Bebop Spoken There
Ernie Wilkins: “If you don't look at the liner notes, you don't know who in the hell it is. Everybody sounds alike, that same million-note approach. Faceless.” – (Crescendo November 1975).
Ben Williams: “A lot of jazz today has developed this allergy to simplicity. ‘If it’s simple, that means it’s not hip’ is a theme. But sometimes the simplest thing you can do is the hippest thing you can do.” – (Down Beat August 2015).
Today Wednesday March 22
Thursday, August 14, 2014
Barry Manilow & All That Radio Jazz
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- CD Review: Kelley Suttenfield and Tony Romano - Am...
- Jazz Education Program to start at the Globe
- CD Review: Jacob Karlzon 3 - Shine
- Salute Adolphe with Stobart, Brass Jaw and more
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Millstone. August ...
- Jazz In The Afternoon; Tynemouth Metro Station : T...
- Willie Payne remembered
- CD Review: Manu Katché - Touchstone for Manu
- RIP Richard Attenborough
- The Savannah Jazz Band @ The Customs House, South ...
- Edinburgh venue The Outhouse wins a Herald Angel a...
- It's a Trad Day Today!
- Hurry! Book now for Woodlawn
- CD Review: Nancy Kelly - B That Way.
- Play Jazz Workshop @ Sage Gateshead
- CD Review: Larry Fuller.
- Customs House Jazz
- The 4 Bs – Bacall, Barber, Brecon & Bremen
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie August 22
- CD Review: Blue-Eyed Hawk – Under the Moon
- Tonight at Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Solitary Moon - Ginger Berglund & Scott...
- CD Review: Andy Milne and Dapp Theory – Forward in...
- Preview - Chapel Allerton Festival, Leeds.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Black Bull, Blaydon. August 1...
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party Update
- A Celebration of Chris Hodgkins’ 29 years as Direc...
- Tonight at 7 on BBC 4 TV.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Tyne Bar Newcastle...
- Zoe Gilby Trio @ The Jazz Café. August 15
- R.I.P. Frankie Dunlop.
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie August 14
- Bet on a Weekend Double with the Tees Valley Jazzm...
- Barry Manilow & All That Radio Jazz
- Hoochie Coochie Birthday
- RIP Lauren Bacall
- CD Review: Scottish National Jazz Orchestra featur...
- This Sunday at Blaydon Jazz Club
- And Everybody Stayed - Paul Skerritt Band @ The Ch...
- CD Review: Matthieu Marthouret Bounce Trio - Small...
- Gary Copley on Radio York/Leeds
- Gregory Porter Live @ Newport Jazz Festival.
- The Paul Skerritt Band @ Ashington Jazz Club Augus...
- RIP Kenny Drew Jr.
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café August 8
- The Mark Williams Trio @ The Cherry Tree, August 4...
- CD Review: Grand Fatilla - Global Shuffle
- [To Stan Getz] "Isn't the saxophone the easiest in...
- Fusion collective Fat-Suit hit the road in Europe
- Co-op's Dividends (Musically speaking)
- CD Review: Topology & Trichotomy - Healthy.
- CD Review: Minimal Klezmer - OY OIOI
- Jazz Café Jam. August 5.
- CD Review: Dave Kain - Raising Kain.
- Jazz Co-op News.
- Joshua Redman @ Jazz en la Costa, Almunecar, Spain...
- Sant Andreu Jazz Band Reign in Spain
- Iceni @ Cumberland Arms. August 3
- Zoe Gilby and Mark Williams : Jazz Cafe: Saturday ...
- Next Week at the Spanish City Plaza
- RIP Lol Wells.
- Alan Glen Trio @ Jazz Café August 1
- Zane Lowe's Hottest Record of the Week (Radio 2)
- RIP Idris Muhammad.
- Sits Vac.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ The Millstone. July 31...
- ▼ August ( 67 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)