(Review by Lance).
Bebop Spoken There
Miles Kington: "If the intake of alcohol fails to improve a jazz player's performance, why do jazz listeners think it improves their appreciation?" - (Jazz Express October 1982).
Barbara Jay: "My first gig was at the Astoria, Charing Cross Rd. It seemed like a den of iniquity to me. All the Soho girls were there and the gigolos with their old women paying them to dance..." - (Jazz UK May 2008.)
Today Monday February 27
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Joe Stilgoe - Songs on Film - Sage Gateshead May 14.
(Review by Lance).
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators @ Hoochie...
- Some good and bad news from the New Century Ragtim...
- CD Review: Alice Zawadzki – China Lane.
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ The Millstone. May 29
- RIP Herb Jeffries
- Big Band Rehearsal in Hebburn
- CD Review: Rik Wright’s Fundamental Forces – Blue
- Charlotte Glasson Group @ The Jazz Café. May 28
- Cécile McLorin Salvant Video.
- In The Round With Phronesis @ Sage Gateshead May 2...
- Cécile Mclorin Salvant live web stream from Ronnie...
- Musivate Predicts the Ukulele Could Transform the ...
- CD Review: Tim Garland - Songs to the North Sky
- Jazz 'n Real Ale Train: Hexham-Carlisle-Hexham.
- Bell & Bucket New Orleans Jazz Festival. May 26
- Whitley Bay Carnival. May 26
- The Slowlight Quartet with the Slowlight Strings @...
- Djangologie @ The Cherry Tree
- Five Blind Boys of Alabama/North East Gospel Choir...
- Vinyl Review: Dexter Gordon - Soy Califa
- Preview: Five Blind Boys of Alabama @ Sage Gateshe...
- New Book on Saxophone Harmonics
- King Bee Launch CD @ Hoochie Coochie. May 23
- Francois Carrier Trio @ Recital Rooms, Newcastle U...
- The Slowlight Quartet: EP Launch @ The Star and Sh...
- EP Review The Slowlight Quartet In Flight
- Sonny Rollins - The Way You Look Tonight.
- CD Review: Tessa Souter - Beyond the Blue.
- Something for everyone at Newcastle Jazz and Blues...
- Global Endeavour
- Times They Are a Changin' - Chris Hodgkins Steps D...
- Johanna Graham Quartet CD Launch @ Pizza Express, ...
- Films and Live Music at the Side Cinema.
- Colin Aitchison and Franco Valussi July dates
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café May 20.
- BBC Jazz Generations
- Lyric from Gordon Phillips.
- Throwback Jazz
- ACV @ Bridge Hotel May 18.
- Chaka Khan & Incognito @ Hoochie Coochie May 17.
- The Late Shows: Lawnmowers Theatre Company - The G...
- CD Review: Greg Spero - Electric.
- CD Review: Kekko Fornarelli Trio - Outrush.
- Brazilian Music Educators Return to North East for...
- Roger Beaujolais Quartet/Greg Spero @ The Recital ...
- Adam Stapleford – Drum Kit. Final Recital @ New Mu...
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie. May 15.
- CD Review JC Sanford Orchestra Views From the Insi...
- Joe Stilgoe - Songs on Film - Sage Gateshead May 1...
- CD Review: Jeremy Fox - With Love
- 2014 Parliamentary Jazz Awards in full:
- Jazz Café June Listings
- CD Review: Lee Konitz; Dan Tepfer; Michael Janisch...
- Greg Spero Radio Interview
- Jazz @ Blaydon - James Birkett - Bradley Johnston ...
- Chaka Khan @ Hoochie May 17 - tickets NOW GONE!
- The Globe - One Giant Step(s) for Jazzkind.
- Paul Skerritt Band @ the Cherry Tree May 12
- Preview: Joe Stilgoe: Songs on Film. Celebrating 1...
- CD Review: Felipe Salles - Ugandan Suite
- More Deaths
- Snarky Puppy @ Sage Gateshead. May 11
- Greg Spero Quartet @ Bridge Hotel May 11
- ACV @ Darlington Jazz Festival Sunday April 27.
- Alan Glen Trio @ Salsa Café, Newcastle - May 10.
- French Jazz Night @ The Jazz Café. May 10
- Jason Isaacs Big Band "Swing Sensations" - City Ha...
- Very Sad News - Ron Pollard.
- R.I.P. Joe Wilder
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. May 9
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Launch @ Globe Hotel May 9
- Triptych @ The Lit & Phil. May 9
- Katherine Stone Quartet w. Paul Gowland @ Ashingto...
- CD Review and Launch.The Lindsay Hannon Plus - The...
- The Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ The Lit and Phil
- Sad News.
- A rare chance to experience the world class acoust...
- Jazz Café Jam - May 6.
- Preview: Snarky Puppy to storm Sage Gateshead
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats Crescent Club....
- Tobin on Tour
- Greg Spero May Dates.
- Firebird Quartet @ The Bridge. May 4
- Jeff Barnhart @ Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club M...
- CD Reviews The Virtuoso Jazz Trio Summer & Autumn
- PG Allstars @ Salsa, May 3
- Dave Douglas and Uri Caine @ Leeds Assembly Rooms ...
- CD Review:Mike McKoy - Ludwig Manhattan's Germaica...
- A Fine Way to Treat a Steinway!
- Greg Spero - coming to a venue near you!
- Cheltenham and more on BBC Radio
- CD Review: Holly Hofmann - LOW LIFE The Alto Flute...
- School Reunion, Shelly Manne & Bireli Lagrene.
- Global Jazz
- Zoe Gilby Interviews Ian Chalk
- CD Review: Bobby Avey - Authority Melts From Me.
- ▼ May ( 96 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)