This delightful soirée was a somewhat intimate gathering of discerning aficionados who nevertheless enjoyed Ruth, Paul and Mick's selections from the gasbook. Ruth, despite singing to a less than crowded room, was in good voice - particularly on "Trouble is a Man" - a fine Alec Wilder composition that I first heard sung by Carol Kidd many years ago. Sarah Vaughan also did something with it. Mention of Alec Wilder brings another tune to mind that I would like to hear Ruth put her stamp of authority on - "I'll Be Around."For the past eighteen years we've been updating the world about jazz in the north east of England and updating the north east of England about jazz in the world. WINNER of the Jazz Media Category in the 2018 All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards. Contact lanceliddle@gmail.com
Bebop Spoken There
The Things They Say!
Postage
Reviewers wanted
From This Moment On
October.
Sun 04: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Heugh Battery, Hartlepool. 11:00am-12 noon & 1:00-2:00pm.
Sun 04: Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny, Newcastle. 12:45pm. £10.00.
Sun 04: Ian Bosworth Quintet @ Chapel, Middlesbrough. 1:00pm. Free. Quintet w. special guest Bill Watson (trumpet).
Sun 04: Sax Choir w. Rachel Musson @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: Rivkala + Ceitidh Mac + Thatcher & Knowles @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. A NFOJAIM event.
Sun 04: Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Juke Shed, North Shields. 3:00pm. Free. RESCHEDULED from September 27.
Sun 04: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: NUJO Jazz Jam @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm. £3.00.
Mon 05: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 05: Saltburn Big Band @ Saltburn House Hotel. 7:00-9:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.
Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.
Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.
Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Ruth Lambert Trio - Egypt Cottage, Newcastle
This delightful soirée was a somewhat intimate gathering of discerning aficionados who nevertheless enjoyed Ruth, Paul and Mick's selections from the gasbook. Ruth, despite singing to a less than crowded room, was in good voice - particularly on "Trouble is a Man" - a fine Alec Wilder composition that I first heard sung by Carol Kidd many years ago. Sarah Vaughan also did something with it. Mention of Alec Wilder brings another tune to mind that I would like to hear Ruth put her stamp of authority on - "I'll Be Around."Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(
312
)
-
▼
October
(
50
)
- Autumn in Old York - by Liz
- Pete Churchill Trio - King's Hall, Newcastle Uni.
- Cross at Blackwell
- Ruth Lambert Trio - Egypt Cottage, Newcastle
- Graeme Wilson and Paul Edis Trio at the Side Café
- Bollywood to Barbados via Basin Street - The Grand...
- STT + GB + BH - ST + DN = PDG. The Sage Gateshead.
- NEWS FLASH! Stan Tracey ill.
- Bean and the Boys at Blaydon - The Swing Quintet.
- Suddenly It Jumped!
- Pat Thomas - Piano Masterclass at the Cluny. Repor...
- Dave McKenna R.I.P
- Mia Webb at Cullercoats Tomorrow (Wed. 22 October.)
- Alan Glen Trio at the Side Café
- Anita O'Day The Life of a Jazz Singer
- Marsden Jazz Festival by Our Man John Taylor
- The New Squadronaires. Customs House South Shields
- William Claxton Lives!
- Sagacity
- Neal Hefti, Composer, Is Dead at 85 - Obituary (Ob...
- Jazz At The Chilharmonic "The Closer".
- Jazz At The Chilharmonic - "The Opener"
- William Claxton R.I.P
- Nick Pride and The Pimptones - Side Café
- On The Town
- Music to Savage the Charmed Breast. Polar Bear/Wil...
- Moonlight in Vermont
- Sunday Parking by Liz
- Bebop Spoken Here
- Apology!
- Pearls of Wisdom from the Driver of the Year (Not)
- Roll Over Socrates; Tell Plato The News. Vasilis X...
- Chilling Out
- Get Your Kicks On The John Reid Road
- Arne Domnerus R.I.P
- I Do Like to Be Beside The Seaside by John Taylor
- Quote: Red Norvo
- Be Aware of Greeks Blowing Riffs
- Pat Crumly R.I.P.
- Another Gem From The Archives of Tradderie
- Tom Dibb Trio and Lauren Housley at Side Café
- Long Ago But not Far Away
- And All That Alnwick Jazz
- John Harle on Radio 3 - Russell Corbett
- Refurbishment at Corner House - Brian Bennett
- The French Connection
- Beatrice changes by Bill M
- Take It To The Bridge at the Chillingham
- "Fraud" at The Cluny by Roly Veitch
- Gig Updates
-
▼
October
(
50
)
4 comments :
Hi Lance
Another great gig by Ruth and the boys eh? No surprise there.I wish I could have been there.
The upstairs room lends itself well to those wishing to hear a top class vocalist in an intimate setting.I agree that it would be interesting to hear Ruth tackle I'll Be Around.Have I heard Tony Bennett do a rather good version of the tune? Come to think of it the man does good versions of anything!
Russell
There is a distinct shortage of those wishing to hear a top class vocalist in an intimate setting - unfortunately.
Yes Russell, Tony Bennett did do a good version of "I'll Be Around". I also think that Doris Day did one too. Lovely middle 8, as is common with all the good songs of the era. Talking of good vocalists I always appreciate it when they sing the verse, it is the natural lead into the song so therefore essential. Ella always did it.
Doris Day's version of "I'll Be Around" was one of the first records (10" 78rpm)I bought. It was the flipside of "Lullaby of Broadway". Then I heard Sinatra doing it on the "Wee Small Hours" album; talk about poignant! It personified unrequited love. Instrumentally, the late alto player Frank Morgan laid down the benchmark.
Post a Comment