Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Saturday April 29
Rick Laughlin Trio, Abbie Finn Quartet ao - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052. 1:00-5:00pm. Free (donations).
Dave O’Higgins with Durham Alumni Big Band - Majestic Theatre, Bondgate, Darlington DL3 7JT. Support set by Durham County Youth Big Band (7:15pm). £12.00. (+ concs).
Late night jam session - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052.10:30pm. Free.
Ruby Turner - Alnwick Playhouse. 7:30pm. £21.00. & £20.00.
Fever & Friends - Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields NE333 3NG. 7:30pm. £12.00. 0191 454234.
Bradley Johnston (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Choose your Gig of the Year
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- R.I.P. Al Belletto
- New York or Newcastle there's a NYE Party for you!...
- CDs of 2014
- Book (s) of the Year
- CD Review: Hansu-Tori - An Improvised Escape.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie - Dec....
- Big Band Sunday
- Brassy B Brave Baltically Brass Conditions @ Monum...
- The Boneshakers’ Fourth Annual Boxing Day Blues Pa...
- Buddy De Franco (Feb. 17, 1923 - Dec. 24, 2014)
- CD Review: Woven Entity
- So how did you spend Xmas Day?
- Whiplash Update
- Requiem by the River - Jazz Esquires @ The Porthol...
- King Bee @ Hoochie Coochie - Dec. 23
- Esquires say "Goodbye Porthole, Hello Maggie Bank
- RIP Joe Cocker (May 20, 1944 - Dec. 22, 2014)
- Harlem Hot Stompers @ Boston Spa - Dec. 20
- Roly Veitch-Jeremy McMurray Quartet with Steve And...
- Send us your Favourite Things of 2014
- Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jazz Radio All the Way...
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ Black Swan - Newcastle...
- Mark Williams/Paul Susans @ Jazz Café - Dec. 20
- Alter Ego @ The Globe - Dec. 19
- CD Review: Vance Thompson's Five Plus Six - Such ...
- Preview - Len (not Benny!) Goodman's Big Band Bona...
- CD Review: Jakob Dinesen - Yasmin
- CD Review: Ruth Lambert Trio – Three
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Jazz Café. December 17
- Tenth Anniversary Bash @ Sage Gateshead. Dec. 17
- Jamming @ The Jazz Café - Dec. 16
- Tonight! Ruth Lambert CD Launch
- CD Review: Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden/Paul Motian...
- Snowmen from Prague visit the Bell & Bucket. Decem...
- Jazz gigs at the Globe in January and February 201...
- Durham Alumni Take on the Yorkshire Suite. Dec. 14...
- Choose your Gig of the Year
- DooWop (and more) Spoken Here!
- This Sunday at Blaydon.
- Hello 2015 - New Year’s Eve Party at the Jazz Café...
- Splinter Jam Session @ The Bridge. Dec. 14.
- Digital Review: Big Chief - Blues in Twos
- Jeremy Platt Jazz Soul Moment @ The Globe Dec. 13
- Groovin' @ The Globe Tonight
- Radio Russell: A Duke, a Doctor, a Surrealist and ...
- Brother Strut @ Hoochie Coochie. Dec. 12
- Situation Vacant: Jazz Services Recruiting For New...
- The Big Chris Barber Band @ Sage Gateshead. Decemb...
- CD Review: Michael Mantler – The Jazz Composer's O...
- New Years Eve @ The Cherry Tree
- Jazz London Radio Calling...
- EP Review: Circus FM
- Porter Quartet @ Lit & Phil. Dec. 8
- Shiver @ Splinter - Dec. 7
- CD Review: Roller Trio – Fracture
- The Barber of Sage Gateshead
- Budtones: Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: December 6
- Keith Stephen’s Hot Club Trio w. Caroline Irwin – ...
- Matt Anderson & Jiannis Pavlidis @ The Jazz Café. ...
- CD Review: Jim Rattigan/Thomas Gould/Liam Noble - ...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. December 5
- First there was the Titanic...
- Matt Anderson & Paul Edis @ The Lit & Phil. Decemb...
- Cozyjo’s Cozy Christmas Concert @ Washington Arts ...
- Alex Garnett's Bunch of 5 - Andromeda
- Bebop Spoken Here’s Faves Score in Downbeat Poll
- CD Review: Darrell Katz and the Jazz Composers All...
- Samuel Eagles Quartet @ The Globe - Dec. 3
- CD Review: Samuel Eagles Quartet - Next Beginning ...
- Jazz Café Jam - Dec 2.
- CD Review: Fini Bearman - Porgy and Bess.
- CD Review: Maurizio Minardi - Piano Ambulance.
- Leash: Splinter @ the Bridge Hotel. Nov. 30
- ▼ December ( 75 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)