Bebop Spoken There
Miles Kington: "If the intake of alcohol fails to improve a jazz player's performance, why do jazz listeners think it improves their appreciation?" - (Jazz Express October 1982).
Barbara Jay: "My first gig was at the Astoria, Charing Cross Rd. It seemed like a den of iniquity to me. All the Soho girls were there and the gigolos with their old women paying them to dance..." - (Jazz UK May 2008.)
Today Monday February 27
Monday, May 09, 2016
Roy Ayers preview Sage 2 Thursday May 12.
- CD Review: Will Goble – Consider the Blues.
- Preview: Gerry Richardson @ Jazz Café Thursday Jun...
- In a Silent Way?
- Randy Travis - Honky Tonk Moon
- And the band played on… Alice Grace & Peter Gillig...
- Alice Grace & Peter Gilligan @ the Jazz Café - May...
- Harry Potter and a Quintet On Fire - The Sue Ferri...
- Academy Stars - The Early Bird Band.
- Gershwin All Week
- Funky jazz and howling Hammonds come to Durham
- Dean Stockdale Trio @ The Lit & Phil. May 27
- Ingrid Jensen Quartet @ The Black Swan May 26
- Preview: Riviera Quartet @ The Globe - June 9.
- Paul Skerritt: New York! New York!
- Preview: Anna Corcoran Band / Robert Vincent @ Jaz...
- CD Review: Peter Edwards Trio - A Matter of Instin...
- CD Review: Johnny Hunter Quartet - While We Still ...
- CD Reviews: Jack DeJohnette, Ravi Coltrane and Mat...
- More on Noel Dennis Trio @ Jazz Cafe - May 20
- Norvol Jazz network’s first international tour wit...
- Claire Kelly's back in town next month
- Franco’s Birthday..A Night He’ll Never Forget…Or R...
- Juggernaut Love Band @ Hoochie Coochie - May 22
- Alice Grace Quartet @ The Cherry Tree, May 18
- Lindsay Sings the Blues @ Gala Theatre, Durham. Ma...
- Last Night @ the Globe - The Alan Glen Trio. May 2...
- Tonight @ The Globe - The Alan Glen Trio
- Noel Dennis Trio @ Jazz Café - May 20.
- Thomas Strønen – Time is a Blind Guide @ Sage Gate...
- BABMUS @ The Jazz Café, Newcastle. May 19
- Resolution 88 @ Hoochie Coochie - May 19
- RIP Judith (Judy) Moore
- Jazz Café Jam Session - May 17
- CD Review:Fabrizio Sotti Trio - Forty
- The Tyne Trio @ JRA Community Festival. May 16
- CD Review: Benet McLean - The Bopped and the Bople...
- Noel Dennis-Paul Edis Quartet @ The Black Bull, Bl...
- Brass Musicians Required for Video Shoot
- RIP Buster Cooper.
- Early Birds Band @ Lit and Phil - May 14.
- CD Review: Jeff Denson Quartet - Concentric Circle...
- Anita Wardell @ The Globe - May 14.
- Simone Gubbiotti Trio @ The Jazz Café, Newcastle. ...
- Preview: Anita Wardell @ The Globe, Newcastle - To...
- The Vicissitudes of Love. The Ruth Lambert Trio @ ...
- CD Review: Sari Kessler - Do Right.
- Roy Ayers @ Sage Gateshead - May 12.
- When You're Smiling
- CD Review: Per Oddvar Johansen – Let's Dance
- The Ronnie Scott’s Club Quintet - The Ronnie Scott...
- RIP Joe Temperley
- Stoned again! Vieux Carré Jazzmen are on the move
- An Evening With Tony Hadley (and Paul Skerritt!)
- Tonight @ The Gala Theatre Durham
- Preview: Alan Law/Rebecca Gregson Duo with Guest K...
- Burton Agnes Jazz and Blues Festival 2016 - Win a ...
- Women Make Music @ the Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - M...
- More Discs to Die For.
- Lit & Phil - Summer Sequence
- Roy Ayers preview Sage 2 Thursday May 12.
- Ilkley Jazz Festival Program - Press Release
- NUJO @ JRA Community Festival. May 7
- Budtet @ The Globe - May 7.
- Peter Gilligan Quartet: Empty Shop Durham - May 5....
- CD Review: Louis Heriveaux - Triadic Episode.
- Lewis Curry & Glenn Lambie @ St Nicholas Cathedral...
- More on George Richardson + Ken Colyer @ The Club ...
- RIP George Richardson
- Cheers for the Jazz Coop.
- VEIN w. Greg Osby @ the Lit & Phil - May 4.
- But Does it Have Anything to do With Jazz? Yes @ C...
- CD Review: Delta Saxophone Quartet with Gwilym Sim...
- Remo Belli 1927-2016
- Jazz Café Jam Session - May 3.
- Ann Alex @ Cheltenham Jazz Festival: May 2 – Sort ...
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 10
- Sean Noonan’s Pavees Dance @ Bridge Hotel, Newcast...
- CD Review: Matt Wilson's Big Happy Family - Beginn...
- Where Has Ann Alex Got To?
- CD Review: Tony Lustig Quintet - Taking Flight.
- A Mini-review of a Mini-gig! Jazzattack @ Sage Gat...
- Scottish National Jazz Orchestra - The Music of Da...
- ▼ May ( 82 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)