Bebop Spoken There
“Pure bluegrass music is very akin to jazz in that you really don't play the same tune the same way twice. There's a little improvisation there" - Cal Collins (Jazz Journal June 1996).
Jazz North East Crowd Funding Appeal.
Thursday December 12
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 1:00pm. 0191 2853429. FREE.
New Orleans in nice pub with 4 real ales, good food and a banjo!
THE TEES HOT CLUB - Dormans, Oxford Rd., Linthorpe, Middlesborough, TS5 5DT. 01642 823813.
Gypsy jazz with guests.
MAINE STREET JAZZMEN - Marquis of Granby, Streetgate, Sunniside, NE16 5ES (on A692) 0191 4880954. Free. 8:45pm.
Good time Dixieland.
STRICTLY SMOKIN' BIG BAND - The Millstone, Haddricks Mill Rd., South Gosforth, NE3 1QL. 7pm. Free.
Powerhouse big band - good music and good beer. Back January 30.
Sunday Dec 15 Blaydon Jazz Club
Christmas Concert - including our usual DIY buffet (please bring along an item of food to add to the feast)
One of the North's finest straight ahead jazz pianists, Teesside's Jeremy McMurray, joins with Blaydon's own Roly Veitch on guitar, Neil Harland bass and Adam Sinclair drums and brilliant Charlie Parker inspired altoist Mark Toomey for an evening of songbook repertoire. We usually finish at 10.30 but as there will probably be a longer break for the buffet it will probably finish a bit later on Sunday - about 10.45 or thereabouts.
Thursday, November 15, 2012
The Collective @ Hoochie.
- ► 2013 ( 1041 )
- CD Review: Dice Factory.
- Jam Session @ Hoochie Thursday November 29.
- Jazz in Amsterdam Part 2 (of 3)
- Jazz in Amsterdam - part 1 (of 3).
- RIP Mickey Baker.
- Don't Miss Saturday Night @ Hoochie Coochie!
- RIP Stan Greig
- Lord Puttnam Announces Lord Falconer as New Chairm...
- CD Review: Paul Baxter Quartet - Monuments
- (Preview) Doctor (Contemporary) Jazz prescribes tr...
- Sonsale @ The Bridge Hotel.
- The Jazz Age.
- More Charlie Smith and north east jazz memorabilia...
- Tom Gibbs Quartet/Sonsale @ The Bridge
- Jessica Needs Help.
- The BSH Awards
- The Week Ahead
- Today's Jazz Record Requests
- Kings of Cool Monday Nov. 26 Radio 2 @ 10pm.
- Matt Schofield Trio + Sam Hare @ The Cluny. Novemb...
- The Good Die Young. RIP Austin Peralta
- CD Review: Modern Jazz Quartet - Original Album Se...
- The Worthy Member for Downtown Chester-le-Street ....
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone.
- Lauren Kinsella, Mark Sanders & Will Edmondes @ Ki...
- Courtney Pine's album voted Jazz Record of the Yea...
- 7.30PM SUNDAY 25TH NOVEMBER SONSALE + TOM GIBBS QU...
- Jack DeJohnette Group/Polar Bear @ The Sage, Gates...
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2013 Announc...
- Courtney Pine booked to appear at Hoochie in New Y...
- CD Review: Joey Stuckey - Mixture.
- Cool For Cats
- R.I.P. Pete La Roca
- More Charlie Smith
- Preview of the DeJohnette gig at The Sage
- CD Review: Hot Club of Cowtown - Rendezvous in Rhy...
- Paul Baxter Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel. November 1...
- Hot Club of Cowtown @ The Sage, Gateshead
- CD Review: Chris Higginbottom – Where Land Ends (F...
- Gavin Lee's New Orleans Jazz Band @ The Trinity Ce...
- CD Review: Nicholl & Farquharson - Della by Moonli...
- A Flute and Nut Case
- Swing City Quartet @ The Customs House, South Shie...
- Kurt Elling & Sheila Jordan @ The Southbank Centre...
- The Collective @ Hoochie.
- Jazz North seeks bands to be touring ambassadors f...
- Heard they crowded the floor to say goodbye to Sta...
- Ferryboat Serenade
- Bebop Speaks!
- Jukebox Mambo
- The Cavendish Club.
- A Date With Daryl
- Charlie Smith remembered.
- The Music of Bill Evans: Paul Edis Trio at the Che...
- Customs House looks good on Friday
- Serious select Andy Champion and Chris Montague as...
- Trio Riot @ The Bridge Hotel. November 11
- CD Review: Masha Campagne Like Water, Like Air
- RIP Bill Kell
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café Sunday November 11
- Sunday Afternoon ...
- CD Review: FADO EM SI BEMOL
- A Voyage of Discovery - Djangologie at St.Cuthbert...
- Remembering the Northumbrian Restaurant and the Br...
- Harry James Band @ Newcastle Odeon Mystery
- Ray Harley Fractures Elbow.
- Lickety Split @ Ashington Jazz Club November 8.
- Breach @ Central Bar, Gateshead. November 8
- Katherine Stone and her Trio – Exchange Café, Quee...
- A touch of Nostalgia
- The Allsorts @ Hoochie Coochie
- Hong Kong Calling
- Message From Mike
- ACT Records 20th Anniversary
- CD Review: Jan Garbarek/Egberto Gismonti/Charlie H...
- Customs House Big Band Open Rehearsal New Crown So...
- Future of Jazz in the North East
- R.I.P. Stan Coates
- CD Review: Ran Blake/Sara Serpa - Aurora
- Ayanna/Kairos 4tet @ The Sage, Gateshead. Tuesday ...
- RIP Ted Curson.
- Jeremy McMurray Ensemble @ The Cherry Tree
- Lee Hall and Sting to Support In Harmony North Eas...
- CD Review: Borders Breach
- CD Review: Landing Ground Laura Jurd
- ACV @ The Bridge. Sunday Nov. 4
- A66 Road Trip Part 2 - Tees Valley Jazzmen/persons...
- A66 Road Trip Part 1 - Frank Brooker's Happy Chapp...
- Tell us about the first time and how it was for yo...
- The Informer
- Cécile McLorin Salvant News.
- CD Review: Neil C. Young Trio - 'El Camino'.
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Blaydon Jazz Club. November 1
- Jazz North East Posters
- Jam Session @ Hoochie Thursday Nov. 1
- John Edwards @ King’s Hall. November 1
- CD Review: The New Mastersounds - Out On The Fault...
- ▼ November ( 98 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.