Bebop Spoken There
Dee Barton: "The reason for my staying with the sticks [drums as opposed to trombone] is that I've always wanted to be in the driving seat. If I'm going anywhere, I like to do the driving." - (Down Beat April 18 1968).
Roberto Fonseca: ”In my first group, I played drums. It was a Beatles group. I was Ringo!” - (Down Beat October 2013).
Today Saturday August 30.
Thursday, February 28, 2013
(Review by Lance).
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
The Headhunters descend on Under The Bridge for their only UK date in 2013 25th April 2013, 7PM Under the Bridge, Stamford Bridge, Fulham Road, London, SW6 1HS
Featuring Emma Fisk on violin and Mick Shoulder on double bass. Now joined by guitarist James Birkett (a long time favourite at the Elephant) and Giles Strong on second guitar. This band is much in demand for their own material as well as their gypsy repertoire. Expect a night of swinging gypsy jazz paying tribute to the legendary Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli.
The concert starts at 8:30 and admission is £5
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Monday, February 25, 2013
Sunday, February 24, 2013
I'll be honest, I was still on a high from last night's Courtney gig and the transition from 220 heaving bodies to a small number of semi-immobile bods took some adjustment. However, once this adjustment was made, the music was fine. Great arrangements and original compositions. Nice to hear Russ Henderson again and Katie plays drums as good as she looks. The other guys did the biz but the 27 bus was on the horizon and, after spinning a double headed coin, I left for the bus.
Saturday, February 23, 2013
(Review by Lance)
Was this or wasn't this a night to remember?
(Review by Steve Horowitz)
Friday, February 22, 2013
Saxophone Massive Your Chance to Join in One of the Largest Saxophone Performances at The Sage Gateshead
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
(Review by Lance).
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Monday, February 18, 2013
(Review by Lance)
Sunday, February 17, 2013
(Review by Steve)
27/2/13 Lindsay Hannon Plus
13/3/13 Grace Ellen Quartet
20/3/13 Don Forbes Safe Sextet
27/3/13 Gabriele mit Drei ?
3/4/13 Stevie Glendinning Trio
17/4/13 Lickety Split
24/4/13 Kath Stone Quartet.
Admission is free and music begins 8:45pm.
More will be revealed as the details unfold.
Saturday, February 16, 2013
(Review by Lance.)
(Review by Lance.)
Friday, February 15, 2013
Blackpool Gazette Tribute.
Thursday, February 14, 2013
I'm just an old sentimentalist...
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Composer/Producer/Conductor Ryan Truesdell's Groundbreaking Project CENTENNIAL: Newly Discovered Works of Gil Evans Wins Best Instrumental Arrangement GRAMMY Award for the Late Gil Evans
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
PS: thanks for all the kind messages - and as a footnote which I forgot to add last night, the Classic Jazz Party 2013 will be going ahead as planned - Dad wants it this way and it will be a fitting memorial to him that everyone makes it the brilliant weekend that it has been each year before.
Monday, February 11, 2013
(Review by Peter S.)
Jazz returned to the Elephant after what has been a long winter. Our members returned in numbers to welcome the Katherine Stone Quartet on a first visit to A.J.C..
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Read the poem, it captures the feeling of Manhattan perfectly although perhaps not the current snow storms.
Then check out the website and hear the slim lady sing.
Saturday, February 09, 2013
Friday, February 08, 2013
Zoe Gilby (vcl); Andy Champion (bs); Mark Williams (gtr).
(Review by Lance.)
Thursday, February 07, 2013
- ► 2014 ( 703 )
- CD Review: In The Country – Sunrise Sunset
- Simon Spillett Quartet @ The Corner House
- Jazz Caf Refugees @ The Star.
- The Headhunters descend on Under The Bridge for th...
- ASHINGTON JAZZ CLUB AT THE ELEPHANT, Newbiggin Roa...
- Stop Press!
