5. The winner will be decided by us, our decision will be final.
Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Saturday April 29
Rick Laughlin Trio, Abbie Finn Quartet ao - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052. 1:00-5:00pm. Free (donations).
Dave O’Higgins with Durham Alumni Big Band - Majestic Theatre, Bondgate, Darlington DL3 7JT. Support set by Durham County Youth Big Band (7:15pm). £12.00. (+ concs).
Late night jam session - Quakerhouse, Mechanics’ Yard, Darlington DL3 7QF. 01325 245052.10:30pm. Free.
Ruby Turner - Alnwick Playhouse. 7:30pm. £21.00. & £20.00.
Fever & Friends - Customs House, Mill Dam, South Shields NE333 3NG. 7:30pm. £12.00. 0191 454234.
Bradley Johnston (solo guitar) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Thursday, April 17, 2014
5. The winner will be decided by us, our decision will be final.
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Bingley Music Live 2014
- Michelson Morley @ The Jazz Café. April 29
- Culture Magazine & Hannabiell/ Esquires are Going ...
- The Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry Tree. April 28.
- CD Review: Pierrick Pédron – Kubic’s Cure
- Lonnie Liston Smith for Hoochie!
- Jason Isaacs - Singles, Spandau Ballet & travellin...
- More from The Real Group
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Sunday Evening Part Two ...
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Sunday Evening Part One ...
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Sunday Afternoon Interlu...
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Sunday Afternoon Part Tw...
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Sunday Afternoon Part On...
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Sunday Morning April 27
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Saturday Evening April 2...
- Darlington Jazz Festival. Saturday Afternoon April...
- Blaydon Update.
- CD Review: Vasilis Xenopoulos - The Wind Machine.
- Splinter Jam Session - Bridge Hotel
- Pass Me The Jazz
- Ballads and Blues @ The Jazz Café - April 25.
- CD Review: Michael Feinberg's “HUMBLEBRAG” Live a...
- “TIMEO DANAOS ET DONA FERENTES”? Vasilis Xenopoulo...
- 35th Montreal Jazz Festival June 26 - July 6
- SAGE GATESHEAD LEADERSHIP TO CHANGE
- CD Review Taupe
- Brassy B - Massive Waxa EP Launch - Cluny May 1. 7...
- Vasilis Xenopoulos - The Wind Machine @ Bridge Hot...
- TONIGHT! Vasilis Xenopoulos Wind Machine @ Bridge ...
- Ashington Jazz Club Preview
- CD Review: Great Voices of Harlem - Gregory Porter...
- Pining For Courtney...
- The Jazz Machine @ The Victoria, Whitley Bay. Apri...
- EVERYONE DESERVES MUSIC AT SAGE GATESHEAD
- Hurry on down to The Vic - new jazz venue. Show yo...
- I'll Join the Legion That's What I'll do!
- Jazz in the Afternoon @ Cullercoats Crescent Club....
- Alter Ego @ Blaydon Jazz Club. April 20
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Cherry Tree. April 21.
- Bombay Jazz Radio 4 - 4pm.
- Peter Gilligan Quintet The Music of Horace Silver ...
- Jazz at the Fighting Cocks, Middleton St George = ...
- CD Review: Jeremy Wilms - Diamond People.
- Peter Gilligan interviewed by Zoe Gilby
- Burandanga @ Hoochie Coochie April 18.
- Book Review: Bathed in Lightning: John McLaughlin,...
- CD Review: Yolanda Duke - Te Llevo Bajo La Piel
- Art Pepper
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie. April 17
- CD Review Led Bib The People in Your Neighbourhood...
- COMPETITION TIME!!!
- Fred Wesley @ Ned Kelly's
- Chaka Khan @ Hoochie next month!
- CD Review: Nancy Goudinaki - I Wanna Be Your Star
- R.I.P. Jimmy McDowell
- Jazz Café Jam Session - April 15
- JJA Awards 2014
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op at The Globe is going ahead!
- Britain's Greatest Ever Jazz Musician?
- Mitch Laddie Band @ The Tyne Bar. April 13
- Preview Darlington Jazz Festival April 24 – 27
- This Sunday (April 20) @ Blaydon.
- Krysztof Urbanski - The Urban Jazz Society @ Bridg...
- CD Review: Colin Vallon Trio - Le Vent
- Mick Shoulder Website.
- CD Review: Leslie Pintchik - In the Nature of Thin...
- Jazz Café May Program.
- Jazz Record Requests - BBC Radio 3 today 5pm.
- If you happen to be out Tokyo way...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. April 11 (second s...
- Paul Edis Trio - Jazz Café April 11
- Blood Count - Radio 4
- Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ The Lit & Phil. April 11
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie. April 10.
- GIJF Day Three:Double Bill - Bill Frisell’s Beauti...
- Lindsay Hannon and Guests @ The Cherry Tree April ...
- The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra directed by T...
- CD Review: Pete McGuinness Jazz Orchestra - Streng...
- Jazz Times 2013 Expanded Critics’ Poll
- Percy Bush Orchestra/Females Brawling in London Ni...
- GIJF Day Two: AN AFTERTHOUGHT (I HAVE SEEN THE FUT...
- GIJF Day One - Robert Glasper Experiment.
- CD Review: Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra - The L...
- Sheila Giles Photos added to archives.
- Radio 4 Rounds off GIJF!
- GIJF Day Three: The Waal; Hannabiell & Midnight Bl...
- GIJF Day Three: Fragments Of Splinter With Wilson ...
- GIJF – Day Two: Andrew McCormack & Jason Yarde wit...
- Vieux Carré Play the Blues When it Rains!
- GIJF Photos on Sage Gateshead Website
- A poignant moment from this year's GIJF
- GIJF Day Two: Recorded music from the Concourse an...
- GIJF - After thoughts
- GIJF Day Three - Polar Bear.
- GIJF – Day Three - Shiver
- GIJF: Day Three: Youth Jazz Afternoon: Stretch Tri...
- GIJF – Day Two Late Night Club @ the Jazz Café
- Identify the players.
- Correction to North East Jazz Gigs Flyer at Sage G...
- GIJF Day Three. In the Spirit of Duke - Jacqui Dan...
- ▼ April ( 118 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)