Bebop Spoken There
“Hank [Mobley], as far as I’ve heard, never played a wrong or corny note.” Eric Alexander (Jazz Times June 2013).
“I don't even remember learning to read music. I could always do it.” - Henry Lowther (Jazzwise July 2011).
June 23 Ray Chester Tribute Concert.
As most of you already know, sadly, Ray passed away in January this year and as a mark of respect and celebration of his music, the band has agreed to perform one final concert with all proceeds going to St Benedict’s Hospice (Monkwearmouth). It is probably, most fitting that this “Tribute Concert” will be at the Customs House, South Shields where Ray has appeared every year since 2007. A memorable and emotional night truly awaits the band’s last captive audience. The event is being recorded and modestly priced copies can be ordered on the night. Tickets available from the Customs House – 0191 4541234 or www.customshouse.co.uk
More info from the Ray Chester website.
TODAY WEDNESDAY JUNE 19
Monday, October 18, 2010
Threeway @ Scarborough Jazz Festival
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.
- ► 2013 ( 532 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- Ned Kelly's
- Darlo Devastated
- Sirkis Comes To Town - The Sage, Hall Two.
- The Halloween Hop
- Friday Night is Dankworth Night
- Not Just Another Poster
- Ayanna Top Banana @ The Apollo.
- Saturday Night @ The Sage
- A Message From Mike Durham
- Meanwhile, Down in The Smoke...
- Ray Chester Big Band @ The Corner House.
- Paul Edis says...
- Rosie Malone's
- Paul Gamblin - the last farewell.
- Kenny Wheeler's 80th Birthday Big Band Concert @ T...
- Kenny Wheeler Preview.
- Ruthie Henshall and The Sound of Hollywood @ The S...
- Update on Paul Gamblin Funeral Arrangements.
- Tonight At The Sage, Gateshead - RUTHIE HENSHALL
- Bobby Carr photo discovered.
- Sarah Ellen Hughes @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant, J...
- Zoe Gilby Splinter @ The Bridge - Take 2.
- Michael Garrick M.B.E
- Zoe Gilby - Splinter @ The Bridge
- Jazz Café Sunday Afternoon
- Here Come The Girls
- The Language of Jazz - The G.S.Wellard Septet
- Tees Valley - gigs coming up next month.
- Paul Gamblin - Tonight's Evening Chronicle.
- Fun-packed Afternoon with Maine Street Jazzmen @ R...
- Omid's Express & Take It to The Bridge @ The Chill...
- Pee Wee Ellis & Gareth Williams at Lanercost Prior...
- Paul Gamblin Funeral Arrangements
- Book Early For Your Christmas Turkey
- R.I.P. Paul Gamblin
- Jo Harrup and Paul Edis Trio Fill the Cherry Tree
- Cherry Tree in Blossom Tonight
- Another masterpiece from Bill Shaw.
- Zoe on Radio Cumbria
- Threeway @ Scarborough Jazz Festival
- HCW @ Splinter @ The Bridge
- Jazz Café Jumps
- Strictly Big Band @ The Sage.
- Ruth Lambert Quintet @ Traveller's Rest, Darlingto...
- Musicon Jazz Festival: 4 - 6 March, 2011
- A Breath of Fresh Air at The Fell with the NEW CEN...
- Chico Hamilton Quintet in BBC 2 Film
- Change of Program this Sunday @ The Bridge Hotel
- Aki Takase & Keith Tippett @ Kings Hall, Newcastle...
- More Discs To Die For.
- Aki Takase Trio
- Dinner Jazz by Bill Shaw
- Just Another Manic Thursday - Rosie's
- Keith Tippett & Aki Takase @ King's Hall, Newcastl...
- Preview - Aki Takase Trio + Mujician
- Duncan Eagles Dares to Fly - Partikel CD Review
- Attention Blues Acts/Bands - UK Competition
- Zoe Gilby Tour Details
- Lewis Watson Quartet @ The Cherry Tree
- Tonight at the Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond
- Just Another Manic Sunday (Jazzwise!)
- Ashington Jazz Club Wednesday October 06. 10. 10
- Chet Baker Lives!
- Keeping Music Live Herb Pomeroy's Way
- Good Duos Come in Threes!
- No Need to be Blue All Day Sunday
- Caro Emerald - Dutch Diva
- More on Cecile McLorin Salvant
- Ruby without 'Jools' is still a Jewel. Ruby Turner...
- Tonight @ The Sage - Ruby Turner.
- Rendezvous Jazz @ The Piper, Cullercoats. October ...
- Cecile Salvant McLorin Scores For gold.
- Customs House Big Band + Ruth Lambert. Open rehear...
- SNIPPETS OF JAZZ ON RADIO 4
- John Warren's Splinter Group - Splinter @ The Brid...
- Alan Barnes, Ken Peplowski Group. Dryfesdale Hotel...
- Angie King/Roy Williams - Somerton House Hotel Loc...
- Alan Barnes/Ken Peplowski Septet - Queen's Hotel L...
- Ladies of Jazz - Lockerbie Academy - Lockerbie Jaz...
- Carol Kidd - Dryfesdale Hotel - Lockerbie Jazz Fes...
- And I thought the weather at Scarborough was bad! ...
- Lockerbie Jazz Festival October 1-3
- RUTH LAMBERT – ‘POPULAR, CLASSY AND DISTINCTIVE JA...
- ▼ October ( 84 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.