Bebop Spoken There
“You know, I was hearing all these marvelous guitar players. Tal Farlow was a good friend, Jimmy Raney, Wes Montgomery. Finally I realized, if I practice every second for the rest of my life I’ll never be able to do that.” - Jim Hall (Jazz Times April 2009)
TODAY SUNDAY MAY 26
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Rest in Peace.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
(Review by Lance).
(Review by Lance.)
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The photo of Sarah Vaughan (above) was from the work of the legendary Toronto Photographer the late George Hoeffler. Hoeffler left behind some stunning, pre-digital, work which is available in poster form from Blue Sun Images. Check them out.
Monday, January 28, 2013
(Photo by Kaveh Emami)
Sunday, January 27, 2013
(Review by Ray.)
Saturday, January 26, 2013
(Review by Lance).
(Review by JC.)
Friday, January 25, 2013
PS: I came across this report from 2002 of Ray's success in the BBC's Big Band Competition.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Nobody accepts that you've gone "Up There" or, more likely, "Down below". Lance.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
John Waugh: Tenor
Paul Edis: Piano
Liam Fender: Keys
Ian Patterson: Bass
Dave Lourie: Kit.
(Review by Lance).
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
(Report by Lance.)
The death was reported in the Shields Gazette last night of Vince Bovill. Vince was born in South Shields but graduated via local palais bands to London where he joined the Vic Lewis Orchestra in 1949 playing second tenor alongside another South Shields saxophonist, Kathy Stobart.
Monday, January 21, 2013
Alan Law (piano), John Pope (double bass) and Jeff Armstrong (drums) are a perfectly balanced trio - they all lead and accompany. And they can all play stupendously fast and clever phrases, but only when the music requires it. Not a show off in sight.
It was an honour to sing for them that night. Jay came up to us after the set and told me that I had sung his song exactly as he hoped it would be sung. I was completely overwhelmed and knocked out. It was one of the most magical moments of my life, to sing this exquisite song to the person who had given it life. We kept in touch until Jay died in 2001. He used to love to send me little notes by fax and I've kept them all. That night and that friendship are among the most special memories of my life. What a magnificent songwriter and person! Ten years later, I recorded NEVER LET ME GO by Jay Livingston/Ray Evans.
Sunday, January 20, 2013
In 1973 after working with Miles Davis and being a founding member of John McLaughlin’s Mahavishnu Orchestra Cobham formed his own Jazz Rock Funk Fusion band. This budget box series covers the five albums recorded between 1973 and 1975 and is a real treat for anyone who is either an aficionado of this genre or a drumoholic like myself.
Saturday, January 19, 2013
Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra
Hsq+2 (Hillary Step saxophone Quartet)
Iain Dixon/Mike Walker Quintet
Jamil Sheriff Trio
Engine Room Favourites
Full details here.
Friday, January 18, 2013
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Monday, January 14, 2013
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Thank you Seb.
Saturday, January 12, 2013
Hello everyone, and welcome to a New Year of traditional jazz! This coming weekend offers a chance to hear trumpeter Digby Fairweather in two different musical settings. Digby is of course well-known as a bandleader, broadcaster, author and seven-times winner of the prestigious UK Jazz Awards trumpet poll.
Initially influenced by Louis Armstrong, he switched from trumpet to cornet and gradually evolved his own distinctive style incorporating Louis' fire with the melodic sophistication of giants such as Bix Beiderbecke, Wild Bill Davidson, Bobby Hackett and the late Ruby Braff, playing with a mellow tone and supreme technical facility. He also supplies wryly humourous commentary between tunes.
Friday, January 11, 2013
Thursday, January 10, 2013
It had been a good evening and we left to the strains of Get Happy (with an altered lyric)
Kav was on hand to take photos.
Wednesday, January 09, 2013
Tuesday, January 08, 2013
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.
- Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- R.I.P. Patty Andrews
- Walter Smith III @ The Sage
- Keith's Café @ Newcastle University Jan. 29.
- Zoe Gilby @ The Cask, Scarborough. Jan 23.
