Bebop Spoken There
Gregg Field: "If I play an aggressive fill, he [Sinatra] might look back with a huge grin on his face. But if we don't do something right, we get the ray, and his ray makes Benny Goodman's ray look like Mother Theresa's ''- (Down Beat June 1995).
Clifford Brown: "Club owners hire stars, but try to save money by putting in a local rhythm section. If these new men are weak musically, they hurt the star's reputation too." - (Down Beat May4, 1955).
Today Wednesday September 28
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Monday, December 29, 2008
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Friday, December 26, 2008
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Friday, December 19, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Monday, December 08, 2008
Sunday, December 07, 2008
Saturday, December 06, 2008
Thursday, December 04, 2008
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
"Lights Out", a blues drenched opus that gave the title to one of the original albums that make up the set ("Contour" was the other) has more Milesisms from Byrd but it is McLean at his most Parkeresque who goes home with the cigar.Check it out sometime; it's bound to be on CD
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Monday, December 01, 2008
- ► 2016 ( 723 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
- Nov/Dec 2008 Deaths
- Jazz Esquires at the Porthole
- Courtney Pine - C.B.E.
- Freddie Hubbard Dead - age 70. R.I.P.
- A Funny Valentine
- (Good Time) Jazz in the Afternoon at Culler'
- Zoe Gilby and Jim Mullen at Wakefield Jazz Club
- Who is Hilma?
- R.I.P. Eartha - "Santa Baby" Dies on Xmas Day.
- An Elf Warning
- Partying at the Porthole with the Maine Street Jaz...
- Jazz in the Afternoon at Cullercoats
- The Christmas Number One (in Hong Kong)
- Oscar Peterson Trio Live at Ronnie Scott's - BBC 4...
- British Dance Band Music - Liz
- Count Basie Live 1965 - BBC4
- The Swing Thing - BBC 4
- More Djangology from John Taylor
- Louis Armstrong Night on BBC 4
- Django Related Bliss by Liz
- Dave O'Higgins with the Noel Dennis Quartet - Repo...
- Liz Gives Her Age Away!
- Kevin McKenzie Quartet - Schmazz at the Cluny
- Ned Kelly Big Band Clip from Colin Aitchison
- A Little Bit of Bebop
- BBC 4
- WJRK Play HUMPH
- Xmas Party at Blaydon
- Jools Holland and his R & B Orchestra - Report by ...
- Alan Glen Trio Raising the Bar at the Chilli
- Hong Kong News - Colin Aitchison
- Rosemary Squires - Afternoon Delight
- Perdido St. Jazzmen
- Michael Parkinson by Liz
- Favourite - Richie Kamuca by Roly Veitch
- Handbagging at the Elephant. Ashington Jazz Club r...
- Boppin' in Byker
- Jackie, Not Ronnie, McLean
- Clem Avery Photo Gallery
- ▼ December ( 41 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)