Bebop Spoken There
Benny Goodman: “...maybe Fletcher [Henderson] isn't the best pianist going, but he knows what we want.” – (Down Beat December 15, 1939).
Sonny Rollins: “I don't feel I'm as great as they think I am.” – (Down Beat November 28, 1956).
Today Monday February 8
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
Another successful gig from this new band. I hesitate to call them promising, because they’ve already fulfilled promises, with even more assurance than at their first gig a couple of months ago. This time they faced the challenge of a noisy audience, especially from the back of the room, but they rose to the challenge well through sheer force of musicianship and the help of a kazoo! Yes, in the fourth song (a Gabi original, Don’t Mess Around With Me) Gabi silenced the crowd at the back with an amazing jazz chorus on kazoo, and they made much less noise after that. I suppose people are so used to hearing music as wallpaper nowadays that they don’t know when to really listen.
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
"Keep the change", I said as I left for the more (less) serious shopping of the day.
Tell you what if this 1998 disc had been released in 2011 it would have been the one. Great players, great songs.
PS: One Morning in May - what a song - Mel Tormé and Matt Monro also handled this one good! My wife tells me that Dave Weisser once sung it for her at Jim's Two Rooms way back when Jim had two rooms!
This, I'm informed from across the Atlantic, will be the last ever...
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
PS: If anyone can add a few names please do.
Monday, December 26, 2011
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Friday, December 23, 2011
Thursday, December 22, 2011
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Andy and Adrian - homegrown talent - were far from outshone and contributed on an equal basis with the visitors to make this such a memorable evening. Imagine if they'd had a rehearsal!
To top this, Stan Tracey at The Sage tomorrow (Monday Dec. 19) is going to have to play like he's never played before and on Thursday, also at The Sage, Christine Tobin too is going to have it all to do. But who knows what yet may happen before the year is over.
Saturday, December 17, 2011
Friday, December 16, 2011
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Kevin Ellington Mingus
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Link to Jazz FM.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Monday, December 12, 2011
Sunday, December 11, 2011
I worked extensively abroad and I occasionally got to jazz gigs and clubs in Spain, Italy and and other places . I once heard a young blonde haired trumpet player in a cafe in Spain, just playing solo, I recall how good the guy was and how influenced he was by ' Miles ' ( bows head ) I believe he was American, to this day I wonder if it was a young Chris Botti, I shall never know .
Saturday, December 10, 2011
Friday, December 09, 2011
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- Happy New Year Folks
- Saturday Night/Sunday Morning @ The Jazz Café
- "Goin' Home" (Earlier) with the Vieux Carré Jazzme...
- Best YouTube 2011 video
- Gabriele Mit Drei Hoochie Coochie Thursday Dec. 29...
- Tom Gilroy.
- R.I.P. Barbara Lea.
- Tonight @ Hoochie
- Our Thoughts are With Dave Savill
- One Morning in December
- Jazz Esquires @ Porthole - Nowt as funny as folk!
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party 2012 Tickets Now Av...
- R.I.P. Sam Rivers
- Have Trombone Will Travel - Tommy Weatherley.
- Gig of the Year - so far.
- How High The Moon?
- Tonight on Radio 3.
- Deirdre Cartwright & Kathy Dyson - All the Things ...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen go AWOL!
- Christmas in Kowlooney
- Congrats Mark Cavendish!
- Christine Tobin - Tapestry Unravelled, The Sage, G...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone
- Christmas Jazz at Rosie Malone's.
- Splinter @ The Bridge - Impressions
- Take it to The Bridge Xmas Party. The Chillingham,...
- Gig of the Year time.
- Lickety Split on The Concourse @ The Sage.
- Tonight Two gigs for a Quid.
- Gig of the Year Update
- Stan Tracey Quartet @ The Sage. Dec.19.
- The Blossoming Kylie
- Tim Garland, Jim Mullen, Andy Champion and Adrian ...
- Etta James - the sad news.
- Tough choices on Sunday and I don't mean beef or (...
- R.I.P. Bob Brookmeyer.
- 30's Jazz
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Hoochie Coochie Dec. 15
- Lickety Split & Take it to the Bridge @ The Chilli...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's
- Mingus on Mingus Update
- Radio Jazz Online
- Highlights Of The Ned Kelly's Christmas Big Band B...
- Lindsay Hannon Plus @ The Cherry Tree
- Tonight @ The Cherry Tree.
- Friday Night is Tony Bennett Night on BBC4.
- ASHINGTON JAZZ CLUB CHRITMAS PARTY NIGHT AT THE EL...
- Info wanted on Teddy Warren and Newcastle's Paramo...
- PG3 @ The Aletaster, Low Fell
- Mine's Santa Baby what's yours?
- Clark Terry undergoes surgery.
- Jazz Child: The Story of Sheila Jordan
- Paul Booth Organ Trio @ The Corner House. December...
- Lindsay Hannon Plus @ Hoochie Coochie
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's and a surpri...
- Xmas Dance for Peace - Cluny 2. Friday Dec. 9
- Le Bon Vivre
- Another Sunday Gig!
- Customs House Big Band. Open Rehearsal New Crown, ...
- Mingus on Mingus Project.
- Customs House Big Band @ The New Crown tonight.
- Music While You Drive
- Live Wire Unplugged @ The Cherry Tree
- Durham University Big Band @ The Bridge
- Long Range Weather Report
- Gabriele Mit Drei @ The Jazz Café
- Seb Pipe's Life Experience @The Bridge Hotel - Sun...
- Get your kicks on Elkie 66! - Elkie Brooks @ The S...
- "i" got it wrong and so did the Daily Mail.
- John Taylor @ St. Chad's College, Durham. Nov.10
- Tonight @ The Sage - Don't miss Elkie!
- Charles Gordon All Stars @ Hoochie Coochie.
- CD Review - Ronnie Ross Quintet.
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's.
- CR Review - PARTIKEL: Cohesion.
- ▼ December ( 75 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.