PS: Next one tonight! (8pm.)
Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Tuesday May 23
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Playtime in Edinburgh
PS: Next one tonight! (8pm.)
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- CD Review: Brother Strut - The First Strut is the ...
- Alex Baker Quartet @ The Forum, Darlington. March ...
- Havana Club 5 - Splinter @ The Bridge
- Double LP Review: Nat Birchell Quintet - Live in L...
- Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club - Change of Band....
- CD Review: Donna Singer and The Doug Richards Trio...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Jazz Café. March 29 (second s...
- Places still available for Play Jazz! workshop at ...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Jazz Café
- Ron Carter Trio @ Blue Note Jazz Club Milan. March...
- Info Required on Tommy Hines
- EVERYONE DESERVES MUSIC AT SAGE GATESHEAD
- A Lighter Shade of Pink
- CD Review: Basin Street Brawlers - It's Tight Like...
- Tyne Valley Big Band & Tyne Valley Youth Big Band ...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone. March 27
- CD Review: Sara Serpa & Andre Matos - Primavera
- Playtime in Edinburgh
- CD Review: Matt Newton Trio - Within Reach
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Crescent Club. March 26
- GIJF News.
- Trio Riot @ Schmazz at the Jazz Café. March 25
- R.I.P. Malcolm Gray
- Jazz @ Nairn to Return
- CD Review: Vijay Iyer - Mutations
- Ray Stubbs All-Stars @ The Schooner, Gateshead Mar...
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op extending its community share...
- Preview: Sage Gateshead International Jazz Festiva...
- CD Review: Tommy Smith & Brian Kellock - Whisperin...
- Alan Glen @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond.
- A Strictly Combustible Evening. March 23
- CD Review: Paul Higgs - Pavane
- Jam Session @ Salsa. March 23.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Jazz Café. March 22
- Gregory Porter on Andrew Marr Show this morning.
- Oxford Gargoyles in Hong Kong
- Song Lyric Course
- Empty Shop HQ Update
- Stu Collingwood Trio @ The Jazz Café. March 21
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone. March 20
- Customs House Big Band @ (wait for it) The Customs...
- Mo Scott, Paul Edis & Neil Harland @ The Gala Thea...
- Taupe @ King’s Hall. March 20
- Ned Kelly's coming to London
- The Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie March 20
- Jazz Café Update
- CD Review: Yvonnick Prene - Wonderful World
- Thursday Night @ Hoochie - Looks Good.
- Gavin Lee’s Dixieland Band @ The New Inn, Durham. ...
- Erlend Skomsvoll to form top young JM Jazz World O...
- R.I.P. Al Harewood.
- Calling All Jazz Promoters
- Jazz Café Jam Session Number 4. March 18.
- CD Review: Lena Bloch - Feathery.
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op on BBC Look North
- Nic Svarc Trio @ The Bridge Hotel. March 16
- Salsa Cafe Jazz Jam: Sunday March 16
- RIP Iola Brubeck and Med Flory
- Paul Gowland’s Allstars @ The Jazz Café March 15...
- Thursdays Are The New Fridays
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Salsa Café March 15
- Gregory Porter Goes to School in Houghton Le Sprin...
- Gregory Porter @ Hoochie Coochie March 14.
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Lit & Phil. March 14
- Celebrating Roy @ The Bridge Hotel. March 11
- CD Review: Trio Riot Trio Riot
- RIP Terry Willits.
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie March 13.
- Tori Freestone Trio – Splinter at the Bridge March...
- Greg Spero and his Amazing Chicago Jazz Quartet - ...
- Zoe Gilby Trio - Jazz Café Saturday Feb 8.
- CD Review: Dominic J. Marshall Trio - Spirit Speec...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Chillingham. March 5
- R.I.P. Joe Mudele
- Customs House Big Band Open Rehearsal/Concert @ Th...
- Lest We Forget ....
- Gala Theatre Lunchtime Update
- CD Reviews:The Lalama Brothers - Erie Ave.
- EP Review: Nicky Schrire - To The Spring.
- CD Review: Jason Rebello – Anything But Look.
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival (Day 3) @ North...
- Blaydon Bulletin
- Trombone players wanted.
- Triptych @ The Cherry Tree, Jesmond
- Tori Freestone Trio @ Bridge Hotel. March 9..
- Lit and Phil Latest
- Tonight @ The Cherry Tree - Triptych (Paul Edis pi...
- Sunday Salsa Jam.
- Mark Nightingale and the Al Wood 9 as headline art...
- Alexander Bone Announced as BBC Young Jazz Musicia...
- CD Review: Libby York - Memoirs
- Brian Carrick and the Heritage Hall Stompers @ As...
- Jason Rebello @ Hoochie Coochie March 7.
- Improved Anti-piracy Technology Announced
- Clarinet player wanted.
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Share Update - 50% sold, 2 we...
- CD Review: Emilia Mårtensson - Ana
- New Sunniside Venue for Maine Street Jazzmen.
- CD Review: Pigfoot - 21st Century Acid Trad.
- ▼ March ( 111 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)