- Graeme Wilson Quartet @ The Cluny. February 26
- Music Shop Memories
- Keith or Cody* Jarrett
- JNE Update
- VERSE & JAZZ for International Women’s Day
- Interview with Anne DeVere
- Northern Spirits – Jazz Festival celebrates North ...
- Katie Patterson’s Allsorts @ Splinter @The Bridge ...
- Katie Patterson Allsorts @ Splinter @ The Bridge
- Friday on BBC4: Sings the Great American Songbook...
- Courtney Pine at Hoochie Coochie.
- Coldest Night of the Winter but...
- CD Review: Tomasz Stanko New York Quartet - Wislaw...
- Tonight on BBC 4
- Saxophone Massive Your Chance to Join in One of th...
- Paul James Band @ Hoochie Coochie
- Darlington Jazz Festival
- Jazz North/Northern Line info for Promos
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole
- It's Going to be Chilli Tomorrow - on Chilli road....
- Vote for Hoochie Coochie if you like music.
- Sue Ferris Quartet @ The Cherry Tree
- Robert Mitchell & Corey Mwamba @ Lit & Phil. Febru...
- Bobby Wishart International Quintet @ The Jazz Bar...
- Sunday 24 February.- It's 'Swing Sunday' at Picass...
- Claire Kelly Trio @ The Bridge Sunday February 17....
- CD Review: Vo-Duo - Nou La
- Blaydon Jazz Update
- Stars at the Star.
- CD Review: Martin Wheatley - All Day Breakfast.
- Hula Bluebirds @ Customs House, South Shields Frid...
- CD Review - Charles Lloyd/Jason Moran: Hagar’s Son...
- Andy Champion Interview.
- The Beat Goes on in Eric's Memory.
- Daryl Sherman's Valentine Faves.
- Isn't it Romantic?
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Latest.
- Miles Ahead and Birth of the Cool with SNJO.
- Billie Holiday - P.S. I Love You
- Composer/Producer/Conductor Ryan Truesdell's Groun...
- Tonight @ The Lit and Phil
- CD Review: Mac Gollehon - La Fama
- Poignant Message...
- Djangologie @ The Cherry Tree
- Katherine Stone Quartet @ Ashington Jazz Club. Feb...
- Jo Wallfisch in NY.
- CD Review: Soren Gemmer - at first
- Street Corner Blues Win North East Battle of the B...
- CD Review: Joe Lovano UsFive - Cross Culture.
- John Harvey Mystery
- Change of address for LondonJazz.
- Alister Spence Quartet + Watts and Weston @ Lit & ...
- James Harrison
- Donald Byrd's Death a Mystery
- Zoe Gilby Trio @ The Lit and Phil
- Collective @ Hoochie Coochie, February 7 - Second ...
- James Birkett and Bradley Johnston @ Queen's Hall ...
- Collective @ Hoochie Coochie February 7 - First Se...
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Latest (on Facebook.)
- Customs House Big Band Open Rehearsal @ New Crown ...
- Tasty Tailgate at The Millstone
- Paul Tanner dies aged 95.
- February Informer now on the streets.
- Jazz Services - is Online booking for you?
- The Collective
- Another one bites the dust
- R.I.P. Pat Halcox
- Jazz North East Update
- Dancing on the Edge.
- CD Review: Aruan Ortiz/Michael Janisch Quintet - B...
- R.I.P. Mac Smith
- Jean-Luc Ponty - Original Album Series
- Jazz Festival News.
- Dancing on the Edge Tonight at 9 - BBC 2
- Nick Svarc Trio @ The Bridge, Newcastle
- New Century Ragtime Orchestra at Caedmon Hall Feb....
- CD Review: Daniel Lantz Trio Plays Bond.
- Jazz UK No. 109
- Ray Chester's Funeral
- January Jazz Jam @ Hoochie Coochie. January 31.
- CD Review: The Ken Hatfield Sextet - For Langston
- CD Review: Lisa Forkish - Bridges.
- ▼ February ( 89 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.