Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Thursday, January 01, 2015
CD Review: Quadraceratops - Quadraceratops
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- Desert Island Discs
- Dead Hedge Trio @ The Jazz Café. January 30
- Gig of the Month (January)
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Millstone. January...
- CD of the Month (January)
- Jason Isaacs
- EP Review: The Hot Wok - I Have to Peas
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Chillingham. January 2...
- The Globe in February...
- CD review: Jack DeJohnette – Made in Chicago
- Laura Jurd Septet @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. Jan...
- CD Review: Zhenya Strigalev's Smiling Organizm - R...
- Tubby Hayes - A Man in A Hurry.
- Diachronicx @ The Bridge Hotel. January 25
- Darlington Jazz Club: It’s a New Dawn, It’s a New ...
- Durham University Big Band @ Darlington Jazz Club....
- Don Forbes & Alan Law @:Jazz Café - January 24
- Jazz.coop @ the Globe: The Allsorts Band: Saturday...
- You’ve really gone an’ done it this time
- The Hokum Hotshots @ The Dun Cow, Sunderland. Janu...
- CD Review: Jeff Hamilton Trio - Great American Son...
- RIP Ervan Drake
- CD Review: Wildflower Sextet - Wildflower
- CD Review: Casey Golden Trio - Outliers
- Durham University Big Band Prepping Pizza Express ...
- Blanco returns to make Celtic connections
- Jazz Café Jam Session - January 20.
- CD Review: Kenny Wheeler - Songs For Quintet
- CD Review: Chris Potter Underground Orchestra – Im...
- Stretch Trio @ The Bridge Hotel. January 18
- Chris Standring Quartet @ The (Jazz Co-op) Globe J...
- To a Drummer
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Hoochie Coochie. January 18.
- Opus 4 Full House Greets the Darlington Big Band
- First Whiplash, Now Selma
- Jazz Improvisation Workshop @ Jazz Café January 13...
- James Harrison/Alex Saxon @ Jazz Café January 17
- RIP Derek Hunter
- DB Jazz Project @ Jazz Café January 16.
- Whiplash - The Film!
- CD Review: Gilad Atzmon & The Orient House Ensembl...
- Pilgrim Street Set @ Hoochie Coochie. January 14
- CD Review: Troyka – Ornithophobia
- Djangologie sell out Gala!
- The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra (SNJO) direct...
- Radio Russell: The Sound of Cinema, Somerset Blues...
- Whiplash Screen Times at Tyneside Cinema
- CD Review: Verneri Pohjola - Bullhorn
- Secret Love's no secret any more.
- Burton Agnes Jazz and Blues Festival
- Jazz Courses With The WEA
- Jazz Coop @ The Globe: Steve Glendinning Quartet: ...
- Alter Ego @ Ashington Jazz Club Jan. 7
- Jazz Café Chronicle
- R.I.P. Billy Mordue
- The Pannonica Three, Summertime in Winter and Etta...
- CD Review: Tom Green Septet - Skyline.
- Tonight at Cluny 2.
- Durham University Big Band to Première 2014 Durham...
- John Altman on James Harrison
- Tune In To In Tune
- Jazz Café Jam January 6, 2015
- CD Review:Jerry Kalaf - Welcome to Earth
- Celebration! The 20th Anniversary of The Scottish ...
- Nigel Kennedy on BBC
- A Bit of Irish Jazz History
- Debra Milne/Steve Glendinning Duo @ Jazz Café - Ja...
- Bill Watson on TV!
- CD Review: Tomoko Omura - Roots
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. D...
- CD Review: Alex Garnett's Bunch of Fives - Androme...
- CD Review: Quadraceratops - Quadraceratops
- A Tea Pad, a Copper Bottom and Ms Lauren Bacall
- ▼ January ( 74 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)