Bebop Spoken There
Today Saturday January 31
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Friday, August 26, 2011
12 noon Rock 'n' Roll Revue (Dir.Joseph Kohn.1956. 40 mins). Featuring Ellington, Nat Cole and others.
2:00 pm Rhythm and Blues Revue (Dir. Joseph Kohn & Leonard Reed. 1955. 71 mins). Featuring Lionel Hampton, Sarah Vaughan, Count Basie, Big Joe Turner, Nat Cole and others. Admission free all day.
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Humph's Bad Penny Blues makes the cut as does Getz' Girl From Ipanema and, of course, Take Five.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
The latest batch comprises:
John Coltrane - Giant Steps; Coltrane Jazz; My Favourite Things; Coltrane Plays The Blues; Coltrane's Sound.
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come; Change of the Century; This is Our Music; Free Jazz; Ornette!
Herbie Mann - At The Village Gate; Do The Bossa Nova With Herbie Mann; Nirvana (w. Bill Evans' Trio); Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty; Hold on, I'm Comin'.
Al Jarreau - We Got By; Glow; All Fly Home; This Time; Breakin' Away.
Antonio Carlos Jobim - The Wonderful World of ACJ; Love, Strings and Jobim; A Certain Mr. Jobim; Urubu; Terra Brasilis.
What can I say? The equivalent of 25 classic LPs that, give or take a couple, should be in every collection. Personally I was delighted to get my hands on Coltrane Plays the Blues. It's long been on my wish list and here it is.
Amazing that all these years later Ornette Coleman sounds almost mainstream - almost!
Al Jarreau, Jobim, Herbie Mann - unbeatable at their craft.
I've left the best till last - you can pick them up on Amazon for £6 - £12 each.
Maybe even cheaper elsewhere!
Monday, August 22, 2011
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Friday, August 19, 2011
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Monday, August 15, 2011
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Saturday, August 13, 2011
Friday, August 12, 2011
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Monday, August 08, 2011
Sunday, August 07, 2011
Saturday, August 06, 2011
Friday, August 05, 2011
Thursday, August 04, 2011
Wednesday, August 03, 2011
- 12:00 - 12:45 Noel Dennis Quartet featuring Chris Hibbard (tmb).
- 13:00 - 13:45 Saxophonics.
- 14:00 - 14:45 Milestones – The Next Step.
- 15:00 - 16:30 Singers’ Day (Gilby, Lambert, Hannon, Kelly) Part One.
- 16:45 - 17:30 Singers Day Part Two (as above).
- 17:45 - 18:30 Spelk.
- 18:45 - 19:30 Mark William Trio.
- 19:45 - 20:30 Legohead.
- 20:45 - 21:30 Funk Regulators.
- I heard it on the grapevine the unconfirmed report that the Claude Werner Quartet has pulled out of the 16:45 spot hence the Part Two of Singers' Day replacement. Presented in conjunction with Jazz Action.
- ...and there won't be a Shadow in sight. Lance.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011
Monday, August 01, 2011
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- R.I.P. Margaret Falcus - a great voice.
- CD Review: Viktoria Tolstoy - Letters to Herbie.
- Jazz in the Afternoon at the Crescent Club, Culler...
- New Kids on the Block at Jazz Café
- Another One Bites The Dust
- Starter For Ten by David Nicholls
- Bank Holiday Blues Bonanza at Star and Shadow Cine...
- Walkin' The Dog.
- Steve Fishwick Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's.
- Guardian Music 6 Hour Spotify Jazz Playlist
- Tonight at the Hoochie Coochie
- Warners' Original Album Series.
- Mo Scott w. Stuart Collingwood Trio @ The Cherry T...
- THANK YOU, RUTH, I WON YOUR CD AT THE JAZZATHON!
- Tonight @ The Cherry Tree Resturant, 9 Osborne Rd....
- Jumpin' Jazzathon!
- Jazzathon 2011 - Lit and Phil East African Appeal....
- CD Review: The Moon, The Stars and You - Nils Land...
- Bill Croft Tracked Down!
- Maine Street Jazzmen and Chips @ Rosie's!
- Wilbur's Fate @ The Head of Steam, Newcastle. Augu...
- Carmen McRae Guess Who I Saw Today
- FAREWELL TO A LEGEND by Eddie Sammons
- The Guardian - Eric Delaney Obituary.
- Wilbur's Fate - a New Project.
- Jazz Café Jam Session
- You Ain't Nuttin' but a Horndog!
- CD Review: Jacqui Dankworth "It Happens Quietly" -...
- Hoochie Coochie hits the ground running with Zoe G...
- R.I.P. Richard Turner.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosies
- Vive la difference! (Holiday Jazz)
- Jazz Action @ The Stockton Weekender. August 7. Pa...
- Revolver - SoundCloud - Jazz! by Keith Armstrong
- Jazz Action @ The Stockton Weekender, August 7 - ...
- CD Review: Loud City - Vasilis Xenopoulos & The Xt...
- Jazz Action @ The Stockton Weekender. August 7th -...
- Ruth Lambert w. Stuart Collingwood Trio @ The Cher...
- Elaine Binney and the Jazz Rascals at Blyth Beach ...
- Jazz Café Moments.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Ashington Jazz Club August ...
- On the Road to Ruth.
- Scarborough lose Loussier - Gain Rees-Williams.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's.
- CD Review: Shizaru - The Naked Truth
- Hot and Cool with Ian Shaw and Clare Teal in Harro...
- Happy Birthday Tony - 85 today!
- The Stars Really Will Fall on Stockton This Sunday...
- Sarah Ellen Hughes Big Band
- CD Review: Good Days at Schloss Elmau - Gwilym Sim...
- Tonight's Shields Gazette
- Mendelssohn must do ok on royalties!
- Identity Parade!
- Tonight @ The Cherry Tree.
- ▼ August ( 56 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.