Bebop Spoken There
Ken Peplowski: “I try to play the clarinet like a clarinet and not like a guy doubling on another instrument.” – (Down Beat July 2004).
James Morrison: “I’m not a trumpet player that doubles on flugelhorn. I’m a musician that plays trumpet, flugelhorn, euphonium and the rest.” – (Jazz Journal January 1992).
Today Friday January 20
Wednesday, August 19, 2015
CD Review: Mark Christian Miller - Crazy Moon
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- Between the Delaval and the Deep Blue Sea...
- Teddy Wilson in Newcastle
- Steve Glendinning/Peter Gilligan @ The Globe Jazz ...
- Queens of Jazz: the Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas...
- This Weekend's Jazz Coop Gigs @ The Globe Jazz Bar...
- Tonight @ The Proms
- CD Review: Sinne Eeg - Eeg-Fonnesbæk
- CD Review: Daniel Fortin - Brinks.
- Peter Gilligan Trio w. Alice Grace @ The Cherry Tr...
- Tonight (August 26) @ The Cherry Tree
- CD Review: Fred Hersch - Solo
- CD Review: Mette Juul - There is a Song
- Hartlepool Fundraiser
- CD Review: Shatner’s Bassoon – The Self Titled Alb...
- Message Received From Saturn
- Steve Stephenson Show Band.
- Damian Cook and Sam Dunn @ The Globe Jazz Bar - Au...
- CD Review: Misha Mullov-Abbado - New Ansonia
- ACV (Mk 2) to debut in Edinburgh
- Saturday Night at the Globe
- Tonight on tv.
- Will it be Tuxedo or Clapham Junction?
- Hexham Hotline
- CD Review: Mark Christian Miller - Crazy Moon
- Jazz Café Update
- Melody Maker - the Dead Sea Scrolls of Jazz
- CD Review: Man Overboard Quintet - Down in the Dee...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Black Bull, Blaydon. August 1...
- Jason Isaacs & The Ambassadors of Swing @ Hoochie ...
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Jazz C...
- Paul Gowland & Bradley Johnston @ The Jazz Café. A...
- This Afternoon @ Hoochie Coochie
- Strictly Smokin' Little Big Soul Band at Tyne Bar ...
- Zoë Gilby Trio with Noel Dennis @ The Jazz Café. A...
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie August 13.
- Tonight at Hoochie
- CD Review: Eddie Toal - Always in my Heart.
- Hoochie Happenings
- CD Review: Andrea Wood - Kaleidoscope
- LP Review: Tubby Hayes Quartet - Live at the Hopbi...
- Blaydon Update
- Strictly Good Weather @ the Tyne Bar
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Ashington Jazz Club - August 5...
- Remembering Ray Truscott @ Jazz Café
- Mark Williams & Joel McCullough @ The Jazz Café. A...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz: August 6
- Ayanna Witter-Johnson Fundraiser
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. August 7
- Super Saturday - well mainly...
- Lambert and Williams @ The Vermont Hotel. August 7...
- The Early Bird Band @ The Jazz Café - August 7.
- The Best of British Tell the Story of Swing
- Variety @ The Jazz Bar
- Sage Gateshead says "Thank You..."
- CD Review: Mason Razavi/Bennett Roth-Newell - Afte...
- Be Early For the Early Birds
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Weekend Workshop And O...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Preview: Folk Meets Jazz: ...
- Alice Graces the Jazz Café
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café - August 4
- RIP Harry Pitch
- CD Review: Bruno Heinen & Kristian Borring - Postc...
- Friday Night is Definitely Music Night on BBC4
- OXYD play Nirvana @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - Aug...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Williams/Tanton Quartet. A...
- Musical Menu @ the Cherry Tree
- RIP Cilla.
- CD Review: Indigo Kid II - Fist Full of Notes.
- Down Beat Hereby Declares…
- Musicians Unlimited in Holiday Mood
- Hip Hop Spoken Here - Cantaloop @ Hoochie Coochie....
- ▼ August ( 71 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)