Bebop Spoken There
Frank Tate: “Travelling’s part of life. It just goes with the job. It’s in one’s best interests, I think, to enjoy it, because it’s sure what you’re gonna be doing!” – (Jazz Journal February 1992)
Joe Temperley"I was on the bus as Carney's replacement. I said to Harold Ashby 'Where are we going?' He answered 'What difference does it make?' " - (Jazz UK January 2013.)
Today Saturday January 21
James Harrison (solo piano) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Hannah Taylor/Alix Shepherd - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
Dutch Treat - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 9pm. £3.
Budtet - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8pm. £5.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Friday, April 22, 2016
International Jazz Day:The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra - The Music of Dave Brubeck @ Sage Gateshead 0n April 30
- John Bailey Quintet @ The Jazz Café. April 29
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Ashington earlier today.
- CD Review: Chris Ziemba - Manhattan Lullaby
- It's not jazz, it's American music every Tuesday
- International Jazz Day
- CD Review: Vimala Rowe/John Etheridge - Out of the...
- The Jazz Esquires Ride Again
- Gerry Richardson Soul Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie - ...
- The Gala Big Band, @ The Gala Theatre, Durham - Ap...
- The Partikel Quartet @ The Jazz Café April 26
- Miles Ahead for the jazz junkie
- CD Review: Lady Sings the Blues - Laughing at Life...
- Leash @ Jazz Café, Newcastle – April 22
- Tomorrow night (April 28) @ Hoochie Coochie - The ...
- RIP Billy Paul.
- CD Review: Tom Bancroft: Trio Red – Lucid Dreamers...
- Darlington Jazz Festival: Dennis Rollins & Al Wood...
- Darlington Jazz Festival: From Clervaux to the Qua...
- CD Review: Noah Preminger – Dark Was the Night, Co...
- CD Review: Michael Blum Quartet - Chasin' Oscar
- CD Review/Gig Preview: Preston Glasgow Lowe - @ Gl...
- GIJF: JB’s Cats - Sage Gateshead April 16
- Darlington Jazz Festival: Matt Roberts Sextet play...
- Noel Dennis Trio @ The Lit & Phil. April 22
- Swing 16 @ The Globe Jazz Bar - April 24
- Vintage Chart Toppers - Episode 9
- Who's that standing next to James Harrison?
- Bard - Lives!
- Archipelago @ The Globe April 22
- GIJF: Malija @ Sage Gateshead April 17
- Prince and the Prince of Darkness
- CD/Download Review: Paul Taylor - Cusps.
- International Jazz Day:The Scottish National Jazz ...
- Introducing Ruth Lambert
- GIJF: Kris Bowers @ Sage Gateshead. April 16
- GIJF: Northern Monkey Brass Band @ Sage Gateshesd....
- CD Review: Lauren White - Out of the Past: Jazz & ...
- Breaking News! Ros Rigby stands down after fifteen...
- GIJF: Terence Blanchard e-collective @ Sage Gatesh...
- GIJF: John Surman w. Alexander Hawkins Trio @ Sage...
- GIJF: Evan Parker @ Sage Gateshead. April 15.
- Miles at the Tyneside Cinema this Friday!
- GIJF: Courtney Pine & Zoe Rahman @ Sage Gateshead ...
- GIJF: Liane Carroll & Ian Shaw @ Sage Gateshead. A...
- CD Review: Manu Katché – Unstatic
- GIJF: The Simon Spillett Quartet Play the Music of...
- GIJF: Café Society Swing - Sage Gateshead April 17...
- GIJF - Day Three Line-up (Today Sunday April 17)
- GIJF: Phil Meadows Lifecycles w. Royal Northern Si...
- GIJF: Jambone - Sage Gateshead. April 16.
- GIJF – Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ Sage Gateshead....
- GIJF - The Opening Salvo
- GIJF - Arun Ghosh Sextet - Sage Gateshead April 15...
- GIJF Day Two Line-up
- GIJF Day One Line-up
- JNE Stand at GIJF
- Tessa Souter w. Pete Gilligan Trio @ The Cherry Tr...
- Deep Whole Trio @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - Ap...
- Purseglove & Noble Make More European Music
- Mark Williams Trio @ The Jazz Café. April 12
- Today - Tessa Souter @ The Cherry Tree
- GATESHEAD INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL RETURNS THIS...
- CD Review: Kat Parra - Songbook of the Américas.
- Zoë Gilby @ Symphony Hall
- Emma Fisk’s Hot Club du Nord @ Hot Club de Blaydon...
- The Up North Southern Roundup
- CD Review: Sarah King & The Smoke Rings
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 7
- The Early Bird Sessions @ The Lit & Phil. April 9
- Minnie & the Moochers @ The Globe/Papal Law @ The ...
- Trio Subtonic @ The Jazz Café Newcastle April 8
- CD Review: Daria - Strawberry Fields Forever, Song...
- RIP Jazz Esquires
- SNJO Take the Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Glasg...
- Inclusion Principle @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle ...
- Kandace Springs @ GIJF
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 5
- CD Reviewers Required
- International Jazz Artists play The Jazz Cafe Frid...
- Geoff Schofield on Tubby, Coltrane
- CD Review: Rebecca Kilgore - Moonshadow Dance
- Vintage Chart Toppers No. 6
- RIP Gato Barbieri
- Francesco Falcioni @ the Launch of the Refurbished...
- Soundbone @ The Jazz Café. April 1
- Pasadena Roof Orchestra @ The Customs House, South...
- Pasadena Roof Orchestra -Tonight at Customs House,...
- CD Review: Adison Evans - Hero
- ▼ April ( 88 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)