cancellation
- Between the Devil and the Deep South Blues
- Folk @ The Globe: What Interested Jazz Fans Can Ex...
- Alice in Jazz Café Land
- Opus 4's 2016 season off to a flying start
- Stuart MacCallum @ The Jazz Cafe January 22
- Bob Wilber, Pug Horton & Colin Aitchison "on the a...
- Jamie Mackay @ St Nicholas Cathedral. Newcastle. J...
- Rudimentary, Ms Evans
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Safe Sextet - January ...
- CD Review: Allison Au - Forest Groove.
- Band wanted, Jazz Caff, Newcastle Feb. 26
- Judd or Jurd? That is the Question!
- CD Review: Peter Jones - Utopia.
- New Rebecca Kilgore album to be released later thi...
- Laura Jurd’s Dinosaur + The Early Bird Band @ Sage...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - January 19.
- A New Generation of Dinosaur – Tonight at Sage Gat...
- New facility for National Jazz Archive
- Vinyl review: King Bee - Money Gone
- Book Review: 30-Second Jazz - Lead editor: Dave Ge...
- Alice Grace Quintet @ Hoochie Coochie - Jan. 17
- Help JNE celebrate their half century.
- CD Review: Laura Perlman - Precious Moments
- Listen to the Epic (Hype?)
- Havana Style Cuban Jam Session @ The Jazz Café. Ja...
- Dinosaurs and Birds point to the future
- CD Review: Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia – The...
- CD Review: Stan Sulzman/Nikki Iles - Stardust.
- APPJAG Voting begins
- Paris Sur Tyne - JNE à Cinquante
- Ronnie’s Bar – Jan. 6
- Delius, Davidson and the Drive-by Truckers: What i...
- Roller Trio + Leash @ The Bridge Hotel January 10...
- CD Review: André Fernandes - Dream Keeper
- Sax Theft
- RIP David Bowie
- CD Review: Hannes Riepler - Wild Life
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Globe Jazz Bar - January 9.
- Jazz Co-op @ the Globe: Folk and Acoustic Night; J...
- Pannonica @ The Jazz Cafe January 8
- The Jazz Ambassadors (and others) One More Time, O...
- Richard Shelton - An Englishman in love in LA is n...
- Amy - Channel 4 tonight 9pm.
- RIP Kitty Kallen
- CD Review: Echoes of Swing - Dancing
- Homage to Mark Murphy - R.I.P
- From No Place to the Globe
- Henry’s Swing Club @ The Brandling Villa. January ...
- CD Review: Deborah Shulman - My Heart's in the Win...
- RIP Paul Bley
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz has now Mo...
- RIP Johnny Rogers
- The Kid From Biddick Hall
- CD Review: Live at Foxrock Folk Club – The Parish ...
- George Wein and Andy Hudson
- Billy Cobham on Radio 6
- CD Review: Live At Foxrock Folk Club - The Parish ...
- RIP Natalie Cole.
- CD Review: The Dan Wilkins Ensemble-Jnana Vijnana
- ▼ January ( 78 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)