Bebop Spoken There
“Most trumpet players really like attention. I mean that they like to play high, they like to play fast…and they're the best dressers, usually.” - Ambrose Akinmusire (Jazzwise April 2011).
“I don't even remember learning to read music. I could always do it.” - Henry Lowther (Jazzwise July 2011).
June 23 Ray Chester Tribute Concert.
As most of you already know, sadly, Ray passed away in January this year and as a mark of respect and celebration of his music, the band has agreed to perform one final concert with all proceeds going to St Benedict’s Hospice (Monkwearmouth). It is probably, most fitting that this “Tribute Concert” will be at the Customs House, South Shields where Ray has appeared every year since 2007. A memorable and emotional night truly awaits the band’s last captive audience. The event is being recorded and modestly priced copies can be ordered on the night. Tickets available from the Customs House – 0191 4541234 or www.customshouse.co.uk
More info from the Ray Chester website.
TODAY WEDNESDAY JUNE 19
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Monday, January 12, 2009
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Friday, January 09, 2009
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Monday, January 05, 2009
Sunday, January 04, 2009
Saturday, January 03, 2009
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.
- ► 2013 ( 532 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- Felled again!
- The Wisdom of Warne (Marsh)
- Dave O'Higgins with the Noel Dennis Quartet - Repo...
- Big Apple Jazz Tours
- Yaron Herman Trio & Tom Cawley's 'Curios'. The Sag...
- Marlena Shaw - The Sage - Jan 28. Report by Jim Mc...
- South Shields Customs
- Mobley's Motto
- Budvivar Take it to The Bridge
- Gateshead Jazz Society Lives
- Ed Bickert by Roly
- Lush Life - Sarah Vaughan & Ella Fitzgerald from H...
- Gareth Roberts Quintet @ The Cluny
- My One and Only Love - Coltrane/Hartman
- Alter Ego Knockout at Side Café
- Rebecca Parris on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
- RIP Whitey Mitchell
- The Brazilian Connection
- Naudo from Liz
- Back to The Delta by John Taylor
- Waltz for Debby
- Derek Wadsworth - Remembered by Laurie Brown
- RIP David 'Fathead' Newman & Leroy Cooper
- The Heat is On
- Whatever Became of Gordon?
- Mick Shoulder/Graeme Wilson Quartet - Side Café
- Corner House, Newcastle - The Golden Age
- Chet Baker Live at Ronnie Scott's 1986 TV
- More from Angela J.Elliott
- Jazz-O-Matic Four at The Saville Exchange
- Stan Wilde's Wildcats in 1951 from Colin Aitchison...
- Chet - From A Window by Keith Armstrong.
- Chilly at the Chilli - No Heat in Heaton!
- More on the New Orleans Club by John Taylor and Pe...
- New Orleans Club - Roly Veitch
- Extreme Measures at the Side Café
- Angela's Special Edition
- Joscho StephanTrio
- Barry Galbraith by Roly
- Jazz Art
- Keith Stephens Trio and Caroline Irwin. Report by ...
- Take it to the Bridge Explodes
- That "Je Ne Sais Quoi" - Roly
- Words and Music
- Roly Veitch Trio at the Quadrata Café
- Red Rodney at the Corner House 1983
- 2009 Obituaries
- Singin' the Blues
- Senor Blues from Angela J.Elliott
- New Years Resolutions
- ▼ January ( 50 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.