Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18982 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 846 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Oct. 8.) 25.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 4:45pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 7:30pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

Thu 15: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 15: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 15: Leah Kirk: A Strange Affair @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations). Leah Kirk (vocals); Alan Law (keyboards); Paul Grainger (double bass).
Thu 15: Jeremy McMurray’s Pocket Jazz Orchestra @ Arc, Stockton. 8:00pm. PJO w. guest Graham Hardy (trumpet).

Fri 16: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 16: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 16: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 16: Ancient Infinity Orchestra @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm.
Fri 16: Lindsay Hannon: Tom Waits for No Man @ Sunderland Minster. 7:30pm. £13.01. adv.; £15.00. on the door. Old Black Cat Jazz Club.
Fri 16: Milne Glendinning Band @ Repas 7 by Night, West St., Berwick. 8:00pm. Free.

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Worst Gig Ever by Graeme Hare.

I lifted this from Facebook as I think it is a situation many musicians have been faced with albeit not always as bad as this.
Lance.
-----
"I always knew it was gonna be bad...New Year's Day gig. 4.00 start at a pub in Burnopfield!When I arrived, a massive fight was taking place between staff and punters. On two seperate occasions the performance had to be stopped as groups of mortal drunk blokes came crashing into the band! (I would have called it off at this point). Another massive fight then breaks out and the police arrive! Yet another fight this time between punters and police!
Finally, as I'm packing my gear up to get the hell out of there, a woman slips over next to me on the road and splits her head open!"
-----
Happy New Year!

3 comments :

Roly said...

Hmmmm. My worst ever was when I was booked with a low volume jazz trio to a job where when you walked into the room you observed it was party time, kazoos blowing, screaming, high jinks, etc. What they really wanted and expected was a very loud disco and there we were with bass, gtr and drums. Into the first tune and you could see the jaws drop. Horrible - we survived the evening on an ad-lib selection of R&B tunes (Walkin the dog) and barely remembered pop songs (Buddy Holly etc). That's why if I ever do get an enquiry I probably sound very negative and keep repeating 'Are you sure its jazz you want". Net result - fewer jobs but I'd rather stay at home than suffer that again.
Roly

Lance said...

I recall an evening at St Dominic's in Byker when this attractive young girl sashayed up to the stage - I thought my luck was in!
Wrong!
"Aa ye's ganna be on aal neet?"
When I confirmed that we were indeed the sole entertainment she turned, despairingly, to her friend and said, "Tha ganna be on aal neet."
Her friend's face was a a picture of horror - "We'll gan ower to the Tanners Arms and listen to the Jukebox!"
As I said, we've all (aal) been there!

stu weetman said...

I think my worst ever was when I got booked for a New Year at a local hotel (I'm a Geordie ex-pat down south now). The Hotel decided to charge a £25 cover (with no food or anything else thrown in). We played the whole night to absolutely nobody! at least we got paid "up front"!

Blog Archive