Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
CD Review:Miguel Zenón - Identities Are Interchangeable.
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Mike Durham's Classic Jazz Party
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band - Open Rehearsal October...
- Gregory Porter/Nina Ferro @ Sage Gateshead October...
- CD Review: Delfeayo Marsalis - The Last Southern G...
- Jazz Musicians Thinking Allowed
- Preview: Abdullah Ibrahim @ Sage Gateshead
- Paragon @ Jazz Café October 28.
- CD Review: Steve Heckman Quintet - Search For Peac...
- CD Reviews - Like Topsy...
- CD Review: New Century Ragtime Orchestra - "Singin...
- Soznak @ The Globe – October 25
- Ronnie Scott’s celebrates 55th anniversary with li...
- WEA Jazz Courses Start On Thursday – A Reminder
- Samadhi @ The Bridge Hotel. October 26
- Jam Session @ The Globe.
- Hey Hepcats! Tune to Radio 4
- Memories of Jack Bruce
- Guitar Gurus - Steve Glendinning & Mark Williams @...
- RIP Jack Bruce
- CD Review: No Fast Food – In Concert
- Ray Harris & The Fusion Experience @ Hoochie Cooch...
- RIP Vic Ash.
- DIACHRONICX @ The Jazz Café
- Fireworks @ The Elephant.
- CD Review: Cat Conner – Cat House
- Mike Durham's Classic Jazz Party 2014 Program
- Preview: Nucleus With Leon Thomas -: Live 1970
- CD Review: Candi Staton - Life Happens
- CD Review:Miguel Zenón - Identities Are Interchan...
- Super Band Show at Bonbar Featuring Jason Isaacs.
- Jazz North East & Splinter @ the Bridge present: E...
- CD Review: Max Luthert - Orbital.
- Keith Stephen's Hot Club Trio w. Caroline Irwin @ ...
- CD Review: Allison Au Quartet - The Sky Was Pale B...
- Clouts’ poetic jazz heads north by degree
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Gala Theatre, Durham, Mr Hipste...
- CD Review: Count Basie - Original Album Series
- Beats & Pieces saxophonist Sam Healey wins Interna...
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie. October 16
- CD Review: Ezra Weiss Sextet - Before You Know It....
- Jam Session @ Ned's
- Improvisation Workshop: Jazz Cafe: October 14
- James Harrison Trio with Caroline Bagley @ Cherry ...
- British Jazz Awards 2014
- CD Review - Frank Kimbrough Quartet.
- This Coming Sunday @ Blaydon
- CD Review: Gypsies of Bohemia - GYP POP
- CD Review: Paragon – Cerca
- Shatner’s Bassoon @ The Bridge Hotel. October 12
- Am Jam @ The Globe. October 12
- RIP Brian Lemon?
- Blue Jazz Quintet @ The Globe. Oct 11.
- CD Review: Eyeshutight – Resonance
- Jazz and Poetry
- Gypsies of Bohemia @ Jazz Café - October 11
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. October 10
- Book Review: Bebop Babies - Edward Allan Faine & K...
- The WEA and all that Jazz
- New CD/ From NCRO.
- When You've Gotta Go You've Gotta Go Man Go!
- The DB Jazz Project - Bridge Hotel October 9
- CD Review: Jochen Rueckert - We Make the rules
- Mick Cantwell Holds Court @ Henry’s Swing Club. Oc...
- Kanani Quartet Royal Albert Hall Café. October 4...
- Cherry Tree Update
- Jazz Café Jam Session October 7.
- Haste/ Kinsella/Noble/Batchelor @ Newcastle Univer...
- Dean Stockdale Quartet @ The Lit & Phil. October 6...
- The DB Jazz Project. Dave Keighley and Ben Grant's...
- Blue-Eyed Hawk @ the Bridge Hotel. October 5
- Jazz Co-op: Grand Launch of Upstairs Performance A...
- CD Review: Mark Elf Returns 2014
- Paul Gowland & Peter Gilligan @ The Jazz Café. Oct...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Ashington Jazz Club. O...
- Shiver 3 @ Central Bar, Gateshead. Oct. 2.
- Raise a Glass to Miles, Joe & Ma Rainey’s Black Bo...
- Yes Mo Blues - Mo Scott Blues Band @ Jazz Café Oct...
- RIP George Roberts
- Hoochie Coochie wins "Best Live Music Venue - Nort...
- Jamie Lawson @ King’s Hall. October 2
- Djangologie @ King’s Hall. October 2
- CD Review: Ana Velinova: The Thief
- More on Ralph Sutton @ The Corner House
- Edis Gig Cancelled at Horsley!
- It All Depends on Who! Ralph Sutton at Corner Hous...
- RIP Sheila Tracy
- Lulo Reinhardt @ Sage Gateshead. September 30
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole, North Shields.
- Lana Trio @ Jazz Café. Sept. 30
- Mini Review of Lulo Reinhardt Concert @ Sage Gates...
- Sheila Tracy
- ▼ October ( 92 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)