Bebop Spoken There
Today Sunday May 24
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Monday, June 29, 2009
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Monday, June 22, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Having been delayed elsewhere I dashed to the Corner House hoping to sample the interval buffet and listen to the second set featuring the guest for the evening clarinetist Don Armstrong. A big disappointment was the lack of a buffet ! A decent alternative was a nourishing pint of Guinness. So, pint in hand, the second set commenced with a rousing rendition of ''Happy Birthday'' by band and audience alike for birthday boy Mr. Armstrong (75 years young today). The jazz resumed with 'Over the Waves', a tune associated with George Lewis and, no doubt, well known to Don Armstrong (solos from Armstrong, Wright and Soulsby). An unexpected hiatus occurred when someone (no names, Mr.Soulsby) dropped a pint glass, shattering glass and spilling its contents all over the dance floor. The miscreant went off in search of brush, dustpan, mop etc. On his return it was suggested that, in clearing up the mess, he had found his true vocation ! Drummer Fred Thompson took a vocal on ''Sweet Sue'' followed by an excellent muted trumpet solo by Peter Wright on ''Sentimental Journey''. Louis' ''Someday You'll Be Sorry'' was another vocal feature for Thompson, with a solo turn from Brian Sibbald as Soulsby switched to alto for this one only during the set. An audience request - '' 'Tain't No Sin to Take Off Your Skin'' - saw Barry Soulsby reading the lyrics sheet with Bennett and Sibbald reading the dots to supply the rhythmic foundation. It was almost time to go but not without a two clarinet stirring of ''Clarinet Marmalade''. It was good to see a better turn-out than of late. A good night.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Friday, June 12, 2009
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Tuesday, June 09, 2009
Monday, June 08, 2009
Sunday, June 07, 2009
Saturday, June 06, 2009
Friday, June 05, 2009
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Monday, June 01, 2009
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- Tina May @ The Green Man, London
- Déjà Vu
- End of a Love Affair - Helen Merrill
- Partisans - Prologue.
- The Mighty Joe Young Band - City Hall 1961
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Blaydon Jazz Club
- More What's New
- Ian Forbes' Photos
- Budvivar Still Groovin' High.
- The Lemondrop Kid.
- River City Jazzmen @ Royal British Legion Club, We...
- What's New?
- R.I.P. Steve Race.
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Corner House
- Live from Detroit - LeeBop. Tribute to Lee Morgan....
- Snippets from Russell.
- A Tale of the Unexpected. Nick Gill's Byzantines @...
- Any One For Tenors? Budvivar @ Northumberland Tenn...
- Maine Street Jazzmen @ Rosie Malone's South Shield...
- Hurry! Hurry! You've got half an hour to get to Mi...
- All's Well That End's Well. Take It To The Bridge ...
- Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole, North Shields
- Zoe Gilby Trio @ The Boardwalk Café - June 12.
- Memories from Mal Maddock
- Fancy a Pizza, Roly?
- R.I.P. Charlie Mariano
- Whisper Not - Benny Golson's @ Ronnies.
- R.I.P. Jack Nimitz
- Second Set Corner House
- DON ARMSTRONG IN TOWN - Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ the ...
- Bill McHenry Quintet Live @ the Village Vanguard
- Bejazzled @ York. What a swell party that was - by...
- 2+2= Infinity. Bridge Hotel, Newcastle.
- R.I.P. HUEY LONG of the Inkspots
- Monk @ Town Hall - the Charles Tolliver Tentet
- Janusz Carmillo w. Jeremy McMurray Quartet @ Blayd...
- Maine Street Jazzmen w. Mike Bird @ Rosie Malone's...
- Alan Glen Trio/Take It To The Bridge/Zoe Gilby
- Happy Birthday Mike Gilby
- Tell It To Me Like It Is
- Latest Blaydon News
- Roger Myerscough w. Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Corner H...
- Summertime in the City.
- Rendezvous Jazz @ The Piper, Cullercoats. June 6.
- Steve Melling-Clark Tracey Septet @ Darlington Art...
- Steve Waterman's Ten Piece Project @ Saltburn Comm...
- Blues For Mister Charlie (Carmichael).
- Tenor Men - a kind of a poem.
- The Pasadena Roof Orchestra - Alnwick Playhouse (M...
- Darlington's The Place to be - Tomorrow Night.
- "You're An Unlucky Guy" - Becky Kilgore not at Nai...
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Ashington Jazz Club
- Evoking a Feeling on a Quiet Night in Heaton.
- Customs House Big Band w. Ruth Lambert @ The New C...
- Humble Beginnings
- Blues In The Night
- Alter Ego @ Queens Hall, Hexham. May 29.
- ▼ June ( 57 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.