Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Thursday April 27
Saturday, November 15, 2014
Big Bands Are Like Buses
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Diachronix at the Jazz Cafe, November 29
- CD Review: Nils Landgren: Christmas With My Friend...
- Christmas Music at Cherry Tree
- CD Review: Jennie Marie Hammond & The Quiet Band -...
- SSBB/Jamie Toms @ The Millstone November 27
- Big Sid Catlett Reigns @ King’s Hall, Newcastle Un...
- Dominic J Marshall Trio @ King’s Hall, Newcastle U...
- GATESHEAD INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES 20...
- Radio Russell: Paul Tips His Hat to Jack
- Preview: "Big Sid Catlett Reigns" @ King’s Hall. N...
- Julie Sassoon (solo piano) + Travelers @ Jazz Café...
- I've Got Those Didn't Get to LJF Blues
- More Plaudits for Bebop Spoken Here
- Vinyl Review: Nucleus with Leon Thomas – Live 1970...
- New Hartlepool gig.
- CD Review: Ken Thomson and Slow/Fast - Settle.
- Jazz North East & Splinter @ the Bridge present Se...
- Vasilis Xenopoulos w. Paul Edis Trio & Black Bull ...
- Globe Bar Prices
- Election Time - Vote Now!
- Jazz Coop At The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz: Saturday ...
- DVD Review: Fred Hersch - My Coma Dreams
- Things Ain't What They Used to Be!
- Vasilis Xenopoulos with the Paul Edis Trio @ Opus ...
- More from Durham University Big Band
- Jazz UK to cease publication immediately.
- John Wilson Orchestra - Cole Porter in Hollywood. ...
- Benn Clatworthy Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle.
- Abdullah Ibrahim - Solo Piano Recital @ Sage Gates...
- THE 2014 BRITISH JAZZ AWARDS: THE RESULTS
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café - November 18.
- Scots recreate two classics – with strings attache...
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Fenwicks, Newcastle
- RIP Buddy Catlett.
- Pete Churchill Workshop @ Durham on Nov. 27
- Jason Isaacs @ Bonbar, Newcastle. November 16.
- CD Review: Jeremy Platt Jazz Soul Moment - Sometim...
- Jazz Latin Groove @ The Globe 15/11/14
- Ruth Lambert & Dean Stockdale @ The Jazz Café. Nov...
- Roy Willis in Hong Kong - The Truth!
- Friday Gigs to have 8pm start on Fridays from Dece...
- Big Bands Are Like Buses
- Hebrides Ensemble: Dead Elvis @ Sage Gateshead. No...
- Kate Daniels Quartet @ Lit & Phil - November 14.
- Steward banjoed at Jazz Party!
- Herbert ‘Herbie’ Sargent : 8 January 1934 – 9 Nove...
- No Coochie @ Hoochie tonight.
- Mike Durham's Classic Jazz Party News
- Fumi Okiji’s Old Time Jazz Band Northern Tour Date...
- The Quartet Grew Smaller + Improv Jam @ Jazz Café
- CD Review: Hank Marvin - Django's Castle.
- Some LJF Gigs.
- Jazz Co-op Workshop Featuring the Samuel Eagles Qu...
- Be Quick, Quigley at Sage Gateshead!
- Preview: Kate Daniels Quartet @ Lit & Phil Friday ...
- The Geordie Boys
- Coming soon to Blaydon...
- Pannonica @ The Bridge Hotel. November 9
- Am Jam @ The Globe. November 9
- No Chilli This Wednesday
- CD Review: Leo Appleyard – Pembroke Road
- CD Review: Simon Purcell – Red Circle
- Jack Bruce Tribute.
- RIP Manitas de Plata
- The Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ Ashington Jazz Club. Nov....
- Havana Club 5 @ Empty Shop, Durham. Nov. 6
- From the Village Hotel to the London Jazz Festival...
- Classic Jazz Party - Day 3
- Jazz Party - Day 2 [Afternoon] Report. Nov. 8
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. November 7
- Today [Saturday] @ The Classic Jazz Party
- Richard Pite - Boisdale Interview.
- Jazz Party - Afternoon.
- Paul Edis @ The Lit & Phil. November 7
- Today @ Classic Jazz Party
- Josh Lane @ King’s Hall Newcastle Uni. November 6
- The Shoeshop Quartet @ King’s Hall Newcastle Uni. ...
- The Jazz Repertory Company and the EFG London Jazz...
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café or Drummers Anonymous
- Don't miss Jason Isaacs - in London or in Newcastl...
- WEA Jazz Courses: We need YOU!
- Bluebut @ The Bridge. November 2
- CD Review: Clark Tracey Quintet - Meantime
- Zoe Gilby @ Hoochie Coochie November 2.
- James Harrison, Ian Simpson and Friends at The Jaz...
- CD Review: Euan Burton - Too Much Love
- RIP Acker Bilk
- Clark Tracey Drum Workshop - The Globe, Newcastle....
- Clark Tracey Quintet @ The Globe, Newcastle, Novem...
- RIP David Redfern
- Barber for Sage Gateshead
- Nigel Price Trio @ Ushaw College, October 31
- Philip Clouts Quartet - Jazz Café. October 31
- ▼ November ( 93 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)