Bebop Spoken There
Today Monday May 25
JAZZ IN THE AFTERNOON - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
Classic Jazz, Raffles and a jolly afternoon.
BELL & BUCKET NEW ORLEANS JAZZ BAND - Bell & Bucket, 37 Norfolk St., North Shields. 1pm. Free.
Classic New Orleans - Day One of the BB Jazz Festival!
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Monday, March 23, 2009
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Friday, March 13, 2009
The function room of a suburban public house was the meeting place for Eastern & Western musical traditions in the form of Free Spirits. Following a triumphant concert performance at the recent London Jazz Festival local jazz fans and interestingly, non - jazz fans, were in attendance for this eagerly anticipated event. The evening began with sitar and tabla establishing the framework for the first of the ragas. The slow tempo encouraged Lewis Watson to enter the proceedings on tenor and ace bassman Neil Harland was right there setting down a funklike feel which he maintained throughout the evening. A series of ragas unfolded with all four musicians reacting to the subtle shifts in emphasis from one or other of the quartet. Bhupinder Singh Chaggar, at times displaying bewildering hand speed, encouraged numerous change of tempi within any one piece. His musical compatriots were quick to respond and at times there was thrilling interplay between two, three or indeed all four musicians.
The second set began with Singh Chaggar and Harland locked in an exchange of rhythmic ideas which, at its conclusion, drew much, fully deserved, applause. A Harland original, written in memory of percussionist Bruce Arthur, brought the quartet together once again. Dharambir Singh dazzled in his improvisation on a scale - Watson took up the challenge - and a flurry of notes went to and fro. The fusion of classical Indian music and jazz worked so well, that, at times, a coherent sound emerged rendering the labelling or categorisation of the music somewhat redundant. Free Spirits - four virtuosi. Free Spirits hope to play another concert in the north east later this year. Watch this space. (Sittar info.)
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Monday, March 09, 2009
Sunday, March 08, 2009
Saturday, March 07, 2009
Friday, March 06, 2009
Bebop Taught Here - Egglescliffe School Jazz Quartet. An Intermission Riff at the Bonded Warehouse, Sunderland
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Monday, March 02, 2009
Sunday, March 01, 2009
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- Haftor Medboe Group - Cluny.
- Zoe Gilby Band at The Side Café
- The Complete Discs To Die For (to date)
- No Time For Jive
- Jazz 625 - Dizzy Gillespie Quintet
- Isle of Wight Jazz Festival Cancelled.
- A Funny Valentine - The Story of Chet Baker told b...
- Sheila Jordan Radio 3
- Clare Tea-Towel @ Customs House South Shields
- Coronation Street Jumps.
- Budvivar @ The Chillingham
- Abie, Abie, Abie, My Boy - The Song is Jew
- Customs House Big Band and Ruth Lambert
- Monster Big Band From Up North and I Mean North!
- Mark Williams Trio at the Side Café
- Charlie Galbraith
- Pete Volpe
- Northern Voices
- Joshua Redman Trio - Guy Barker Jazz Orchestra.
- Meanwhile, Somewhere East of Suez... Colin A.
- Sheila Jordan - Gateshead Jazz Festival
- The Voice in Jazz. Report from Jim McD.
- Saturday Afternoon at the Gateshead Jazz Festival
- The Music of Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn - No...
- Nigel Stanger Update by Germaine
- Festival Frontline
- Defining Moments - Earl Bostic
- Welcome Back Darren. Chilli..
- Cormac Loane - Whatever Became of?
- Ruth Lambert & Friends - an Intimate Soirée at the...
- Remembering Nigel Stanger
- Q: How do you know when a bass solo has ended? A: ...
- Four Piece Sweet & Swing City Trio - Saville Excha...
- Free Spirits, Corner House Hotel, Thursday 12 Marc...
- Late Night Jazz At The Hilton
- "Thoughts and Recollections" - The Claude Werner Q...
- Alan Glen - A Tough Act To Follow But Not Impossib...
- Highfield Hotel News
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen at Cullercoats Crescent Club -...
- Benny rides again in Hong Kong - from Colin Aitchi...
- Malcolm Saul Info Wanted.
- Steve Waterman Quartet - Side Café
- Vieux Carré Go On-Line
- Steve Waterman, Issie Barratt & the VOTNJO. Sunder...
- BBC Big Band - Sunderland Campus
- Bebop Taught Here - Egglescliffe School Jazz Quart...
- Splinter - Corner House, Heaton.
- Ruth Lambert & Friends at Ashington Jazz Club. Rep...
- Take It To The Bridge. No SNAFU tonight.
- The Village Vanguard
- Jimmy Witherspoon, Don Weller - Going to Kansas Ci...
- Bheki Mseleku
- Roly Veitch Trio - Side Café
- An Ian Carr Memory From Jack Goodwin
- Julian Siegel w. Paul Edis Trio. Highfield Hotel, ...
- ▼ March ( 56 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.