- Zoe and Andy off to Finland
- CD Review: The Jive Aces - King of the Swingers.
- Jazz Photographers Past and Present.
- Tomorrow's Uni gig directions.
- Ray Chester Funeral Details
- CD Review: Wave Mechanics Union: Further To Fly
- Ex-Extreme @ Splinter @ The Bridge.
- Greg Spero to Return to UK.
- Alan Barnes and John Hallam @ Boston Spa Jan. 26.
- CD Review: Fact Finding Mission Trichotomy
- CD Review: Wayne Shorter - Without a Net.
- The Jive Aces @ The Customs House, South Shields. ...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherrytree, January 21
- Farewell Ray Chester
- Stuart Davies and New Standard @ Hoochie
- Crombie's New Café
- Take it to the Bridge @ The Chillingham. January 2...
- North East heat of the New Brunswick Battle of the...
- Thursday's Millstone Menu includes ...
- Keith's Café @ University Arts dept.
- Mike Papapavlou: Interim Guitar Recital, Newcastle...
- Hoochie Coochie this Thursday
- CD Review: Pamela Hines - 3.2.1.
- A couple of Schmazz/Jazz North East gigs next week...
- Death of a Duke...
- Southport Jazz Festival set to return for a 13th y...
- R.I.P. Vince Bovill
- "Live Music Now" Recruiting Jazz Musicians in Nort...
- Gort @ Hexham Jazz Club. January 17
- Debra Milne Ensemble @ The Bridge Hotel. January 2...
- The Curse of the Banjo and Other Stories
- Stacey Kent meets Jay Livingston
- Radio York Swings
- CD Review: Billy Cobham - Warner's Original Album ...
- Crombie Video by Duncan Davis.
- Digby Fairweather with the Swing City Trio @ Trini...
- The Road to Spaghetti Junction.
- Nick Malcolm Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel. January 1...
- Jazz North Announce Northern Line Ambassadors.
- CD Review: HULLABALOO – DAVE MANINGTON’S RIFF RAFF...
- CD Review: Michael Franks - Original Album Series
- Jazz Café Co-op Update
- CD Review: The Summarily Dismissed: To Each!
- Tonight Jazz North East presents NICK MALCOLM QUAR...
- VCJ in the Saddle
- RIP Jim Godbolt
- CD Review: Pamela York - Lay Down This World: Hymn...
- Reviewers Wanted
- Real book Site
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op
- CD Review: Chris McNulty - The Song That Sings You...
- Evening Chronicle Tribute to KC
- THE BIG SCORE! --JAZZ IN THE MOVIES !
- Farewell My Lovely/ The Long Goodbye Part 2.
- Londonjazz Pays Tribute to Keith Crombie
- Keith Crombie Funeral Arrangements for Tomorrow (M...
- R.I.P. George Gruntz.
- Two Chances to Dig Digby Next Week.
- RIP Claude Nobs.
- Debra Milne Ensemble @ Hoochie Coochie
- CD Review: Asuka Kakitani - BLOOM.
- Locks Changed at Jazz Café
- Residential Jazz Weekend
- CD Review: So Many Reasons Gerry Richardson’s Big ...
- Vote Now!
- Sadly from Wally Nash
- Mike Carr's Blue Note Band Re-visited.
- There Will Never Be Another Keith
- 10th Anniversary Concerts The Tommy Smith Youth J...
- The Long Goodbye Part One.
- Keith Crombie feature in Sunday Sun today.
- What I Did in the New Year Holidays by Ann Alex
- Best Books.
- Improvisation course in Gateshead.
- CD Review: Dan Phillips BKK Trio + Jakob Dineson -...
- Sunday at the Jazz Café.
- Funeral arrangements finalised.
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone, South Gosfort...
- In Tonight's Chronicle.
- And still the tributes come...
- Sunday's Tribute to Keith
- Crombie's Funeral
- Brian Bennett requests the pleasure of your compan...
- Debra Milne launches new website.
- Bill Harper on Keith Crombie
- Gone With The Wind
- ▼ January ( 93 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.