Bebop Spoken There
Dewey Redman: "When Trane came to Bop City in San Francisco and told me he liked the way I played, I stayed high off that forever." - (Downbeat June 1980.)
Nick Brignola: “I got to talk to John Coltrane before he was John Coltrane!” – (Jazz Journal April 1991)
Today Tuesday January 17
Thursday, August 18, 2016
CD Review: California Feetwarmers - Silver Seas
(Review by Lance).
Well, I'm into history and this is history, albeit not totally ancient - some of it pre-dates ancient! Having said that, it kinds of grows on you and brings to mind the various Red Hot Pennies groups that Red Nichols fronted. Hot dance music of the 1920s. Foot tapping stuff and, if you feel like shimmying like your sister does, then this is ideal.
Of course, if you've already got Muggsy's Great 16 or a few Condon records the choice becomes no choice.
Nevertheless, these Californians manage to merge a little, Cajun, Skiffle and Ragtime into the mix making it quite a unique melange.
"Take your partners for the Blackbottom followed by the Cakewalk, the Polka and some Western Swing..."
Tracks: Silver Seas; Shake it, Break it; Tain'tNo Use; Weeping Willow; Dixie Waltz; Betty Brown; Pride Blues; She's Crying For me; The Breeze That Brought me Home; Third Street Float; At the Jazz Band Ball; Wooden Nickel and Red Head Romp.
- Durham Alumni Big Band with Al Wood @ Ushaw Durham...
- What is Jazz? With Alyn Shipton and Alan Barnes @ ...
- CD Review: Victoria Klewin And The True Tones - Da...
- Monastery of Sound: Early Bird Band @ Ushaw Durham...
- Zoë Gilby Quartet @ Ushaw Durham Jazz Festival. Au...
- Northern Monkey Brass Band @ Ushaw Durham Jazz Fes...
- The Globe Does The Tango!
- Tango Jazz Quartet @ The Globe - August 29
- Tall Ships Day 4 - August 29
- Tall Ships Day 3
- CD Review: Philip Clemo – Dream Maps - “To sleep p...
- Tall Ships Day Two
- Tall Ships - Day One.
- R.I.P Rudy Van Gelder
- CD Review:Alexander Stewart - I Thought About You
- Coming Soon....
- Latin Jazz Groove @ Hoochie Coochie - August 25
- The Bookcase
- All Aboard the Tall Ships!
- 'Louis'- An Appreciation by JC.
- Remembering Louis Stewart (January 5, 1944 - Augus...
- RIP Derek Smith (August 17, 1931 - August 2016)
- CD Review: Music Soup - Cut To The Chase
- Tees Hot Club becomes Thames Hot Club for one nigh...
- Not a Good Week For Guitarists who played with Geo...
- Paul Edis Trio (and a surprise visitor!) @ Blaydon...
- Ilkley Jazz Festival. August 19-21
- James Peacock @ The Vermont Hotel. August 21
- More Quotes
- Claire Kelly with Pete Gilligan @ The Globe: Augus...
- Painting a Picture at Ushaw
- Strictly Soakin’ Big Band @ The Tyne Bar. August 2...
- RIP Louis Stewart
- Christmas comes but twice a year - It could only h...
- Late addition to listings
- Ace Trio to play Blaydon Jazz Club
- CD Review: Fred Hersch Trio - Sunday Night at The ...
- CD Review: Not Now Charlie - Nostalgia Revisited
- Alan Barnes is sworn to secrecy…
- Indigo Voices @ The Globe: Tonight August 18: Prev...
- CD Review: California Feetwarmers - Silver Seas
- RIP Bobby Hutcherson.
- CD Review: Barney Kessel - Live At the Jazz Mill 1...
- Quadrant 4
- CD Review: Ben Bryden - Glasgow Dreamer - The Musi...
- And you see Laura - and then you don't!
- Russell cross examines Alyn Shipton
- Talking jazz at Ushaw Durham Jazz Festival
- All the fun of the jazz carnival!
- Blaydon Beckons
- Global Goings-on
- Musicians Unlimited @ Jackson's Wharf, Hartlepool....
- A Great Day in Harlem
- R.I.P. Kenny Baker
- Today on JRR.
- CD Review: Masumi Ormandy - Sunshine in Manhattan
- Dean Stockdale & Noel Dennis @ The Jazz Café - Aug...
- The Last of the Summer Jazz @ The Jazz Café
- CD Review: Euan Stevenson & Konrad Wiszniewski – N...
- CD Review: Kristian Borring – Silent Storm
- CD Review: Zach Larmer Electric Band – Inner Circl...
- Face the Music
- CD Review: Sergio Pereira - Swingdando.
- An Intro to Ushaw Jazz Festival From Paul Edis (It...
- CD Review: Scott Morgan - Songs of Life
- There'll be Some Changes Made...
- Durham Ushaw Jazz Festival
- RIP Pete Fountain
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Mark Williams Trio: Au...
- Jazz Co-op Summer Weekend Workshop @ The Globe: Au...
- Jazz Radio 3 Times
- CD Review: Daniela Schächter - Jimmy Van Heusen
- Teesside Jazz
- Happy Birthday (Belated) Tony Bennett
- Ray Burns w. the Peter Gilligan Trio @ The Cherry ...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Crescent Club Cullercoats - ...
- Jazz Café Jam Session Tuesday August 2.
- Tomorrow night @ The Cherry Tree
- Old Hat Jazz Band
- The Girl From Ipanema: BBC4
- CD Review: Mike Gamble & His Rhythm Serenaders
- Musicians Unlimited @ The Park Inn. July 31
- Orpheus Project - Preview Ellery Eskelin Tour (Glo...
- ▼ August ( 83 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)