Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Sunday, September 06, 2015
Farewell Joy Beverley (1924-2015)
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- Jeff Herr Corporation @ Jazz Cafe - Sept.29
- Phil Woods (Nov. 2, 1931 - Sept. 29, 2015)
- CD Review: Carter Calvert – It’s a Man’s World.
- CD Review: Scott Hamilton & Jeff Hamilton Trio - L...
- Duo Gig Going @ The Caff
- Marsden Jazz Festival 2015
- CD Review: Jeff Herr Corporation - Layer Cake (On ...
- Things You Can Do At The Globe For Free
- Smoove & Turrell Calling
- CD Review: Julian Argüelles – Tetra
- Let's Make History!
- House of the Black Gardenia @ The Globe. September...
- RIP Wilton Felder
- Jason Isaacs @ Bonbar, Newcastle - Sept. 27
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Bradley Johnston Quartet -...
- CD Review: Matthew Halsall & the Gondwana Orchestr...
- Stop Press!
- Swing Manouche/ The Early Bird Band @ Ushaw Colleg...
- Soundbone plays Led Zep @ Jazz Café. September 25
- CD Review: Michael Janisch – Paradigm Shift
- Soweto Kinch @ Hoochie Coochie - Sept. 25
- CD Review: Tim Thornton - The Feel Good Place
- Yoko Miura/Charlie Collins + Zoe Gilby @ The Lit &...
- Tomorrow Night (Sept. 25) @ Hoochie Coochie!
- Solweig Elizabeth Grönlund
- CD Review: Linda Calise - La Vie My Life
- CD Review: David Patrick Octet - Igor Stravinsky, ...
- RIP Ray Warleigh.
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Blue Jazz Sextet/Off Key -...
- Empty Shop won't be empty on these two evenings!
- CD Review: Kai Hoffman - Luckiest Girl Alive
- Film and Jazz Talk @ Central Library, Newcastle Oc...
- Bradley Johnston Quartet @ The Black Bull, Blaydon...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band w. Anthony Strong @ Hooc...
- The Early Bird Band @ St. Cuthbert’s Parish Hall, ...
- CD Review: Sam Coombes Trio - Pace of Change
- This afternoon at Hoochie.
- Paul Edis & Graham Hardy @ The Jazz Café. Septembe...
- Elliot Galvin Trio @ The Lit and Phil - Sept. 18
- Alice Grace Quintet @ The Jazz Café - Sept. 18
- CD Review: Girls in Airports - Fables
- Power Jazz Commando Team Return to the Toon
- Michael Woods @ The Lit & Phil. September 18
- Jay Nemor Band @ Hoochie Coochie - Sept. 17
- Preview: Tonight @ Hoochie
- Preview: Sunday @ The Globe
- Preview: Sunday @ Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Jeff Benedict Big Band - Holmes.
- Final reminder : Alice Grace Quintet at the Jazz C...
- CD Review: Tipping Point – The Earthworm’s Eye Vie...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - Sept. 15
- History of Redcar Jazz Club
- Remembering Alan Palliser
- CD Review: Tiffany Austin - Nothing But Soul
- Jazz North East presents Splinter @ the Bridge, wi...
- Come Sunday @ the Black Bull
- The Life of a Great Monk
- The Road to Morocco
- CD Review: Oscar Peterson - Exclusively for My fri...
- Tune in to Claude the Great on In Tune
- Greg Spero Quartet @ Dacre Hall, Lanercost Priory ...
- Zoë Gilby/Alan Law Duo @ the Jazz Café - Sept. 12
- CD Sale
- CD Review: Josh Maxey - Celebration of Soul
- Mark Pringle's Moveable Feast Trio @ The Jazz Café...
- GLOBAL NEWSFLASH!
- Rhythm & Blues All Darlington Day Long
- Gateshead Jazz Appreciation Society
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen's Alternative Venue
- RIP Alan Palliser
- Preview: The Strictly Smokin’ Big Band featuring A...
- Pilgrim St., Set @ Hoochie Coochie - Sept. 10
- CD Review: Don Laka - Afro Chopin
- The Weekend Starts at Hoochie Coochie Tonight
- Greg Spero gigs this weekend
- Budtones Require Pianist and Trumpet Player/Bari S...
- CD Review: Liane Carroll – Seaside.
- CD Review: Mark Pringle – A Moveable Feast
- CD Review: Durham University Big Band – overDUBB
- CD Review: Moonlight Saving Time - Meeting At Nigh...
- Farewell Joy Beverley (1924-2015)
- Jazz Machine @ The Globe - Gilligan/Glendinning @ ...
- Folk Meets Jazz @The Globe: September 3 - Good Tim...
- CD Review: Pete McCann - Range.
- James Harrison Trio @ The Lit and Phil, Newcastle....
- Jason Isaacs update
- A Good Jazz Drummer Can Get Rhythm Out of Anything...
- Newcastle University Postgraduate Recitals @ The J...
- Check out what Claude Werner's doing these days.
- Jazz Café Jam Session - September 1
- A Jazz Heritage
- THE SCOTTISH NATIONAL JAZZ ORCHESTRA directed by ...
- Folk Meets Jazz Comes Round Again
- CD Review: Don Trudell Plays the Piano.
- ▼ September ( 94 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)