Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Tuesday, January 03, 2017
Makes it all worth while!
- CD Review: Josh Green & The Cyborg Orchestra - Tel...
- The Halcyon - ITV 9pm.
- Sage Gateshead on Sunday - The Cole Porter Songboo...
- New Year New Artists @Sage Gateshead. January 29 S...
- Jazz Latin Groove @ The Globe: January 28
- John Le Carré; Count Basie & Credo
- Mark Pringle / Tom Syson Duo @ The Jazz Cafe Janu...
- Globe Gig News
- CD Review: The Baylor Project - The Journey
- CD Review: Mark Whitfield - Grace
- Mark Williams & Joel McCullough @ The Lit & Phil. ...
- Book Review: P.C. Dettmann - Ernest Zevon
- Bill Shaw's Comic Gallery.
- CD Review: Mosaic – Subterranea
- CD Review: The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra wi...
- CD Review: Trish Clowes – My Iris
- CD Review: Henry Spencer and Juncture – The Reason...
- Preview for New Year New Artists @ Sage this Satur...
- Going Dutch @ The Lit & Phil (afternoon session) -...
- Going Dutch @ The Lit & Phil (evening session) - J...
- Dutch Treat @ The Jazz Cafe January 21.
- Budtet @ The Globe Jazz Bar - January 21
- CD Review:Tommy Smith Youth Jazz Orchestra - Effer...
- Graeme Wilson Quintet @ Opus 4, Travellers Rest, D...
- RIP Terry Cryer
- Triggerlawross @ The Jazz Café. Jan 20 - and a wed...
- Washington and Donald Swing
- CD Review: Miguel Zenon - Tipico
- CD Review: Audrey Silver - Very Early
- Songbook - The Performers, Band Leaders, Arrangers...
- Moonlighting Season 2 Episode 4 The Dream Sequence...
- CD Review: Benedikt Jahnel Trio – Invariant
- Jazz Café Jam Session - January 17.
- CD Review: John Abercrombie Quartet – Up and Comi...
- Jazz Café Press Release
- The Whisky Glass Blues - Scott Black & Red Pellin...
- James (The Mesmeriser) Harrison & Friends. Saltbur...
- Film review: La La Land
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Globe Jazz Bar - January 12.
- Tonight @ The Globe.
- Nothing unlucky about being in Saltburn on Friday ...
- New Kid on the Block.
- Jazz Record Requests Returns to Sage Gateshead
- Death of a Legend. RIP Buddy Greco (August 14, 192...
- Nat Hentoff (June 10, 1925 - January 7, 2017)
- Full Marks To Caffè Nero At South Shields ...
- CD Review: The Fred Hughes Trio - Matrix
- Vintage Chart toppers
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe - January 4
- Zoe Gilby (vocal)/ Alan Law (piano) @ The Jazz Caf...
- Hong Kong Calling...
- New Jam in Billingham
- Jazz North East and Dutch Performing Arts present ...
- CD Review: Ron Boustead - Unlikely Valentine
- 2016 – The Year in Vinyl by Steve T.
- Jazz Mags Looking for a Home
- Bongo Boy And Butt Girl - An In Chanting Couple (A...
- Dave Shepherd (February 7, 1929 - December 15, 201...
- Makes it all worth while!
- Paul Skerritt Band
- A Look at 2016
- Blame it on their youth
- Preview: Southport Jazz Festival @ Royal Clifton H...
- CD Review: Alex Levine Quartet - Towards the Cente...
- NCRO Tickets Now on Sale
- ▼ January ( 67 )
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)