Bebop Spoken There
Sonny Rollins: "I'm fortunate and happy to say that Zoot Sims was an individual that I knew personally in my life" – (Down Beat July 1999).
Jon Hendricks: "Annie [Ross] was hip to vocalese before anybody that we knew" - (Down Beat September 2009).Archives.
Please bear with me until it's sorted.
Today Sunday July 31
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Monday, November 28, 2011
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Friday, November 25, 2011
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Monday, November 21, 2011
Thanks to "Lady" Liz of York for spotting this one.
Blues and Roots - the churchy Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting with Booker Ervin and John Handy playing out of their skulls. My Jelly Roll Soul full of affectionate humour and respect for Jelly Roll Morton. Horace Parlan's piano, Jackie McLean, Jimmy Knepper...
Pithecanthropus Erectus - More McLean plus J.R.Montrose on tenor. A Foggy Day - complete with foghorns, police whistles, sirens, taxicab horns and, more importantly an atmospheric Jackie McLean solo.
Tonight at Noon - has some melodic Jimmy Knepper, as well as fiery Shafi Hadi and is a worthy member of this quintology of albums.Knepper, incidentally, was a tower of strength throughout as was drummer Danny Richmond and the leader himself. whose bass playing is still a yardstick today.
The 5 cd set - Charles Mingus Original Album Series - is available from Nov 28.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Saturday, November 19, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Photos. (More to follow from Anthony?)
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Monday, November 14, 2011
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
It's an enjoyable CD - Keith Stephen can slug it out with most of the better known gypsy guitarists aided and abetted by Roly's chordal support and Bruce's sympathetic bass-lines. Roly also kicks in with a couple of vocals (I Saw Stars and Sweet Sue) as well as his own pieces - Attune and Calypso Jim. Caroline, slots in nicely with idiomatic vocals culminating in Running Wild - You Like it Hot? You got it!
A special mention of Robbins' Nest - great tune - should be in every band's repertoire - well maybe not every band!
Audio samples. and info on purchase.
Friday, November 11, 2011
- ► 2016 ( 559 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- Tonight on BBC4 - 9:00pm.
- Tommy Henderson Recalls...
- Rahe - Rescue
- New Residency for the Vieux Carré Jazzmen
- CD Review - Tony Crombie and his Friends: Whole Lo...
- Happy Birthday Pete Gilligan
- Djangologie @ The Cherry Tree
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree.
- Seb Pipe's Life Experience -Tonight's Splinter @ T...
- Any Jacky Denton tapes out there?
- Change of Day at the Bell and Bucket.
- Frank Brooker @ Blaydon Jazz Club. November 24th
- Claire Kelly Quartet – Hoochie Coochie, Nov. 24
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's.
- Searching for Summertime. BBC 4.
- Tomorrow night it's Blaydon or Hoochie.
- Twisted - Annie Ross
- The Jazz Café Documentary
- R.I.P Paul Motian
- CD Review - Sergio Mendes - Warner's Original Albu...
- Enescu re-Imagined @ The Sage.
- Searching For Summertime
- Wilbur's Fate @ The Bridge Hotel. November 20th
- CD Review - Charles Mingus - Warner's Original Alb...
- Charles Gayle & Han Bennink @ The Lit and Phil. No...
- Tomorrow (Monday Nov. 21) Night at The Sage
- Fiddlers Three
- The After Hours Charles Gayle
- From Paris (France) to Paris (Kentucky) - The Hot ...
- Greg Spero - A Talent Deserving of Wider Recogniti...
- GABRIELE MIT DREI NEW BAND ON THE BLOCK – NOT TO B...
- Three Ringed Circus - Elaine Binney and the Jazz R...
- CD Review: Ben Williams - State of Art
- London Jazz Festival Vocal Jazz Summit - Spice of ...
- London Jazz Festival - Gwilym Simcock @ St. James'...
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum….
- London Jazz Festival - David Sanborn/Joey DeFrance...
- Tisha's Train Ride
- Calling all bassmen
- Preview - Lucian Ban - Enescu re-imagined
- The Real Maine Street Jazzmen @ The Porthole North...
- ACV @ The Bridge Hotel.
- Radio Times
- CD Review: Keith Stephen's Trio and Caroline Irwin...
- Farewell Michael Garrick M.B.E.
- Louise Gibbs and Five Pieces of Silver @ Musicon D...
- Convergence Quartet @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle.
- Hannah and the Narrators @ Hoochie Coochie.
- Silver Threads among the Gold - Maine Street Jazzm...
- Student Performances @ King's Hall, Newcastle Univ...
- Alexander Hawkins & Harris Eisenstadt @ King's Hal...
- If I Were A Bell-Becky Kilgore Group
- Mingus on Mingus
- John Etheridge Gig Cancelled - update re refunds.
- R.I.P. Mito Loeffler.
- Goodbye Joe Frazier
- Brass Jaw @ The Lit and Phil, Thursday Nov. 3 - ta...
- Jazz Singers in the Making at The Sage.
- CD Review; Etta James - The Dreamer.
- John Mayall in Concert - Oli Brown Band @ The Sage...
- Tynemouth to Teignmouth
- Stop Press: R.I.P. Gordon Beck.
- Triple Treat Today. Lindsay Hannon and Two Hannahs...
- Don Fairley and the Friends of Jazz - Ashington Ja...
- ACV Hit The Road Tomorrow
- Today, Sunday Nov 6 @ Whitley Bay Jazz Party
- Vibraphonia - Whitley Bay Jazz Party - Saturday
- Day 2 @ Whitley Bay - Program
- RIP Papa Bue
- Late News - Tonight at Hoochie.
- The Bud Tones at Hoochie Coochie Thursday 3rd Nove...
- Brass Jaw @ The Lit & Phil. November 3rd
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party 2011
- R.I.P. Beryl Davis
- Swing Swing Swing! The Benny Goodman Sextet Revis...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's.
- Things Ain't What They Used To Be
- A Monday Date
- ▼ November ( 78 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.