Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Monday, December 15, 2014
DooWop (and more) Spoken Here!
The show covered many aspects of her career but, for me, this is THE Track (not sung on the show) - Am I Blue?
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- R.I.P. Al Belletto
- New York or Newcastle there's a NYE Party for you!...
- CDs of 2014
- Book (s) of the Year
- CD Review: Hansu-Tori - An Improvised Escape.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie - Dec....
- Big Band Sunday
- Brassy B Brave Baltically Brass Conditions @ Monum...
- The Boneshakers’ Fourth Annual Boxing Day Blues Pa...
- Buddy De Franco (Feb. 17, 1923 - Dec. 24, 2014)
- CD Review: Woven Entity
- So how did you spend Xmas Day?
- Whiplash Update
- Requiem by the River - Jazz Esquires @ The Porthol...
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie - Dec. 23
- Esquires say "Goodbye Porthole, Hello Maggie Bank
- RIP Joe Cocker (May 20, 1944 - Dec. 22, 2014)
- Harlem Hot Stompers @ Boston Spa - Dec. 20
- Roly Veitch-Jeremy McMurray Quartet with Steve And...
- Send us your Favourite Things of 2014
- Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jazz Radio All the Way...
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ Black Swan - Newcastle...
- Mark Williams/Paul Susans @ Jazz Café - Dec. 20
- Alter Ego @ The Globe - Dec. 19
- CD Review: Vance Thompson's Five Plus Six - Such ...
- Preview - Len (not Benny!) Goodman's Big Band Bona...
- CD Review: Jakob Dinesen - Yasmin
- CD Review: Ruth Lambert Trio – Three
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Jazz Café. December 17
- Tenth Anniversary Bash @ Sage Gateshead. Dec. 17
- Jamming @ The Jazz Café - Dec. 16
- Tonight! Ruth Lambert CD Launch
- CD Review: Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden/Paul Motian...
- Snowmen from Prague visit the Bell & Bucket. Decem...
- Jazz gigs at the Globe in January and February 201...
- Durham Alumni Take on the Yorkshire Suite. Dec. 14...
- Choose your Gig of the Year
- DooWop (and more) Spoken Here!
- This Sunday at Blaydon.
- Hello 2015 - New Year’s Eve Party at the Jazz Café...
- Splinter Jam Session @ The Bridge. Dec. 14.
- Digital Review: Big Chief - Blues in Twos
- Jeremy Platt Jazz Soul Moment @ The Globe Dec. 13
- Groovin' @ The Globe Tonight
- Radio Russell: A Duke, a Doctor, a Surrealist and ...
- Brother Strut @ Hoochie Coochie. Dec. 12
- Situation Vacant: Jazz Services Recruiting For New...
- The Big Chris Barber Band @ Sage Gateshead. Decemb...
- CD Review: Michael Mantler – The Jazz Composer's O...
- New Years Eve @ The Cherry Tree
- Jazz London Radio Calling...
- EP Review: Circus FM
- Porter Quartet @ Lit & Phil. Dec. 8
- Shiver @ Splinter - Dec. 7
- CD Review: Roller Trio – Fracture
- The Barber of Sage Gateshead
- Budtones: Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: December 6
- Keith Stephen’s Hot Club Trio w. Caroline Irwin – ...
- Matt Anderson & Jiannis Pavlidis @ The Jazz Café. ...
- CD Review: Jim Rattigan/Thomas Gould/Liam Noble - ...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. December 5
- First there was the Titanic...
- Matt Anderson & Paul Edis @ The Lit & Phil. Decemb...
- Cozyjo’s Cozy Christmas Concert @ Washington Arts ...
- Alex Garnett's Bunch of 5 - Andromeda
- Bebop Spoken Here’s Faves Score in Downbeat Poll
- CD Review: Darrell Katz and the Jazz Composers All...
- Samuel Eagles Quartet @ The Globe - Dec. 3
- CD Review: Samuel Eagles Quartet - Next Beginning ...
- Jazz Café Jam - Dec 2.
- CD Review: Fini Bearman - Porgy and Bess.
- CD Review: Maurizio Minardi - Piano Ambulance.
- Leash: Splinter @ the Bridge Hotel. Nov. 30
- ▼ December ( 75 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)