Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Monday, July 06, 2015
New Century Ragtime Orchestra News
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- CD Review/Gig Preview: Damian Cook & Sam Dunn - In...
- Sam Leak Big Band - Summer Tales and Winding Roads...
- CD Review: Durham University Big Band - overDUBB
- Vieux Carré are out and about today
- OXYD "Plugged in Nirvana" Summer UK Tour
- Schmazz presents the Jonathan Silk Big Band @ The ...
- Schmazz presents The Jonathan Silk Big Band
- Dean Stockdale @ The Vermont Hotel - July 26
- Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi with the New Cen...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Budtones - July 25
- Gerry Richardson & Adam Sinclair @ The Jazz Café -...
- Play Jazz! weekend workshop
- CD Review: Nick Finzer - The Chase
- CD Review: Mark Winkler - Jazz And Other Four Lett...
- The Lighthouse Goes Dark
- CD Review: Slowlight Quartet - Live at Manchester ...
- RIP Van Alexander
- DVD/CD Review: Jazz on a Summer's Day
- Big Band Blitz
- Preview: This Sunday at the Globe - Strictly Smoki...
- Preview: Swing Manouche - Cherry Tree Wednesday Ju...
- Bratislava Hot Serenaders @ Sage Gateshead July 21...
- CD Review: Drifter - Flow.
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Black Bull - July 19
- Summertyne Americana: The McCrary Sisters/Cedric B...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Claire Kelly Trio - Ju...
- Graeme Wilson & Paul Edis @ The Jazz Café. July 18...
- Americana Festival @ Sage Gateshead: James Hunter ...
- RIP John Taylor (1942 - 2015)
- The Early Bird Sessions @ The Lit & Phil. July 18
- Americana Festival @ Sage Gateshead: Emmylou Harri...
- Roy Ayers @ Hoochie Coochie - July 17.
- Sue Ferris Trio @ The Jazz Café. July 17
- CD Review: Miles Davis @ Newport 1955-1975 - THE B...
- Book review: Ray Celestin - The Axeman’s Jazz
- Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller at Carnegie Hall 19...
- Weather Report - Sage Gateshead
- Ravi Coltrane Quartet @ Sage Gateshead - July 15
- Change of Venue.
- CD Review: Colin Aitchison & The China Coast Jazzm...
- This Sunday in Blaydon...
- Harton Soul?
- Book now for weekend workshop 1-2 August at the Gl...
- RIP Ken Gibson
- Jambone/Jazz Attack Summer Workshop Led by Paul Ed...
- RIP Ashington Jazz Club
- Alice Grace and Pete Gilligan @ the Jazz Café - Ju...
- CD Review: Rebecca Kilgore Trio - Just Imagine.
- Getting Monk is a Habit
- The Big Band in the Sky is Getting Bigger...
- Book Review: Simon Spillett - The Long Shadow of t...
- CD review: Alex Hutton Trio - Magna Carta Suite
- Andy Hudson remembers Ken Gibson
- Pilgrim Street Set @ Hoochie Coochie. July 9
- Greg Abate w. Paul Edis Trio @ the Lit and Phil -...
- Vieux Carré International Jazzmen @ The Millstone,...
- Ken Gibson Dead?
- Jazz Café jam session coda – Francesco sings!
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café - July 7.
- Mette Rasmussen and Chris Corsano @ the Lit and Ph...
- Le Jazz Hot
- Colin Aitchison, Franco Valussi & Steve Andrews @ ...
- RIP Bob Whitlock
- Fred Rowe Retires
- The Fox Sessions
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra News
- Blaydon Jazz Club Update
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ Ashington Jazz Club - July 1
- Belinda Voshtina and Alan Law @ The Jazz Café - Ju...
- CD Review: SNJO w. Makoto Ozone - JEUNEHOMME Mozar...
- CD Review: Brianna Thomas - You Must Believe In Lo...
- Paul Edis (New York) Trio with Graham Hardy @ The...
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie - July 3
- Folk Meets Jazz @ The Globe July 2
- Belated news on the passing of Joe McMullen.
- CD Review: The Weave - Knowledge Porridge.
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen w. Colin Aitchison @ The Mills...
- RIP Eddy Louiss
- GP for GIJF 2016?
- CD Review: Better Than TV - Late
- Moonlight Saving Time @ Jazz Café – June 30
- Not the 9 o'clock News - Barking Mad Baker, Archie...
- CD Review:Joel Harrison 5 - Spirit House
- ▼ July ( 83 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)