Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Buddy Rich: "I'm very tired of sixteen year old kids who think they know all about electronics and tell you how to play. They don't tell me how to play, because I tell 'em what they can do!" - (Crescendo March 1982).

Kermit Ruffins: “I’ll make 50 this year, and I don’t want to record nothing that’s real hot because when I get older I’m not gonna be able to play it.” – (Jazz Times October 2014).

Bebop Spoken There Archives.

Today Friday October 24.

Afternoon.
RENDEZVOUS JAZZ - Black Horse, Monkseaton. 1pm. Free.
Classic jazz.
-----
Evening.
EYESHUTIGHT - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 8pm. £5 (£3 before 8.30pm.)
Contemporary Leeds based trio
-----
RAY HARRIS -Hoochie Coochie 54 Pilgrim St., Newcastle NE1 6SF. 8pm. Free. Popular funk/soul singer.
-----
ELKIE BROOKS - Middlesbrough Town Hall. £23.50. 8pm.
They don't come any better than Elkie.
-----
NEW CENTURY RAGTIME ORCHESTRA - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7.30pm. 0191 2853429. £5.
Get there early - it's a big band in a small room!

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Jo Wallfisch in NY.

I first met Jo Wallfisch on one of my occasional London trips at, of course, The Spice where she was singing. Jo's now moved to New York and, seemingly, rapidly becoming a Native New Yorker - as I did on my visit and I was only there for ten days!

Read the poem, it  captures the feeling of Manhattan perfectly although perhaps not the current snow storms.
Then check out the website and hear the slim lady sing.
Lance.

New York Week

This is the beginning of a New York Week,
My guitar, and ukulele, and a song I'm soon to speak.
Words flow like water as I ride the subway home,
I tell you, New York, has a time frame of its own.
I moved across the ocean from a place that I called home
In search of an adventure, to dive into the unknown
Quickly I discovered the passion in its eyes
Though New York is just a city, it’s a lover in disguise.
You’ll never know a stranger till you’re locked in his embrace.
You’ll never know how rain feels till it tumbles from your face.
You’ll never know you’re dreaming cause this city never sleeps,
And if you think of leaving, New York has your heart for keeps.
Everyday is different, every minute, every hour
So keep your eyes wide open and your heart a blooming flower,
Fearful things may happen, so embrace the darker days,
It’s my muse and it’s my madness, yeah I’m caught in New York’s gaze!
Oh, this is the beginning of a New York week,
And this, my introduction, and my memoir, so to speak,
Be bold and be courageous
Sing your dreams out loud,
Never lose yourself… but go get lost inside that crowd.
© Jo Wallfisch.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
PS:I don't care what your political views are - you can love or hate Cameron, Clegg, Milliband, Farage, Genghis Khan or Julius Caesar - just don't air them here!
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Posting a Comment

Posting a comment.

1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).

2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.

3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).

4) Click on Publish your comment..

5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.

Alternatively, email me - lanceliddle@gmail.com.

Subscribe!