Bebop Spoken There
Dave Cliff: "I was doing a boring day job for an electric company [NEEB]. It was office work, boring. I hated it. That was the stimulus to get out" – (Jazz Review December 2001).
Bob Kaper: "After maybe a month on the road you might say, ok, let's go home now. But, after a week, you want to get back out again!" – (Jazz Review December 2001).
Saturday July 2
Spirit of New Orleans - St Augustine’s Parish Centre, Larchfield Tce., Darlington DL3 7TG. 12:30pm. £10.00.
Tees Valley Jazzmen - Devonport Hotel, 16-18 the Front, Middleton One Row, Co. Durham. 1:30pm. Free.
Play Jazz! workshop - Sage Gateshead. 2:00pm. £20.00. (£18.00. Jazz Co-op shareholder).
Tyne Valley Big Band - Haydon Bridge Festival, Low Hall Park, Haydon Bridge. NE47 6AE. 5:15pm.
Joel McCullough Byrne (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Belinda Voshtina/Mark Williams - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
Steve Glendinning Quartet -The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8:00pm. £5.00.
Mia Webb/Roy Willis - New Ship Inn, Sunderland Rd, Cleadon. 7:00pm.
Rendezvous Jazz - Sandpiper, Farringdon Road, Cullercoats. NE30 3ER. 0191 2535050. 8:30pm. £3.00.
Taupe, Zoë Gilby: Watching Sideways, Not Now Charlie, Mick Beck/Charlie Collins/Derek Saw - Cluny 2. 7:00pm. Free. NARC Festival (JNE promo).
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Monday, April 27, 2009
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
A harrowing, at times confusing and often very sad, 1987 autobiopic of the iconic tragedian that was Chet Baker. Amidst all the trauma and chaos, the beautiful trumpet sound and the strangely appealing voice shine through. "Blame it on my Youth" and the title song are just two of the gems. But there are many others. "Almost Blue," recorded in the very twilight of his 58 years, has a poignancy few singers achieve at their peak. I wonder why so many super-talents have such flawed lives? -----YouTube Clip. The trumpet playing and the vocals will be hinted at tonight at the Highfield Hotel, East Rainton by the ROLY VEITCH TRIO whose lives, they tell me, are totally flawless. Free Admission. Start 8.00 pm. Lance.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Monday, April 13, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Friday, April 10, 2009
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Monday, April 06, 2009
Sunday, April 05, 2009
The Building Was on Fire But The Band Played On. Tom Dibb Trio and Lauren Housley at the Highfield Hotel.
Saturday, April 04, 2009
Friday, April 03, 2009
Wednesday, April 01, 2009
- ► 2016 ( 484 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- Swing Guitars - Jim Birkett & Roly Veitch at Blayd...
- Miles Kington by Germaine Stanger
- Galaxy Class Performance by Tim Garland's Lighthou...
- March/April Deaths
- Viva Budvivar - Boppin' at the Chilli.
- Jazz Journal Lives!
- Cuba at the Cluny - Loz Speyer's Time Zone
- "Remembering Emily" - Kathy Dyson & Deirdre Cartwr...
- Jazzy Film Title Tracks by John T.
- Virtuoso Trio at the Highfield Hotel.
- Win Some - Lose Some.
- Ten Guitars (and counting)
- Two Bands - Max and Min Afternoon. John T covers t...
- Scotty Beamed Up
- The Things They Said About Don Ellis
- Stephenson's Rocket - Mike Carr's Blue Note Band.
- Tasty Chilli Jam Tonight.
- Update on Mike Carr
- Discs to Die For. New Posts.
- Roly Veitch Trio at the Highfield Hotel
- Let's Get Lost - Last Night BBC 4/Don't Get Lost -...
- More on Nigel Stanger
- The Jazz Baroness - BBC4
- Phil Mason's New Orleans All Stars @ Saville Excha...
- QUADRATA CAFE OFF MENU - ALL GIGS CANCELLED FOR TH...
- Frank Brooker & the Jeremy McMurray Quartet. Blayd...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's South Shield...
- Paul Edis Sextet & Northumberland Tennis Club. Rep...
- Blaydon Races
- The Zeke Zarchy Movie - RIP Zeke.
- Gavin Lee with Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Corner House ...
- Hotter Than That - Fiddles on Fire by 'The Doc'.
- If You Happen To Be In Hong Kong This Sunday...
- Thanks for The Memory
- Tough Task For TASQ at East Rainton.
- Tonight at the Highfield - TASQ
- Jazz 625 - Stan Getz Quartet
- Good-Time Jazz on Good Friday - Russell.
- Alan Plater's Mysterioso
- "Quiet Nights" at the Chilli.
- Barney Kessel - A Guitar Legend. New book by Mauri...
- Highfield Hotel News - TONY KOFI - no less!
- Unsung Heroes
- The Building Was on Fire But The Band Played On. T...
- Red Rodney at the Corner House 13 Dec.1983
- Jazz 625 Oscar Peterson
- Matana Roberts Quartet - Live Theatre
- RIP Bud Shank
- The Boppenpoof Song by Louis - By Miles
- Joshua Redman Radio 3
- Take It To The Bridge - A Good One!
- ▼ April ( 53 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.