Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Thursday, February 25, 2016
Johnston/Edis @ Sage Gateshead
- Infusion Quartet @ The Quakerhouse. Feb 28
- CD Review: Andy Schumm & Enrico Tomasso - When LOU...
- Ian Shaw, Sarah Gillespie, Sarah Jane Morris, Clai...
- Vintage Chart Toppers
- CD Review: Daryl Sherman - My Blue Heaven.
- The Riviera Quartet @ The Jazz Café - Feb. 26
- Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ The Lit & Phil. February 26
- CD Release: Matt Ridley - Metta
- SNOWBOY celebrates his 30th anniversary, since his...
- Johnston/Edis @ Sage Gateshead
- Farewell John Chilton
- Our Man on Radio Hong Kong
- World Premiere of St. Cuthbert's Suite in March
- CD Review: Socrates Garcia Latin Jazz Orchestra - ...
- Dave Gelly: Stan Getz - Nobody Else But Me.
- Kathryn Lowdon EP Launch @ Hoochie Coochie - Feb. ...
- A first For The Globe – Clog Dancing!
- Alone Together: Noel Dennis & Dean Stockdale @ The...
- This afternoon @ Hoochie Coochie - EP Launch
- CD Review: Kirk MacDonald - Symmetry
- Bone Idol Homecoming
- You lookin’ at me?
- Tomorrow (Sunday Feb. 21) @ The Globe
- CD Review: Patrick Cornelius - While We're Still Y...
- R.I.P. Brendan Healy.
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Ruth Lambert and the One T...
- Prologue to review of Ruth Lambert and the One Tri...
- Tonight @ The Globe
- Echoes Magazine Celebrates its 40th Anniversary
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café. February 16
- CD Review: Mary Foster Conklin - Photographs
- Empty Shop Update
- Equinox Full House
- NYJC Summer School Deadline this Friday (Feb. 19)
- Graeme Wilson Quartet/Grandma @ The Bridge - Febru...
- CD Review: GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object.
- CD Review: Tord Gustavsen - What was said.
- CD Review: Vitor Pereira Quintet - New World
- Not Now Charlie + Saxophonics @ The Jazz Café. Feb...
- Northern Monkey Brass Band @ Hoochie - Feb. 12
- RIP Brian Sibbald
- CD review: Aruán Ortiz Trio - Hidden Voices
- Fogies of the World Unite!
- CD Backlog
- Africarmen @ Dance City
- Black Bull, Blaydon, News
- Swing Manouche featuring Daniel John Martin @ the ...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Indigo Voices: This Friday...
- Burt, Champion & Mwamba @ The Bridge Hotel Februar...
- Equinox for the Quakerhouse
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Andy Lawrenson Trio - ...
- CD Review: Avishai Cohen - Into the Silence.
- EP Review: Kathryn Lowdon and the Soul Engineers -...
- CD Review: Ira Hill - Tomorrow.
- Jazz North East @ The Black Swan present a Women M...
- Havana Club 5 Turn Them Away!
- RIP Tony Raine
- CD Review: Ken Peplowski - Enrapture
- GINA SOUTHGATE @ Newcastle Arts Centre - ‘Woman Pa...
- GOGO PENGUIN Announce debut album for Blue Note ...
- TEAM CYCLES ANNOUNCE SPONSORSHIP OF GATESHEAD INTE...
- CD Review: Empirical – Connection
- Dexter Gordon @ University Theatre - Info sought.
- Jazz Café Jam Session - Feb. 2
- Crazy Rhythm: Another in my series of Favourite So...
- You Can See Miles Ahead
- Jamie Toms and Not Now Charlie
- The Lowdown on [Kathryn] Lowdon.
- Evening Chronicle/Pizza Express Competition.
- Durham Jazz Festival at Ushaw!
- Vintage J.G.Windows advert.
- ▼ February ( 71 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)