Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Sunday April 30
Sunday, June 15, 2014
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- CD Review: Dylan Howe – Subterranean New Designs o...
- Ryan Quigley signs to Whirlwind Recordings
- Redemption @ Bridge Hotel (Splinter). June 28.
- Great Percussion in Newcastle!
- Leash @ The Jazz Café. June 28
- CD Review: Jacob Young - Forever Young
- And the band played on @ The Jazz Café. June 27
- Dean Stockdale/Mick Shoulder Duo @ Jazz Café June ...
- Tonight at the Jazz Café
- Lonnie Liston Smith @ Hoochie Coochie June 26
- Something for fans to think about
- Tonight! Lonnie Liston Smith @ Hoochie June 26
- CD Review: Kristian Borring - Urban Novel.
- RIP Stuart McKie.
- Zöe Gilby talks to Keith Tulip of Redemption.
- Gaity Band
- Mike Walker & Stuart McCallum // Paul Taylor @ The...
- CD Review: Dino Saluzzi Group - El Valle de la Inf...
- CD Review:Wolfgang Muthspiel - Driftwood
- Jazz 'n Real Ale Train Update
- CD Review: Karen Mantler - Business is Bad.
- Down Beat Critics Poll
- Book Review: Off Key by Mark Robertson.
- RIP Gerry Goffin
- The Allsorts Band @ The Bridge Hotel. June 22
- British Legion Gigs cancelled.
- British Sea Power, BBC Big Band and Jo Hamilton ge...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie June 2...
- CD Review: Northern Monkey Brass Band – High on Li...
- CD Review: Fred Hersch Trio – Floating.
- Jazz Co-op Receives Parliamentary Approval!
- Ruth Lambert sings the Great North Songbook @ The...
- A Sun Ra Solstice
- The Kings of Swing @ Sage Gateshead June 20.
- Jazz in York
- Horns a Plenty Today
- Jazz Record Requests Pays Tribute to the late Hora...
- Rest In Peace Horace Silver
- Take a Musical Journey With Sage Gateshead This Su...
- CD Review: John A. Lewis - One Trip Out
- Awards for Cumming and Carthy
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café. June 17.
- Roly Goes "Underground."
- MP SHOWS SUPPORT FOR CO-OPERATIVES FORTNIGHT AT TH...
- Brass: Durham International Festival July 11-20
- Debra Milne's Summer Latin Jazz @ Hoochie Coochie ...
- CD Review: Paper Birds - Rallidae
- CD Review: Beat Funktion - Voodooland.
- World Cup Woe
- Remembering Keith Crombie
- Slowlight Quartet @ Lit & Phil June 13.
- CD Review: Danny Freyer - Must be Love
- EP Review: Patricia Morris: Between New Year And V...
- Jazz Café News
- RIP Jimmy Scott.
- Book Review: Laurie Pepper - ART: Why I Stuck with...
- Jazz North Introduces - scheme for young jazz musi...
- Debra Milne Summer Jazz Groove. This Sunday June 1...
- CD Review: Space Flight – Sci-Fi
- Glasgow Jazz Festival Update
- CD Review: Adam Schroeder - "Let's".
- Greetings from Manhattan!
- RIP Phil Mason
- Hot Club du Blaydon on Sunday.
- CD Review: Keith Jarrett & Charlie Haden - Last Da...
- Beck Hunters @ The Bridge Hotel June 8
- Gregory Porter to Play Sage Gateshead in October!
- Ann Hampton Callaway - Swing! - Blues in the Night...
- Newcastle Community Green Festival Day 2 - June 8....
- CD Review: Tom Chang - Tongue and Groove.
- Alex Hutton, Andy Champion & David Carnegie @ The ...
- CD Review: The Lindsay Hannon Plus – The Spy (Take...
- Gavin Lee's Dixieland Band @ Ashington Jazz Club J...
- Peter Gilligan & Friends @ The British Legion, Wes...
- Johnny Deps in Crook - Paul Edis Sextet @ St. Cuth...
- Urgent Warning For Jazzers! - Folk Music Alert
- Jazz North East and Splinter Hit the Jackpot
- Mercedes Menz in Top Gear @ ICMuS Preview. June 5
- Phil Robson Organ Trio @ The Lit and Phil, Newcast...
- Durham University Big Band Gig Preview
- Bloozeburn @ the Ouseburn @ The Tyne Bar. June 4
- CD Review: Jeff Colella & Putter Smith - Lotus Blo...
- CD Review: Matthew Halsall & the Gondwana Orchestr...
- Henry’s Swing Club @ The Brandling Villa, South Go...
- Jazz Café Jam June 3.
- Paul Edis CD gets 4 stars in Jazz Journal
- CD Review: Nick Malcolm Quartet - Beyond These Voi...
- CD Review: Rich Halley 4 - The Wisdom of Rocks.
- Zoe Gilby & Andy Champion // Paul Edis @ The Bridg...
- New Jazz Club on Teesside!
- The Jazzman Film - more material sought...
- Peter Gilligan & Friends @ Hoochie Coochie
- Sounds for Sunday.
- ▼ June ( 93 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)