Bebop Spoken There
Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)
Today Wednesday April 26
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Tees Valley Jazzmen @ The Acklam Hotel, Middlesbrough.
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant
- Claude Werner Quartet - Splinter @ The Bridge
- Close Enough For Jazz - more or less.
- Hession/Wilkinson/Fell on Radio 3
- Stan Getz
- POEM: The Truth About Art Pepper
- Festival Django in Liberchies May 29 - 30, LIBERCH...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie's (Rosie Malone's, So...
- No One But Me - Melissa Tan (Vocal) & Mario (Piano...
- Time change for Big Band rehearsal
- Poet Keith Armstrong in Prague back again! Thurs...
- Tuesday May 25. Schmazz @ the Cluny JONATHAN BRATO...
- ACV on 3
- A Review of Two Halves: Jo Harrop + Paul Edis Trio...
- Jo Harrop with the Paul Edis Trio @ The Cherry Tre...
- Splinter @ The Bridge - The Geordie Approach & And...
- A Big One Tonight at The Cherry Tree
- An Evening (well ten minutes) with Michael Bublé
- Artie Shaw Centennial Approaches
- Sweetheart of the Airwaves
- Get Well Soon Liz
- Jazz on Radio 3 with much north east interest...
- Yarde & McCormack / Mitchell & Puente @ Gateshead ...
- Jazz is Where You Find It...
- Now this is what I call a deal!
- Spice of Life.
- The Other Way - Lee Konitz @ The Pizza Express.
- Sayonara Swing Journal
- Simon Spillett Quartet @ Kings Head Crouch End.
- Jenni Molly Trio @ Lanercost Priory Saturday May 1...
- Roly Veitch Quartet @ The Cherry Tree
- Sonny Simmons Quartet @ The Bridge - Re-visited.
- Jazz in the Afternoon at Cullercoats by the Sea.
- The Saddest Day - R.I.P. HANK JONES
- Paul Edis Sextet - Splinter @ The Bridge
- More History
- Tyne Valley Stompers @ Saltwell Park. Sunday May 1...
- Review. Shapeshifting - the Tim Richards Trio.
- Jazz Dance in Hong Kong
- Art For Laurie's Sake
- Tees Valley Jazzmen @ The Acklam Hotel, Middlesbro...
- Pelican Post
- Paul Edis Trio @ Blaydon Jazz Club
- A Further Memory of Dave Fox and the Bungalow Jazz...
- KESWICK JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Evan Christopher and Django a la Creole - Trailer
- Re-cycling cassettes
- Fryer-Barnhart International Jazz Band w. Jimmy Ma...
- Bungalow Jazz Club, South Shields. Recalled by Jim...
- News Flash Resignation!
- Paul Edis Preview(s)
- Some Like It Hot - a few girl bands..
- Farewell Lena Horne - died Sunday May 9 age 92.
- Sonny Simmons Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastl...
- Blaydon Update
- Remembering Mary Lou Williams
- Andy Champion's ACV @ Queens Hall, Hexham. Thursda...
- Tango Siempre @ The Sage, Gateshead.
- Paris(ien) sur Tyne @ Gateshead Old Town Hall - Th...
- Bobby Carr Info wanted.
- Polish Jazz Focus @ The Sage (June 2 - June 9.)
- Steyning Jazz Club, Portsmouth
- Everything's coming up Rosie's
- ...nor was last night - The Claude Werner Quartet ...
- Tonight, Tonight, Won't Be just Any Night...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Chilli
- Jazz in Ashington by John Taylor
- Customs House Big Band + Ruth Lambert. Open rehear...
- Nick Page
- Choice Cuts to Come at the Cherry Tree
- Mark Williams Trio w. Gary Turner @ The Cherry Tre...
- More Historic Posters
- Tonight's menu looks appetising at the Cherry Tree...
- Nick Pride & the Pimptones - Splinter @ The Bridge...
- Geoff Hutchinson
- Lullaby of Grainger Street
- Stan Wilde's Wildcats - 1951.
- ▼ May ( 78 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)