Bebop Spoken There

Gary Bartz: ''Music is nature's gift to man. It's the only religion. We're living in a terrible era, but what a beautiful thing music is. Look how it brings us together like religion is supposed to; and with no language barriers.'' (Jazzwise September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18918 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 782 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 18.) 61.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

September.

Mon 28: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 29: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ Hepscott Parish Hall. 7:30pm. . £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Tue 29: Red Kites Jazz @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Wed 30: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 30: Darlington Big Band @ The Traveller's Rest, Cockerton, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. For one week only the rehearsal night will be at the Traveller's Rest (open to the public).
Wed 30: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ The Hearth, Horsley. 7:30pm. £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Wed 30: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 30: New Ways of Moving in the Counterworlds + Juliana Day & Manon McCoy + Helen Anahita Wilson @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. A BBC Introducing-Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music event.

October

Thu 01: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 01: Rivkala @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. 1:15pm. Free.
Thu 01: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 01: Hot Club de Heaton @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 01: The Scenic Route @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Free.

Fri 02: Alison Gill + Markrokosmos @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music (NFOJAIM).
Fri 02: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 02: Gilby & Hunter + Andy Champion @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 6:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Fri 02: Abbie Finn Quartet @ Saltburn Community Hall. 7:30pm. The Abbie Finn Trio augmented by Dean Stockdale (piano).
Fri 02: Alexia Gardner Trio @ Warkworth Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £15.00.
Fri 02: Zoe Rahman Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 8:00pm. NFOJAIM. SOLD OUT!

Sat 03: New Orleans Ragtime Band @ St Augustine’s Parish Centre, Darlington. 12:30pm. £10.00. Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club. Gavin Lee & co.
Sat 03: Anemone Quartet + Jeepe Zeeburg @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Play Jazz! workshop @ The Globe, Newcastle. 1:30pm. £27.50. Tutor: Steve Glendinning. Caravan. Enrol at: learning@jazz.coop.
Sat 03: Struggle Buggy @ The Peacock, Sunderland. 6:00pm. Free. Excellent blues band.
Sat 03: Bright Street Big Band @ Washington Arts Centre. 6:30pm. £12.50 (inc. bf). Two sets: 7:30-8:15pm & 8:45-9:30pm. ‘Swing Band Dance Night’.
Sat 03: Olie Brice Quartet + Alexander Hawkins + Harper Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 7:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Red Lion, Earsdon. 8:00pm. £3.00.

Sun 04: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Heugh Battery, Hartlepool. 11:00am-12 noon & 1:00-2:00pm.
Sun 04: Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny, Newcastle. 12:45pm. £10.00.
Sun 04: Ian Bosworth Quintet @ Chapel, Middlesbrough. 1:00pm. Free. Quintet w. special guest Bill Watson (trumpet).
Sun 04: Sax Choir w. Rachel Musson @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: Rivkala + Ceitidh Mac + Thatcher & Knowles @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. A NFOJAIM event.
Sun 04: Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Juke Shed, North Shields. 3:00pm. Free. RESCHEDULED from September 27.
Sun 04: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: NUJO Jazz Jam @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm. £3.00.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Red Rodney at the Corner House 1983

Listening to a CD by the Red Rodney Quintet made back in the 1950s brought to mind the evening when the trumpet player appeared at the Corner House in Heaton. This was in December 1983 and Red gave a scintillating performance with the Willie Payne Band (Mike Gilby (tpt), Syd Warren (fl/ten), Bill Harper (pno), Derek Dixon (bs), Willie Payne (gtr) and somebody is going to have to remind me of the drummers name!)
It was one of those 'nights to remember' even if I have forgotten the drummer's name and it has to be said that Mike Gilby held his own with the American as did the rest of Willie's band.
I'd already had a couple of photos of the gig in album but I have managed to hunt a few more out so I've herded them all together in a Red Rodney album which can be viewed by clicking here. And if you can tell me the name of the drummer please do.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

I used to go to see Syd's quintet at their weekly C/Hse sessions - he was a great tenor player.
I think the drummer was Dennis and not sure, but surname might have been Stephenson? He moved away from the area. He usually played drums for them, sometimes it was Scott Adair.
Roly

Anonymous said...

Hi Lance

Like Roly I too was a regular at Syd Warren's Corner House gig.I was there at the Red Rodney gig.I can't for the life of me think who the drummer was on the night.The mystery man in the photoraph looks a bit like Ronnie Pearson.Any thoughts ?

Russell

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's Dennis. I recognise him from the photo. Just not sure of his surname - I think it is Stephenson. I remember often chatting to him in the break. He was a very nice person. Then he moved away (I think to Liverpool area). I think Willie Payne was a civil servant at Longbenton. A great Wes type player who I think first came over to UK as a pro with Winifred Atwell. I heard he had moved back to W Indies some years back and sadly, more recently, that he had passed away.
Roly

Anonymous said...

Hi Lance

Regarding the mystery drummer...I've consulted a walking jazz encyclopedia on the matter,so if this name is right I can't claim any credit whatsoever-is it Dennis Healey ?

Russell

Anonymous said...

I think you've nailed him Russell.
Thank you (and Mr/Ms Jazz Britannica.)

Anonymous said...

Yes that's it - Dennis Healey.
Very good drummer.
Happy memories of that quintet at C/House. Blues March, Donna Lee, Filthy McNasty, Are you real, Come Rain or Shine et al. I think some Mike Gilby arrangements? Plus a unique reharmonisation of Basin Street Blues by Billy Harper with his flatted 10th parallel chords.
And a great night when Willie Payne and Tal Farlow reached the heights.
Roly

Lance said...

I recall they had an arrangement of "Meet the Flintstones".

Anonymous said...

Just caught blog re this gig. Yes it was my old mate Dennis Healey on drums and of course the present O H on piano!

I worked with Den at the Dolce Vita in the 60's and believe that I am the only member of the band still around. Dennis, Derek Dixon, Art Mowat and Ken Morrell are sadly no longer with us---not sure about Bob Stephenson as he moved to Scotland. Den was a great timekeeper, so important for Shearing arrangements but he was really a big band drummer, his idol was Buddy Rich. We had great nights there with a host of great American musicians who came in for a blow after the concerts at the City Hall. I have so many pics of those days including one of Basie's drummer Sonny Payne playing drums behind me singing 'Moanin'. He was as High as the proverbial and played right through all the stops!!
Ah, Memories!!

Cheers Anne De Vere( not a nom de plume!)

Anonymous said...

Anne - we'd love to see that photo - please.

Blog Archive