Bebop Spoken There
John Tynan: "Go ahead, call me reactionary. I happen to object to the musical nonsense being peddled in the name of jazz by John Coltrane and his acolyte Eric Dolphy." - (Downbeat November 22, 1961).
McCoy Tyner: "If anyone want to know how the three of us - Elvin, Jimmy and me - felt about John [Coltrane], listen to the music and you can hear the love and respect we had for each other. The music can really speak more than any of us." - (Melody Maker, August 19, 1967).
Today Tuesday April 25
Thursday, August 21, 2014
CD Review: Solitary Moon - Ginger Berglund & Scott Whitfield Sing the Johnny Mandel Songbook
Remember Jackie & Roy - Jackie Cain & Roy Kral - who provided the bop vocals in Charlie Ventura's Bop For The People band and who, later on, recorded many albums under their own name? Of course you do and so do I. They were a class act.
Well, in the form of Ginger Berglund and Scott Whitfield, they ride again and in good company (see list of featured soloists below). Add the music of Johnny Mandel, lyrics by such as Dave Frishberg and Alan and Marilyn Bergman and arrangements by Whitfield, who also cooks up some tasty trombone solos, and you have the recipe for a very satisfying album.
An album of great songs that haven't been done to death - in fact many of them I was hearing for the first time. Admittedly The Shadow of Your Smile doesn't come into the first timers' list except maybe it does as I can't previously recall hearing the verse.
Solitary Moon will be on the car stereo tomorrow so be warned. If you see a black Chevrolet being driven erratically it will be because I'm tapping my feet on the pedals in time to the music.
Solitary Moon - Ginger Berglund & Scott Whitfield Sing the Johnny Mandel Songbook is available now on Bi-Coastal Music.
Check out sound samples here.
Ginger Berglund (voice), Scott Whitfield (voice/tmb/arr); Featuring Steve Huffsteter (tpt);, Pete Christlieb (ten); Airto Moreira (perc); Roger Neumann (ten/bar/bs clt); Corey Allen (pno); Don Shelton, Ken Peplowski (clts); Jennifer Leitham (bs); Jack Petersen (dms); Carl Saunders (tpt); Kendall Kay (dms); Anne King (tpt); Rusty Higgins (alt/fl), The Modernaires, and LAVA (vcls).
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- CD Review: Kelley Suttenfield and Tony Romano - Am...
- Jazz Education Program to start at the Globe
- CD Review: Jacob Karlzon 3 - Shine
- Salute Adolphe with Stobart, Brass Jaw and more
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Millstone. August ...
- Jazz In The Afternoon; Tynemouth Metro Station : T...
- Willie Payne remembered
- CD Review: Manu Katché - Touchstone for Manu
- RIP Richard Attenborough
- The Savannah Jazz Band @ The Customs House, South ...
- Edinburgh venue The Outhouse wins a Herald Angel a...
- It's a Trad Day Today!
- Hurry! Book now for Woodlawn
- CD Review: Nancy Kelly - B That Way.
- Play Jazz Workshop @ Sage Gateshead
- CD Review: Larry Fuller.
- Customs House Jazz
- The 4 Bs – Bacall, Barber, Brecon & Bremen
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie August 22
- CD Review: Blue-Eyed Hawk – Under the Moon
- Tonight at Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Solitary Moon - Ginger Berglund & Scott...
- CD Review: Andy Milne and Dapp Theory – Forward in...
- Preview - Chapel Allerton Festival, Leeds.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Black Bull, Blaydon. August 1...
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party Update
- A Celebration of Chris Hodgkins’ 29 years as Direc...
- Tonight at 7 on BBC 4 TV.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Tyne Bar Newcastle...
- Zoe Gilby Trio @ The Jazz Café. August 15
- R.I.P. Frankie Dunlop.
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie August 14
- Bet on a Weekend Double with the Tees Valley Jazzm...
- Barry Manilow & All That Radio Jazz
- Hoochie Coochie Birthday
- RIP Lauren Bacall
- CD Review: Scottish National Jazz Orchestra featur...
- This Sunday at Blaydon Jazz Club
- And Everybody Stayed - Paul Skerritt Band @ The Ch...
- CD Review: Matthieu Marthouret Bounce Trio - Small...
- Gary Copley on Radio York/Leeds
- Gregory Porter Live @ Newport Jazz Festival.
- The Paul Skerritt Band @ Ashington Jazz Club Augus...
- RIP Kenny Drew Jr.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café August 8
- The Mark Williams Trio @ The Cherry Tree, August 4...
- CD Review: Grand Fatilla - Global Shuffle
- [To Stan Getz] "Isn't the saxophone the easiest in...
- Fusion collective Fat-Suit hit the road in Europe
- Co-op's Dividends (Musically speaking)
- CD Review: Topology & Trichotomy - Healthy.
- CD Review: Minimal Klezmer - OY OIOI
- Jazz Café Jam. August 5.
- CD Review: Dave Kain - Raising Kain.
- Jazz Co-op News.
- Joshua Redman @ Jazz en la Costa, Almunecar, Spain...
- Sant Andreu Jazz Band Reign in Spain
- Iceni @ Cumberland Arms. August 3
- Zoe Gilby and Mark Williams : Jazz Cafe: Saturday ...
- Next Week at the Spanish City Plaza
- RIP Lol Wells.
- Alan Glen Trio @ Jazz Café August 1
- Zane Lowe's Hottest Record of the Week (Radio 2)
- RIP Idris Muhammad.
- Sits Vac.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Millstone. July 31...
- ▼ August ( 67 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)