Bebop Spoken There
“The best meal in the world isn't anything unless there is salt and pepper to flavour it - and that's how it is with a band if the rhythm section isn't right.” – Sam Woodyard (Down Beat March 25, 1965).
Today Wednesday March 12
Regular workshop - sitters in welcome.
BUSKERS NIGHT HOSTED BY RUTH LAMBERT - The Avalon, 26 South Parade, Whitlet Bay. 9pm. Free.
All welcome. Keyboards, free buffet, drinks tokens for performers, real ale, real music.
JAZZ ESQUIRES -Black Horse, 68 Front St, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear NE25 8DPPhone:0191 253 69311pm. Free.
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN -Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
New Orleans Jazz. Raffles and a jolly afternoon.
Band includes includes Peter Wright (tpt) and Ian Wynne (pno). Classic New Orleans.
JAZZ AT THE BAY- Cleveland Bay pub, 718 Yarm Rd., Eaglescliffe, TS16 0JE 01642 780275. 9pm.
The Teesside Hot Club swinging at the Bay - fortnightly, back on March 19.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Monday, December 29, 2008
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Friday, December 26, 2008
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Friday, December 19, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Monday, December 08, 2008
Sunday, December 07, 2008
Saturday, December 06, 2008
Thursday, December 04, 2008
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
"Lights Out", a blues drenched opus that gave the title to one of the original albums that make up the set ("Contour" was the other) has more Milesisms from Byrd but it is McLean at his most Parkeresque who goes home with the cigar.Check it out sometime; it's bound to be on CD
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Monday, December 01, 2008
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
- Nov/Dec 2008 Deaths
- Jazz Esquires at the Porthole
- Courtney Pine - C.B.E.
- Freddie Hubbard Dead - age 70. R.I.P.
- A Funny Valentine
- (Good Time) Jazz in the Afternoon at Culler'
- Zoe Gilby and Jim Mullen at Wakefield Jazz Club
- Who is Hilma?
- R.I.P. Eartha - "Santa Baby" Dies on Xmas Day.
- An Elf Warning
- Partying at the Porthole with the Maine Street Jaz...
- Jazz in the Afternoon at Cullercoats
- The Christmas Number One (in Hong Kong)
- Oscar Peterson Trio Live at Ronnie Scott's - BBC 4...
- British Dance Band Music - Liz
- Count Basie Live 1965 - BBC4
- The Swing Thing - BBC 4
- More Djangology from John Taylor
- Louis Armstrong Night on BBC 4
- Django Related Bliss by Liz
- Dave O'Higgins with the Noel Dennis Quartet - Repo...
- Liz Gives Her Age Away!
- Kevin McKenzie Quartet - Schmazz at the Cluny
- Ned Kelly Big Band Clip from Colin Aitchison
- A Little Bit of Bebop
- BBC 4
- WJRK Play HUMPH
- Xmas Party at Blaydon
- Jools Holland and his R & B Orchestra - Report by ...
- Alan Glen Trio Raising the Bar at the Chilli
- Hong Kong News - Colin Aitchison
- Rosemary Squires - Afternoon Delight
- Perdido St. Jazzmen
- Michael Parkinson by Liz
- Favourite - Richie Kamuca by Roly Veitch
- Handbagging at the Elephant. Ashington Jazz Club r...
- Boppin' in Byker
- Jackie, Not Ronnie, McLean
- Clem Avery Photo Gallery
- ▼ December ( 41 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.